75 Gallon Build Fresh Start... Again

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm finally in the process of fishless cycling my 75 gallon after these last couple weeks. I found the right ammonia (without surfactant, 10% janitorial strength) and did two 95% water changes as well as rinsed all four bio-wheels and both filter boxes with extremely hot water. I threw out all four carbon cartridges that were in when I added the wrong ammonia and replaced them with two fresh cartridges and two established cartridges (+8 years) from my moms tank (one established cartridge/one new cartridge in each box). Finally, no more suds on the water's surface where the filters spill out!!! I also added another Aqueon 200 watt heater because the single one was running non stop and had to be set to about 88 degrees to keep the tank at 80 degrees.

I added Seachem Prime while refilling the tank and let the sand settle last night before turning the filters back on. Earlier today I dosed the tank with an eye dropper with the ammonia to roughly 2-3 ppm. My pH is 7.8 and temperature is steady at 80 degrees. I didn't get a chance to test my gH or kH yet.

Sound like I'm off to a better start? Any suggestions as to what to dose the ammonia to? I keep reading conflicting things, some say not to dose over 4 ppm in order to not stall the cycle but then read of others who dose to 6-8 ppm. Also, anyone have any suggestions for a good/cheap mounting bracket for a LED strip shop light with chains? I was thinking about just using two cheap Exo Terra "stick-on-tank" brackets meant for reptile lights.

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good luck on 75 redo! Ammonia can be dosed higher and I know people who started with much higher strength. I personally have had good results in 2-4 ppm range start. All I do is to add a seeded filter pad from a healthy tank into my filter which helps in getting the beneficial bacteria established in 1-2 weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom