72 Gallon - Rainbowfish realistic?

yegben

Hi all,
I’m looking for some feedback. I have decided that I really like some of the medium to larger Rainbowfish species— I.e. Boesemani, Turquoise , Irian etc. My question to you guys is is it realistic to keep these species in a 72 gallon tank (4’ long)? My current stocking is 4x Emperor Tetra, 4x Black Skirt, 12x Bronze Cory’s, 8x Neon Dwarf Rainbows. I do not really want to end up in a situation where I absolutely need a tank upgrade to keep my fish happy when they get to adult size.
Nitrate= 10-20 ppm
Nitrite= 0
Ammonia=0
pH= 7.5
GH= 10-12 degrees
Tank has quite a few plants (low tech) and is well established.
Any other rainbow species that you think would work out well for me?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 7B43B8BF-8281-4F3C-B163-CC5881CAF9F1.jpeg
    7B43B8BF-8281-4F3C-B163-CC5881CAF9F1.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 6

Flyfisha

I have seen large rainbow fish in shorter tanks , I don’t think it works to look at but the fish stay alive.?

We keep a couple of schools dwarf rainbow fish in 4 foot 55 gallon tanks.

If you ask my opinion I would add another 8 neon blue dwarf rainbows . I would not add another species. Not another species of dwarf rainbow, even if they swim together it’s not as pleasing to my eyes as a single species in a group of their own kind doing their own thing.

MacZ

Several friends of mine keep Melanotaenia lacustris in 100-130 cm tank lengths. Seems to work great, but they are the only open water fish in the tanks. If it wasn't for the fish you already have I'd say go for it.

So stick to the rainbows you have and keep it at that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blub
Replies
Views
Islandvic

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom