75 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jonnyroton, Jun 16, 2019.

1. jonnyroton

jonnyrotonNew MemberMember

As I have posted before I was infected with MTS. We started off with a 20 long that Santa brought the family for Christmas. I have experience from about 15 years ago. I have learned a lot from this forum and our 20 gallon. I purchased a 75 gallon from my LFS and picked it up yesterday. I started with with a 50 lb bag of BDBS Medium Grit and decided to go back today to buy another bag. It was pretty simple to wash and looks great. Looking forward to getting some plants in the tank. The log has a perfect place for some soil and plants. Doing a fishless cycle with ammonia from Ace Hardware

75 gallon Marineland tank
    Aquaclear 110 hob filter
    Large sponge filter
    Tetra 150 Air Pump
    Marineland 250 Heater
    About 75-80 lbs of BDBS from Tractor Supply Company
    Plants- still working on what I want
    Fish-unsure of stocking yet

Suggestions for fish and plants welcome. IMG_7242.JPGIMG_7248.JPG

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Here are some fish I suggest
    1. Keyhole Cichlids
    2. Moonlight Gourami
    3. Peacock Gudgeons
    4. Sun Eclipse Catfish
    5. African Butterfly Fish
    6. Synodontis Eupterus
    7. Earth Eater Fish

3. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

Thank you! I will take a look and see which of those fish will work well!

4. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

Plants added! So I purchased some plants and added them to the tank today. I added the following:
    Christmas Moss on a coconut rabbit (for my daughter. It was that or a mermaid cat from petsmart lol)
    Java Fern
    Micranthemum Umbrosum
    Mini Bolbitis (baby leaf)
    Dwarf Sag
    I put root tabs (fluval) near each plant and have a liquid fert. I’m still cycling so I’m curious if I should put the fert in yet or wait. Any help with that would be appreciated. I can’t wait for the plants to start growing out. I need something floating (thinking guppy grass) and some tall flowing plant for the left side under the filter.

I still need to put a black background on the tank as well to hide the cords etc. The water right now is a little brown from the tannins from my drift wood. Now to be patient and wait for the cycle to complete so I can add fish and not stare at just plants and rocks :)IMG_7371.JPGIMG_7372.JPG

5. Brian Knowles

Brian KnowlesValued MemberMember

Great looking tank!!!

6. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

Thank you I am liking how it’s coming together!!

7. NC122606

Hello! Got any ideas for you stocking yet? I am interested in what you plan to put in!

8. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

Hey @NC122606 I’m not sure for stocking. For sure some sort of cory’s, a couple schools of fish, but really I’m all over the place lol. I will take a look at your suggestions tonight though.

9. JonJal

JonJalValued MemberMember

I recommend electric blue acaras, rainbow cichlids , or keyhole cichlids with a small school of yellow rainbowfish, bosemani rainbowfish or dwarf praecox rainbowfish or mix n match. They are all very peaceful and colorful and easy to keep. All three types of cichlids have great personalities, very curios and fun to watch.

10. NC122606

I will be getting some Keyholes for my 29!

11. Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

12. JonJal

Great choice! You will love them.

13. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

As much as I would love discus I’m not ready to take the plunge with them lol. 2 young kids prevent that at this point. But I will have them in the future!

14. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

I have been thinking and discussing with the family. My wife is in love with Dalmatian molliies, so I was think a large community tank. Would German blue rams, maybe one or two go with a community tank?

15. JonJal

I wouldn't. Mollies can get antagonistic towards others and seem not to respect others space. The rams.. especially when spawning.. can be very territorial. If it is a very large tank maybe, but I wouldn't risk it IMO.

16. NC122606

My experience with Dalmatian Mollies are not the best. They poop a ton, they breed like crazy and they don’t not let anyone eat stealing everything.

17. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

Well the cycle has started! Ammonia has turned to nitrites and some nitrates are showing. I re dosed ammonia tonight and will check again tomorrow. I have added seachem stability as well. Getting close and now to try to figure out fish. I have looked at the suggestions and am leaning twords some Gbr or something similar. I want a couple schools of fish as well so probably will do cardinal tetras and maybe rummy nose. I really like the rainbow fish as well.

18. OP
    OP
    jonnyroton

It has been a while since I updated. The current inhabitants are 8 neon tetras, 5 ember tetras, 4 male guppies, albino bristle nose pleco, regular bristle nose pleco, clown pleco, 4 skunk cories (had 6 lost 2). Things seem to be going well and will add to the cories soon.

Attached Files: