75 gallon discus tank (re-scape)

MoshJosh

You must be registered to see images

Finally got around to re-scaping my community tank and added the discus. I added new rock, sand, and gravel, but used a bunch of stuff from the previous scape as well. All the plants are from the previous scape, and most were covered in algea. I washed them with hydrogen peroxide and am dosing excel, I’ll be curious to see if they make a comeback. . . Or if they melt.

current stocking 6 Santorum discus, 2 angels (juvenile), 6 emerald Corys, and 1 apisto. Would love to try adding some shrimp, but could end up as a pricey snack for the discus. Would also love a small school of fish. . . Not sure though, as I’m probably pretty close to being fully stocked. smaller variety of rainbows, tetras, or rasboras???

will probably add more plants and a little more hard scape. Want to do a much smaller rock formation on the right side.

86 ssinit

Tank looks great. Instead of rocks put a plant on the right. I have a few that I could send you that will grow to the top and give your discus a place to hide.

I’m not a fan of angels. They tend to be more aggressive than the discus. Discus are allways showing stress bars with angels.

FinalFins

Santarems are looking nice. How big are they now?

RollaPear

This looks fantastic! The island scape in particular should work well here because it gives the discus a chance to break sight lines if and when needed. My only two points of advice are things that were relayed to me. And on that note I'd add a prefilter sponge. Discus are poop heavy and the build up in bacteria inside a filter happens a lot quicker with this species. And also, you might want to consider upping your filtration capacity.

I'm not familiar with HOB filters at all so that the filtration could be perfect and have a prefilter already installed?

That aside, you're off to a awesome start. Thanks for posting.

MoshJosh

Tank looks great. Instead of rocks put a plant on the right. I have a few that I could send you that will grow to the top and give your discus a place to hide.

I’m not a fan of angels. They tend to be more aggressive than the discus. Discus are allways showing stress bars with angels.
Yes, would love to do a plant on the right something real big. Not sure what yet though. Thinking jungle Val or some other Val on the far left of the island to kind of flow over the top as well.

Yeah, I’m sort of stuck with the Angels. Don’t get me wrong I like them but I would certainly rather have the discus. That being said the angels are one of the few fish my wife actually cares about, and it behooves me to keep her happy. Also they’re The only fish we’ve ever raised from eggs. . . So yeah

86 ssinit

As to the filter is it a 75 or a 110. A nice second filter is the odyssea 250.

MoshJosh

Santarems are looking nice. How big are they now?

I think the largest is like 3 inches, maybe a bit more. That said, I expect the growth to slow. I was feeding a lot of beef heart and doing very frequent water changes, but I’m probably going to have to feed more conservatively in this tank to prevent algae and reduce number of water changes. . . I think

MoshJosh

This looks fantastic! The island scape in particular should work well here because it gives the discus a chance to break sight lines if and when needed. My only two points of advice are things that were relayed to me. And on that note I'd add a prefilter sponge. Discus are poop heavy and the build up in bacteria inside a filter happens a lot quicker with this species. And also, you might want to consider upping your filtration capacity.

I'm not familiar with HOB filters at all so that the filtration could be perfect and have a prefilter already installed?

That aside, you're off to a awesome start. Thanks for posting.

Right now I’m using a Tidal 75 and a small sponge filter, ultimately I want a canister filter with a built-in heater to reduce equipment in the tank.

RollaPear

Right now I’m using a Tidal 75 and a small sponge filter, ultimately I want a canister filter with a built-in heater to reduce equipment in the tank.

Try "Oase BioMaster Thermo 600"

It has an large internal preilter and an internal/slot of a heater. I have the 350 as a backup to an FX series. I think the flow is lacking on the 350 which is why I'd recommend the 600.

MoshJosh

Try "Oase BioMaster Thermo 600"

It has an large internal preilter and an internal/slot of a heater. I have the 350 as a backup to an FX series. I think the flow is lacking on the 350 which is why I'd recommend the 600.

that looks pretty sweet, and not to terribly expensive which is a plus!!!

now I just have to decide on final stocking. Like I said, I’d like to add a school of some kind, or maybe get more dwarf cichlids? What y’all think?

RollaPear

that looks pretty sweet, and not to terribly expensive which is a plus!!!

now I just have to decide on final stocking. Like I said, I’d like to add a school of some kind, or maybe get more dwarf cichlids? What y’all think?

Dwarf Cichlid would be rams but if I ever found an apisto compatible with discus temps apisto I'd get one asap.

MoshJosh

Added the Val and stems

MoshJosh

Swapped one of the old swords out for this Saint Elmos Fire sword. The old one was barely hanging on, and I didn’t think I could save it. Also added a sword to the right side.

New Aquarium Build Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom