75 gallon "before" and "after"

1. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Before:

75 before.jpg

Step 1 (scoop out some used tank water, place plants and fish in large bucket with airstone):

75 step 1.jpg

Step 2 (set up python to drain tank):

75 step 2.jpg

Step 3 (use small dustpan to shovel old substrate out of tank and into bucket)

( 75 step 3.jpg

Step 4 (tank is as empty as it's gonna get)

75 step 4.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Step 5 (choice of substrate)

75 step 5.jpg

Step 6 (lay substrate down, place driftwood, stones and plants in place)

75 step 6.jpg

Step 7 (fill with appropriate temp water and Prime, place fish into their new home)

75 step 7.jpg

Step 8 (After - Happy Fish!)

75 step 8.jpg

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I liked the 'before' but the 'after' looks great!

What is the blue fish with the parrots?

4. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

looks like emperor tetras. i love the tank! personally id switch the background to black.

5. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Yes, those are emperor tetras. Apache, my featherfin cat, now has so many tunnels to explore in the driftwood, he wasn't out until I put the camera down. :p

Yeah, I'm considering another background. Wouldn't that be too much black, though? Black substrate, black tank edges and stand, black background?

6. allaboutfish

ive seen it before. it gives the tank a more dark feeling but with lots of plants it looks good. you could get a double sided one with blue on the other and see which you like more. personally i dont like the ones with actual stuff in the background.

7. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

I had gotten that special gunk that you spread on the back of the glass to adhere the backing to, supposed to make it look 3D. Didn't take long for it to separate and now there are what look like tubes that I can't flatten out on the back. Driving me a little nuts. I've always had printed background, never had plain. But it's still an option.

8. MD Angels

MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Very nice Lynda! I love the step by step photo log. Always fun to see!

9. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Thanks, I actually only did the step-by-step process because lots of people had been asking about the process itself. It's not that hard as long as you have your "mise en place". Anybody who spends time in a kitchen knows that means you gather all your ingredients together before you start the recipe to make it easier. ;)

10. allaboutfish

i did that too and the same thing happened. i wish i would've waited a little long and painted it black,

11. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Very nice Lynda!

12. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow tank looks great

13. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

Awesome job Lynda!!!!!!Love the parrots!!!!! Im am soooooooo the opposite....every tank I own has a solid background...except for my discus tank. I was able to almost match the wood and the plants from the background and the tank looks 3D ....this was what I was aiming at. But I'll tell ya this......parrots look beyond and back again against blue backgrounds really makes them pop!!!!!!

14. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I love the tank...beautiful.

15. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Technically, you forgot to fill the tank back up with water :p

16. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

Looks awesome! :)

17. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Wow, what an improvement. That's a very nice look. Well done!

18. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Looks great!

19. E

Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Looking good, I agree with the black background. A lot of black works with lots of plants!

20. escapay

escapay Well Known Member Member

The tank looks great!! I'm hoping mine will turn out half as good when it gets finished.