40 Gallon Tank 73 days pregnant but hasn't given birth and aggressive

AquaRain
Hey, so this is about moonstone snows female fry that is now 6-7 months old, she last gave birth 103 days ago and got pregnant pretty much as soon as possible so 30 days later as the males were all over her (i now have only 3 males, 1 adult), she's 73 days pregnant and hasn't given birth yet, she goes into the breeder net on her own will so i just put the lid on just recently but im afraid to leave it on overnight because of my past experiences and i don't want her to be afraid of it either as she is quite defensive over it, she is aggressive to anyone who comes in, how can i encourage her to give birth? Its been 73 days and I'm getting worried, not just for her but her fry as im actually planning to save some
She last gave birth on the 2nd of july
I just put the light off hoping she gives birth, I'll leave it off for an hr or 2 as thats in my comfort range....
Decided to put the lid off as she freaks out when its dark and she can't go to her sister...

Attachments

• IMG20221019165502.jpg
    IMG20221019165502.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 33
Ghelfaire
She might be too stressed and absorbed the fry.

emeraldking
Just know that the gestation period in mollies takes longer than in guppies. A couple of months of pregnancy isn't rare in mollies. If she's actually pregnant and she stays uncomfortable to drop her fry, she may absorb them at some point. And no worries, absorbing those embryos won't hurt a female.

If she swims and eats well, I'd leave her...

AquaRain
Just know that the gestation period in mollies takes longer than in guppies. A couple of months of pregnancy isn't rare in mollies. If she's actually pregnant and she stays uncomfortable to drop her fry, she may absorb them at some point. And no worries, absorbing those embryos won't hurt a female.

If she swims and eats well, I'd leave her...
Ok
She might be too stressed and absorbed the fry.
Oh
She's eating and swimming well but i think the male is stoping her from giving birth and I'm worried as i don't want the fry to die in her as im planning to save a few of them..... And since snow means a lot to me and passed not long ago it means more to me to save a few of her daughters frys....
I also don't want her to suffer from it as she is pregnant and her fry would have hatched by now.... I just hope that she gives birth while I'm there and doesn't hold back on it either as if im there im able to help her by giving her space from the male so that she isn't bothered by him

AquaRain
Ok, so at this point im just waiting hoping everything goes well as her belly is getting huge yet still has such a huge appetite, her belly is swollen as it would be in a pregnant molly but hers is the biggest i think i have seen since snows 1st pregnancy, moonstones belly is just so big atm, she is now 83 days pregnant

AquaRain
Snowflake just died and joined snow (her mother) in heaven, i tried cpr but have 0 experience in it and couldn't save her i also tried giving her air by doing mouth to mouth and it didn't work, i was too late, tears are running down my face while im writing this, moonstone is so attached to snowflake and was actually with her when she died and she didn't leave her, I'm just so upset right now and it hurts, I'm no longer excited for moonstones fry as snowflake is gone.... I saw her last alive yesterday before bed

emeraldking
So, sorry to hear...

AquaRain
So, sorry to hear...
Its alright, im sure she'll be happy in heaven with her mother swimming in peace

AquaRain
Ok so this is day 87, she gave birth and eatting while giving birth, idk how but somehow its an early birth, i have 2 fry

This is one of the fry, unfortunately while i was at school the lid came of that i use so the adults don't go in came off but they weren't eaten by the adult fishes but by shrimps, algae shrimps, 1 was smart enough and strong enough to swim and swimmed out of the net and survived, i now have the net all the way up with the stream of water changed so that its not always piling up a big bubble which pops each 5secs, idk if there are any more fry but i know that i have one and I'll show you this cutie
I think she is still pregnant

Attachments

• IMG20221102163813_BURST004.jpg
    IMG20221102163813_BURST004.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 12
AquaRain
Update: the fry is doing very good and healthy, moonstone has decided to hide in the castle where she can have a rest from being chased by the male all the time

Attachments

• IMG_20221104_130349.jpg
    IMG_20221104_130349.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 12
AquaRain
Sigh, im still mourning my loss of both snow and snowflake, i wish i would have known that i could've done cpr
Its literally all songs about your loved ones that you lost that i hear and think of snow, i have both guilt and sadness in me, i know i did nothing wrong but it still hurts sigh
I have snowdrop who takes care of the fry which im happy about its just that i wish i could bring snow back
When i look at the frys it reminds me of snow, i wish i didn't rehome most because of space, i wish i knew what was going to happen
Anyway, the fry is doing great and growing well

