75 gal. tank/refugium question

scottjones
Hello--i'm going to be starting a 75 gal. saltwater tank and am thinking about a DIY refugium. My question is (not sure if this would be the right section to post in) i'm looking at a remora protein skimmer with a drain tube. I'm thinking of the one with the drain tube to run from there down to the 'fuge. Has anyone had any experience with this and am I off-base in thinking that will work?

travie
How do you plan to get the water from the fuge to the main tank?

cerianthus
Personally I would not use skimmed water for refuge. Very little water from tank should go directly into Refuge. Water returning from Refuge should be skimmed along with most water from the tank then returned to tank, IMO.

scottjones
ok. that's why I wanted to ask before I did anything...can anyone recommend a pump to go between the tank to the fuge and back?

travie
You will definitely have a flood on your floor. The pump and the draining from the skimmer would have to be the exact same for a flood not to occur. Look into getting an overflow box and a pump rated for slightly less GPH then the overflow. Forget about the idea of draining water from the skimmer.

scottjones
ok--re-evaluated it...looking at doing a couple eheim compact pumps, around 160gph, one in tank to go to the fuge and one coming out back into the tank, with a skimmer in the fuge. does this sound a little better? still a little fuzzy on the execution...

sorry--I know it's a lot of rookie questions, but I want to make sure I get everything down...i'm in the habit of planning due to my job, so I apologize and want to say thanks again for everyone's input and help.

cerianthus
It's OK. Everyone was rookie one time or another. Even can learn new from rookie if one keep his/her mind open.

Let me ask you this. Are you talking about Remora Protein Skimmer or Surface Skimmer (Overflow Box)?
I am trying to figure out how you are draining water from tank to sump/refugium (under the tank.
Are you using hang on back (HOB) refuge?

If have pics of tank and all the equipments you might have, I may be able to prep. schematic dwg for you.

scottjones
haven't purchased anything yet...wanted to plan things out while i'm waiting on taxes...good ol' uncle sam, right?

what i'm thinking now is tracking down an old aquarium I had as a kid that would be a good size for this...thinking about using one of the eheim submesible pumps to run the water down to the fuge. after it processes through the filter (comes in kit I was looking at), through the middle section (live rock/sand, macroalgae), to the skimmer (remora HOB protein skimmer, but could go with another model due to setup) to the return pump (another eheim submersible).

cerianthus
No. Do not pump water down to Sump/Refuge. Use overflow Box (surface skimmer) to gravity drain to sump/Refuge. Then pump(#1) water into skimmer to another chamber where Return Pump(#2) will pumps water back to tank. You can devise partitions using different height to work this. Let water trickle into Refuge then trickle to back to chamber where Pump #2 is retuning the water to tank.
If overflow box is rated for 600 GPH then must not go too much more w/ return pump.

I used used Mag 7 (700 GPH) if tank has one Overflow Box (1"U-tube; 600GPH). Never had problem with this combo since Return Pump loose capavcity due to head pressure.
Always had T-off w/ two valves to control the return, just in case.

On a tank with TWO Over flow boxes, used to use Mag 12 or other external pumps.

I don't think Eheim Pump is stong enough to be used as Return Pump, not even strong enough on most venturI Protein Skimmers (PS manuf will specify the pump requirement).

Never pump the water down to sump or as matter of fact when pumps below top of the tank. If return pump fails, your Eheim pump in the tank will conitnuously pump to its position (height) in the tank. This is disaster waiting to happen.

Hope this helped a bit.

scottjones
yes--that does help a good bit. would you still go with the remora skimmer or is there another that might be better suited?

travie
Not the best video for info, but it helps explain things:

cerianthus
Pic is worth thousand words, well video too!!. Nice going travie!
I am sure this help a lot in understanding hydrodynamic,LOL.

Hey Travie,
If and when you want to increase the flow to max, try my method of modifying U-tube.
With this modification, you can increase the flow to its max but also easier prime the U-tube (just suck on the air line tubing)
This requires constant checking and removing air pocket but you can even connect air line tubing to small PH (venturI nozzle?) for constant removal of air pocket. With this method, some water (very little) will return right back to tank but no worry about air pocket w/o cutting down the flow.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom