72 Gallon Bowfront Stock Question

1. LaniKai

LaniKai Valued Member Member

Just bought a used 72 gallon Bowfront from my LFS and now its time to stock it. When I was at the LFS my mom really liked the sparkling gourami so I changed my original stock list a bit. The list is very flexiable but I already have the peppered corys. The tank has a Fluval 406 canister filter.

8x Peppered corys
    8x Kuhli Loach
    6x Sparkling Gourami
    6x Peacock Gudgeon
    10x Rummynose Tetra
    10x Neon Tetra
    2x Apistogramma Borelli
    1x Twig Catfish or Small pleco

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand what the question is. Are you asking if the stocking is compatible? If you want kuhli loaches, I suggest using sand or fine pebbles as the substrate for them to show their natural behavior. Other than that, the rest of the stocking list looks fine to me

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have stocking issues, mostly with temperature incompatibility. The peppered cories should be in temps under 74 F, but that's too cool for the rummynose and twig cats, and there's not much overlap with the gudgeons or gourami, either.

I would worry the sparkling gourami will be outcompeted by the more robust and active fish.

4. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

Sorry I should have tried to be a bit more clear. It will have pool filter sand with rocks, driftwood, and plants.
    I thought peppered cories could be in 75 f? Everywhere I read said around 72-78. Same with the peacock gudgeons and sparkling gourami.
    I could have sworn rummynose and the twig catfish would be fine in 75 f but I must have been thinking about different fish.

Do you have any suggestions on another schooling fish that would work? Also do you have any suggestions on a algae eater?

Would there be any chance the gourami would be okay? I was really hoping to have them but if I also want to make sure they would be okay.

5. TexasDomer

75 F is a little too high for them. You don't want to keep fish at the extreme ends of their range either. Many sources give bad info, too. Planet Catfish is a good source for catfish, and Seriously Fish and Fishbase for non-catfish.
    https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=271
    Because their temp range goes down so low, you don't want to keep them at the upper end of their range permanently (since that wouldn't happen in nature), so 75+ F is too high. A cory expert and mod on this site, Coradee, has also suggested lower temps as being better for them.

For the gudgeons and sparkling gourami, SF lists their range down to 72 F, and since you don't want to keep them at the extreme ends, they really don't have much overlap with the peppered cories.

You don't need an algae eater (and twig cats aren't good for that anyway). You are the best at preventing and controlling algae :) If you must absolutely have something to eat algae, go with nerite snails.

Do you have the peppered cories already? Would you consider another cory species?

6. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

I have 1 pepper cory left over from a tank I had long ago so I was hoping to finish his school but if I have to get rid of him I will. Would something like Julii cories be okay?

I mostly use Seriously Fish but I forgot about Planet Catfish.

I've always liked the look of sucker fish so I would really like at least 1 kind of sucker fish in there.

Also I just wanted to say thank you for your help :).

7. TexasDomer

Happy to help :)

False julii cories (true juliis are rare) would be fine at 75 F, but I still wouldn't keep them higher than that, meaning that I would still leave out the twig and rummynose.

What about something like this?

8x False julii cories
    12x Kuhlis (make sure you're able to feed these guys - they can be outcompeted for food by the cories)
    8x Sparkling gourami
    6x Peacock gudgeon
    25x Neons
    1x BN pleco (you'll still need to feed him veggies and some meaty foods)

8. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

I knew you were going to suggest the BN pleco lol. Unfortunately my mother does not like the looks of the BN pleco so do you know of any others?

I really would like 2 different schools of fish so maybe 12x Neon Tetras and 12x Ruby Tetras?

9. TexasDomer

I have ruby tetras and while they are awesome, they're small and a little timid. I would go with a school of at least 20 in your tank.

Lots of other pleco options. Can you order online or are you limited to what's in stock at your LFS?

10. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

Could I do 20 ruby tetras and the 12 neon tetras? If not do you know of another small red schooling fish that I could have?

My LFS (Wet Spot Tropical Fish) has a really large selection of fish so I've never had the need to order online. I would prefer to buy them at my LFS just because shipping is way to expensive for me.

11. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I agree with your stocking, but I would nix the pleco. And I'm not familiar with the sparkling Gourami unless it's a variety of pearl Gouramis. If it's a dwarf gourami, stay away from them. All of the dwarf species that usually come from Singapore breeders have all been having various disease problems lately.

12. TexasDomer

Coming from Wetspot (so jealous you're so close - love that store! I've ordered from them a handful of times now), you'd be fine with most any gourami. They get a lot of wild caught species.

I think you're fine to keep the pleco. I'd google the plecos on their stocking list (Fish). Give us a list of which ones you like, and we'll help you pick an appropriate species for this tank size and stocking.

I think 20 rubies would be fine with the 12 neons. I have 20 rubies in my 55 gal (from the Wetspot!) and there's plenty of room in the tank. They're small.

13. finnipper59

The whole thing seems ok even if you get a proper species of pleco. But heed my warning about the neons. I live half my day each day and neons report more disease than any other fish. They have become so inbred that they practically have no disease resistance. Go with cardnials or something else. You can obviously do as you choose. I had a school of 15 about 25 years ago in a large Discus tank with no problems. But as of the past few years, I would not put them in my tanks.

14. TexasDomer

Getting neons from Wetspot means that you may very well be getting wild caught ones, and you may not have issues with them.

15. finnipper59

Ok. Tex may be right, but I would speak to someone that can guarantee the source of the neons first. I live in Delaware close to at least a dozen pet/fish and they get theirs tank raised from Florida and Singapore and both are severely inbred.

16. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

Only bad part about Wet Spot is every time I go in there I want more fish lol.

The sparkling gourami is listed as a different scientific name so I hope they don’t have the dwarf gourami disease!

I’ll look through the pleco list tonight and I’ll make a list of them and I’ll post it hopefully tonight or in the morning.

Only reason I was going to do neon tetras was their size. If I did cardinal tetras would they still fit the list?

Current list
    8x False Julii Corydora
    12x Kuhli Loach
    8x Sparkling Gourami
    6x Peacock Gudgeon
    20x Ruby Tetra
    10x Cardinal Tetra? Or 12x Neon Tetra
    1x pleco or sucker mouth fish

17. TexasDomer

It's not necessarily that they're inbred, it's that they're kept in poor conditions and often given hormones to improve color and induce spawning.

I think coming from Wetspot, you'd be fine with neons.

18. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

I’ll be going to wet spot soon and I’ll talk to them about their neons.

What fish would you recommend adding first? I’m going to be taking some media from a already cycled tank so it should be mostly cycled but I don’t want to add the delicate fish first.

19. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

So bad news.... I filled up my tank last night and I found out the center brace is broken. Good news is my LFS is willing to replace the tank for free! Bad news is I just put the sand in there last night so I have to take all the sand out...

This also means I will be going to my LFS tomorrow. It is a pretty far drive (about a hour) for me so would it be okay if I got the corydoras tomorrow? The filter has media from another tank in it so it should be mostly cycled and I can do extra water changes.

Another thing is I don't know if they have any Julii corydoras in stock because I don't see them listed on their website. They do have Skunk, Axelrod, and Panzerwel corydoras. Would any of those be okay? I'm going to try to get Julii but just in case I like to have a backup.

I will also look at the plecos in person to see if my mother likes any of them but I might have to skip on the pleco.

I just discovered Green Neon Tetras and I think they would look really good with the Ruby Tetras but I wanted to make sure it would be okay if I switched from the Neon Tetras. (I still might go with the Cardinal Tetra)

20. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

I was in a hurry today so I didn't get any fish but I did see something called a Parasicydium bandama or a African Algae Eating Goby. I couldn't find any info on them but they looked really interesting and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them.