AquaRain
Update: snowdrop gave birth and moonstones baby is out of the breeder net, I'm not sure what happened but when i looked at her she looked to be purple with no spots I'll update you about her when she is older and see if she keeps the purple coat colour
I'll see if i can get a good photo but she is still very little but twice the size of my biggest mollys mouth
Ok, i am so sorry for the very bad quality of the photo, she kept getting scared of the others who wanted to say hi to me and kept bolting, this is the best photo atm that i could take, I'll get better ones when she is older and not so scared

Screenshot_2022-11-20-20-27-15-37_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
Im not sure if the colour will darken or stay but i love her so much right now
I got to save 9 of snowdrops fry, im pretty sure im getting another tank for Christmas so hopefully space won't be an issue

AquaRain
I'm so upset, i have an angel fish in my tank and i think she killed her, she was big enough twice the size of the mouth of my biggest molly which is really big
I'll let you know if i see her again, i was really attached and im very down about it
Any chance it could have went in the pump? If so could it still be alive?
I was so happy and very very surprised with this baby that it was purple and i got very attached to it, i just want it to be alive

AquaRain
I will save 5 of her fry when she gives birth again, surely if she had a purple fry she will have one again, I'll let you know when she gives birth

AquaRain
Someone is giving birth but idk who cause they are all eating, i think its night storm (one of my new mollies my mum got me)

AquaRain
Ok so very good news, i have just now saved 10 fry which are from one of snows fry who isn't an adult yet but got pregnant early, her fry have developed a purple tint to them or purple coat colour, not everyone but a few, I've learned my lesson from my angelfish and will let them stay in the breeder net for 1 month but since there are 10 I'm going to get a large breeder net for Christmas hopefully and transfer them into it as a grow out space hopefully
Photos below
Circled the fry in one photo, the next photo is the original photo
In total there are 13 fry in the net 3 older and 10 younger
I gave 7 of the 9 fry to my mum for her tank
From snowdrop, my sister also has 7 others from snowdrop so we got to save a lot of hers.....

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_134658.jpg
    IMG_20221211_134658.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20221211134208.jpg
    IMG20221211134208.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20221211134200.jpg
    IMG20221211134200.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20221211134027.jpg
    IMG20221211134027.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20221211134026.jpg
    IMG20221211134026.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20221211134023.jpg
    IMG20221211134023.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20221211134019.jpg
    IMG20221211134019.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20221211134015.jpg
    IMG20221211134015.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 12
AquaRain
I'll update in regards to coloration and how they are doing when they are probably about 2-3 weeks older and have developed their colour, my lyre tail moon has been developing some stunning colouration that atm sadly won't show up on camera, tbh idk what his genes are but he is developing blue all over which is stunning because he is a Dalmatian lyre tail but is mostly black since a while so I'm pretty sure its his genes that are causing this colouration in the fry, regardless tho i love them either way, if he ever develops the dark blue colour that you see in those not too common mollies, i doubt moon (my lyre) will develop such colours but i love to keep my hopes up! (they aren't very common in my area sadly and aren't sold here....) I'll definitely take a picture and show
All of the little ones are doing great!
Heres 2 of the fry from when i caught them and was transfering them into the net! There are 4 in here and 2 in the other photo, i caught 1 more later on, i caught 5 the day before i caught these little ones sorry that they are not the best of quality

Attachments

• IMG20221207135511.jpg
    IMG20221207135511.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20221207135519_BURST003.jpg
    IMG20221207135519_BURST003.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 9
AquaRain
I need quick help to understand what is happening, my male Dalmatian lye tail is discolorated like white-ish patches all over him idk how old he was when we got but we got him this year near the start i think
He is also acting strange
Nothing to do with the water
He is also hiding
His eyes look swollen too
And yes he is the farther of most of my fry from snow
He won't chase anyone anymore and he is the most dominate male!
He is my only lyre tail
I believe i had him 8-9 months im not sure maybe more
If he is just old I'll do what i can
He's still eating
I have a lot of frys from him though

AquaRain
Ok so last night snowdrop gave birth to 50+ frys, i can't save them all but i did save 4
30-40 in a group!
The rest are hiding
Photos below

IMG20221224125132.jpg
I have 16 frys in the net now, but i believe that im going to have extra room for them tomorrow!
My mum will be getting 5 of them

Attachments

• IMG20221224125130.jpg
    IMG20221224125130.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 8
DaniosForever
Look like healthy fry

AquaRain
Look like healthy fry
Yeah, they are gorgeous :)
Less than 2 months ago she gave birth to around 25-30 i saved a lot from that batch and 2-3 weeks after another younger female gave birth forward to now there are so many, wish i could save them all, they are lovely
Merry christmas
This is a photo of the mother after birth

IMG20221224140247.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20221224140250.jpg
    IMG20221224140250.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 7
DaniosForever
Merry Christmas to you too also I’m thinking about getting black mollies will they do well in neutral to acidic water?

AquaRain
Merry Christmas to you too also I’m thinking about getting black mollies will they do well in neutral to acidic water?
Im not sure, black mollies prefer ph 7.5 to 8.2 im not yet too experienced as i only started keeping them last year near december
As long as your nitrite and ammonia are good and the ph is ok i think they should be good, I'd probably do a bit of research on it as there could be posts online about it as well

DaniosForever
Thanks I’ll make a thread about this

AquaRain
AquaRain
Got a 30g tank for christmas with glass built in seperating 15gs from the other side so 15g on both sides, im planning on housing a betta on each side with mollies, i did the inch per gallon rule with my calculator and decided to have 6 on each side, i know it will most likely be a bit overcrowded but i want to know your opinions on this
So 6 mollies each 2 inches are going to be 12g and for the betta I think its size is 3-4 inches so i + the 4 inches which is 4 gallons is = to 16 but i believe it would be 3 so 15 and the mollies would most likely be 1.5-2inches
It would be 13g for 1.5 inches of mollies so extra 2g and it would be 12g if the betta is 3
I have 22 frys currently in the net all already have homes i'll have 17, of course they are not going to be in the same tank and 5 are going to my mum
The betta im getting will still be a baby
Update on the other 13 fry, they are doing very well growing very fast, some have developed a purple blue-ish colour so im very excited to see what they will look like when they grow up! When they are big enough to be released I'll show a photo of them..... Its almost impossible to show their colour through the net as it tends to get discoloured or dirty with plant growth

AquaRain
Ok so here are a few photos of the tank and the fry

IMG20221227144921.jpg

IMG20221227144948.jpg
They are going to stay in here for 1-2 months and then my mum will choose 5 for her tank and i will seperate the rest into there forever homes
There are now 27 fry

Attachments

• IMG20221227144916.jpg
    IMG20221227144916.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20221227144909.jpg
    IMG20221227144909.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20221227151339.jpg
    IMG20221227151339.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20221227151337.jpg
    IMG20221227151337.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20221227151335.jpg
    IMG20221227151335.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 12
AquaRain
Pls someone reply, my male molly moon was moved into the new tank which was still cycling with lots of cycled water and now is trying very hard to fight for his life and doesn't want to die, atm we have no medication but will get it when we can idk whats wrong but i moved him back into the bigger tank but put him in the breeder net so he doesn't get chased by the male, he made it through the night but idk how to help him avoid death this is a photo before i moved him into the better cycled water what temp is best for his survival at the moment?
And yes he is my only lyre tail and i love him so much i had him for nearly a year now
This is urgent as he's right now dying from something but jumps back to life before death and keeps fighting i want to help him but ran out of options

Attachments

• IMG20221228185457.jpg
    IMG20221228185457.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 7
Flyfisha
I don’t have any mollies in my tanks AquaRain but I know they need hard water to thrive long term .
They need lots of minerals in the water to regulate oxygen from the water properly / to breathe well.

The GH of their water needs to be high . ( General Hardness )
They are a species that can live in salt water but can’t live in very soft water.

If you have aquarium salt this is the time to add a little. A tablespoon per gallon maximum. Definitely not table salt with iodine in it.

There is no such thing as cycled water.
The inch per gallon rule not a thing used in the year 2022.

I am not aware of the GH of your water or if you have ever mentioned it? Any GOOD pet shop will know the GH of your town’s water supply.
Mollies need at least 100 ppm GH if not more.

An important question.
Does your house tap water go through a filter ?
You may be able to get unfiltered tap water from an outside tap?

Edit
I should say I am on the side of a lake with very limited phone coverage for the next 24 hours.

Attachments

• B5CAD84D-C31A-4590-9EC8-5392516CEDA1.png
    B5CAD84D-C31A-4590-9EC8-5392516CEDA1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
AquaRain
I don’t have any mollies in my tanks AquaRain but I know they need hard water to thrive long term .
They need lots of minerals in the water to regulate oxygen from the water properly / to breathe well.

The GH of their water needs to be high . ( General Hardness )
They are a species that can live in salt water but can’t live in very soft water.

If you have aquarium salt this is the time to add a little. A tablespoon per gallon maximum. Definitely not table salt with iodine in it.

There is no such thing as cycled water.
The inch per gallon rule not a thing used in the year 2022.

I am not aware of the GH of your water or if you have ever mentioned it? Any GOOD pet shop will know the GH of your town’s water supply.
Mollies need at least 100 ppm GH if not more.

An important question.
Does your house tap water go through a filter ?
You may be able to get unfiltered tap water from an outside tap?

Edit
I should say I am on the side of a lake with very limited phone coverage for the next 24 hours.
I don't know the hardness but every other molly in the tank are doing great and my parents don't like to use aquarium salt butttt i will ask as soon as she has the money as thats when we are able to get the medicine, im not sure if its filtered i don't think it is but thats only because i didn't ask yet how do i test the gh of the water? Oh thats interesting as here in darwin when we set up our tanks and the water is still trying to figure itself out we call it cycling and thanks for letting me know about the gallon per inch i will definitely make sure i add less fish to each side :) im in darwin so we have pet barn and petstock
Im still newish to this hobby so im still learning and so are my parents
Is aquarium salt good for angel fish, corydoras and platys too?
We do have an tap outside but will have to ask my parents these questions tomorrow as they are headed to bed
And thank you so much for trying to help i will give him help as soon as i can and if he somehow does fight through until a week ish later he will get the medicine
And i will try my best to get them to get the aquarium salt though i think the hardness is alright i agree that it may not be very high because of how long my mollies live so i will try my best to get my hands on aquarium salt so he has the best chance
My mum said that our gh is more than ok and they tested it in the shop.....
Idk how old he was when i got him, i got him from hurleys and had him for around 10 months so maybe he is just old? But i think he might be sick with bacteria somehow although idk how he got sick if he is sick

Flyfisha
I did not know you lived in Oz, I think the filters on house taps is something American housed have . I don’t know if it’s an Australian thing or not ?

API make a test kit for GH and KH that is very similar to the liquid test kit used for ammonia and nitrites etc. However you don’t need to buy one as it’s the sort of test you only do once. A good aquarium shop will know Darwin’s water. Unless you are keeping African cichlids you don’t really need your own test kit.

On the chart in that picture I posted it show’s the hardness for angels. All fish from the Amazon river system are soft water species. Mollies are from Mexico ( I think) .
To answer your question.
No salt is not good for any fish long term .
The correct minerals for hard water include magnesium plus others I can’t remember right now calcium is one .
Salt is however a good medication short term for fresh water fish.
Aquarium salt is just ordinary salt without iodine.
Rock salt or Kosher salt that has no iodine is a lot cheaper.

Can we put a ten inch Oscar in a ten gallon tank?

AquaRain
I did not know you lived in Oz, I think the filters on house taps is something American housed have . I don’t know if it’s an Australian thing or not ?

API make a test kit for GH and KH that is very similar to the liquid test kit used for ammonia and nitrites etc. However you don’t need to buy one as it’s the sort of test you only do once. A good aquarium shop will know Darwin’s water. Unless you are keeping African cichlids you don’t really need your own test kit.

On the chart in that picture I posted it show’s the hardness for angels. All fish from the Amazon river system are soft water species. Mollies are from Mexico ( I think) .
To answer your question.
No salt is not good for any fish long term .
The correct minerals for hard water include magnesium plus others I can’t remember right now calcium is one .
Salt is however a good medication short term for fresh water fish.
Aquarium salt is just ordinary salt without iodine.
Rock salt or Kosher salt that has no iodine is a lot cheaper.

Can we put a ten inch Oscar in a ten gallon tank?
Ok thank you for your help and answering my questions and no we can't put a 10 inch oscar in a 10g tank, im not sure if it is either, as i wasn't born here but moved here when i was young, I'll make sure I'll do everything i can for him while I'm waiting for the medicine :)
He is still breathing today :)
Good news he gets medicine today, i found some medicine left in a pimafix bottle and it also aids the healing of internal and external bacterial infections, he'll get it tonight my mum will give it to him
Hopefully he gets better
This will help his fight for life

Attachments

• IMG20221230150830.jpg
    IMG20221230150830.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 6
Flyfisha
Good luck. Fingers crossed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticQueen