75 G - 1 week after setup (pics)

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Isabella, thnk you, now i have another question...
(I'm gonna be really picking your brain on plants...lol)
In another reply here you said something about getting a good balance between plants and fish. OK, that sonds logical. But how do you determine what's a good balance? Is there a specific formula for it, or is it just a "use your best judgement" thing?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Jim That's how we learn - by asking questions

That's a good question by the way, and I don't have a 100% accurate answer. You may want to ask about it on plant geek - people over there are REALLY knowledgeable about planted tanks. I have learned a lot from Plant Geek.

Anyway, I believe you cannot have too many fish and you cannot have too few fish in a planted tank. I mean, maybe you can have very few fish if you're adding CO2 and lots of fertilizers, but that's not my type of tank and I know nothing about it. In most low-light tanks, such as mine, and especially those without fertilizers or good nutrient-rich substrates, there should be enough fish to produce enough wastes. These fish wastes are then used as nutrients by the plants. But, of course, you do not want too many fish either as too much waste may cause algae. So, I cannot give you an exact answer, but I think (my opinion) a medium fish load is good for a planted tank. Never overstock in any tank, be it a planted or a regular tank. My fish load in my 75 gallon tank will be medium. I guess you do have to use your best judgement, but like I said, you may want to check with Plant Geek on that matter.

I think this book is GREAT in terms of the explanation of the relationship between plants and fish wastes (the correct balance):

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I guess you could say my tank is stocked medium, going by the inch per gallon method. And nothing has died...lol... so I guess I'm doing something right. In fact, everything is nice and green.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jim said:
Thanks... I guess you could say my tank is stocked medium, going by the inch per gallon method.  And nothing has died...lol... so I guess I'm doing something right.  In fact, everything is nice and green. 
And that's how it should be I'm glad all is working out well for you. Good luck with your tank

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good luck to you too... thanks

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If possible do you know if there is a difference between the plus and normal legs Isabella, because my dad's going to order a aqualight for me and I don't know if there's a big difference besides a measurement?

thanks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Atm, I don't really know the difference. All I know is I've been told on Plant Geek to the the Plus legs, and they work for me. But if this helps, here is what the descriptions on Big Al's Online say:

Coralife Aqualight Mounting Legs: "The aqualight mounting legs easily attach to any aqualight fixture. Four mounting legs and hardware are included." ( )

Coralife Aqualight Plus Mounting Legs: "These mounting legs can be used on any Aqualight, with the exception of the Aqualight Pro fixtures. 4 pack, clear colored legs." ( )

Coralife Aqualight Adjustable Mounting Legs: "Aqualight Adjustable Mounting Legs allow your light fixture to be positioned at a 90 degree angle for easy access to the aquarium. These legs can be used with all Aqualights, Freshwater Aqualight and Lunar Aqualight fixtures." ( )

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok only difference I know is the measurement. I'll get the plus legs, just need to convince my dad that 48w of compact fluerescent lights don't use a lot of electricity.

thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom