75 gallon FOWLR reset. Want to do it right, please advise.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by jimbinsc, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jimbinscNew MemberMember

Hello, my 75 gal tank is empty now except for an ever increasing number of brittle stars. I want to reset it and drill it for a sump.
    Where is the best place so get overflow supplies at? What size hole, BRS said 1 inch would be fine, that gives a flow of 600gph right? Is that enough?
    My stand has 2 side cabinets and an open middle. If I modify it and use the middle and one side cabinet I have a 31x16x25 section. Is a 20 gal sump big enough since that's about all I can fit in that space?
    I would love to hear from others so I maybe can avoid costly mistakes and reworking.
    Tank is 75 gallon with a 1 to 1.5 inch sand bed and 60 lbs of rock. I bought 50 dry and 10 lbs live from LFS.
    2 Koralia 450 ph. An Eheim 2213 canister with just filter pads (to move more water). 300 watt heater. Reef Octopus BH2000 HOB Skimmer. Lit by a single 48 inch T8 bulb.
    No inhabitants other than brittle stars, bristleworms and snails and one hermit crab.
    I haven't checked the parameters since there's no fish.
    I was away due to health issues so maintenance was lacking for a few months.

2. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2
    A 20G is quite a common size for a sump. It's big enough to allow a refugium, skimmer, return, heaters etc.

As for drilling your tank, do you know if it is tempered glass? If it is, I would not try drill it. Tempered glass shatters quite easily.

For a 75G, you'd be wanting somewhere between 5 and 10x flow through your sump. I have a 1.5" diameter standpipe that reduces to a 2 way 1" drain pipe. I have 530GPH running through the sump.