75 Gallon Goldfish Aquarium Filter

1. Kattymatt Initiate Member

The only filter I have experience with is the filter that came with my 23 gallon National Geographic aquarium. I like it because during water changes I can just disassemble it, clean, then put it back together easily.

I will be getting a 75 gallon aquarium for goldfish. I will most probably have white sand as the substrate.

I have looked at Amazon and found a Marineland Penguin Power Filter. I was thinking og getting two 30 to 50 gallon 350 GPH.

I also saw an Aquaflow Technology AEF-302 External Filter System, but it seems intimidating.

Any thoughts on these choices?
  2. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I just realized I will need an air pump as well. My current filter is a filter and air pump in one.
    Do they make filter and air pumps in one for 75 gallons?

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

IMO the best filters for a 75 gallon would be canister filters (such as the Fluval 406 or the SunSun 304B). You could also get a couple of HOB filters (such as the Aquaclear HOB filters, Seachem Tidal HOB filters and Aqueon HOB filters). The Aquaflow Technology AEF-302 External Filter System does not have enough flow for a tank your size, especially for goldfish. Aquaclears & Seachem Tidals
    have a customizable area where you can put any filter media you want, and same with any canister filter. Aim for 5x the GPH of your tank if you are getting a canister filter (for example, a 75 gallon would have 350 gph), and 10x flow rate if you are getting HOB filters (for example, a 75 gallon would have 750 gph).
  4. Kattymatt Initiate Member

The Sunsun canister filter is more in my price point than the Fluval. Are canister filters loud? Are they easy to maintain? Why do you prefer them over an HOB?

I see "SunSun-China HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH" on Amazon. Is that what you mean?

5. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

They are generally quieter than most commercially available HOBs. They require a little more effort to maintain than HOBs, but canisters have more area for filter media than any HOB. Yes, its that one.
  6. Kattymatt Initiate Member

Thank you for the insight and recommendations!