70g Planted Community

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Scoutsfish, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish Well Known Member Member

Hey guys!!!

I just started my first "big" tank! It's a 70g planted tank with regular black gravel as substrate and simple plants such as wisteria, bacopa, hygrophilia, anarchis, hornwort, java moss, duckweed etc. nothing too fancy. There are also 4 pieces of smaller driftwood in it. For fish stocking.. I hope to do the following, let me know what you think:

These are the fish I have so far that will be going into it:

1 adult male angel(want to add 3-1m 2f)
    7 harlequin rasboras(add 1-3 more)
    4 albino cories(would add maybe 4 more, not sure on how many more)
    1 male apisto
    1male DG
    8 full grown neon tetras(will have to hope angels don't get them)
    3 platies( may add 2 females as I have 2m and 1f)
    3 otos(may add more, not sure)
    Handful of nerite snails

I'm hoping to add:
    3 mollies
    3 swordtails for variety and color
    8 (of one or two of these schools, can't decide which)cherry barbs, rummy nose tetras, black skirt tetras, zebra danios or something else? Suggestions welcome, can I do two of these schools or just one?
    1 3 spot gourami
    Maybe a pearl gourami
    1bn pleco
    3 siamese algae eaters
    1-2 bamboo shrimp, just to try out.
    1 maybe rainbow Shark or other more 'oddball' fish. suggestions welcome!! I would love some sort of loach, any ideas?

What do you think? image.jpg image.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I can't comment on the whole community compatibility (lack of personal experience with many of these species), but I would recommend at least 6 cories (they like to school, and do best in groups of 6+) and less than or more than 3 angels. 1 male and 1 female will likely pair up and beat up the third angel. With a breeding pair, you also run the risk of the angels beating up the other fish in the tank. You could do 1 or 5 angels (though with your tank as stocked as it is, 1 might be best).

Beautiful tank!

3. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I have one male angel already and I am adding 3 more to have 4. I know not do do odd numbers, no worries:) in my original post I meant that I would like to add 1 male and 2 females to my existing one male.

I will probably add 4 more cories. I had 9 a while back, 4 albino, 2 sterbai, 3 peppered. But I have away the peppered and the sterbai. If I had known I was upgrading my tank I wouldn't of but oh well.

4. TexasDomer

For the cories, you should have 6 of each species at least. Also, sterbai and peppered don't do well together. Peppered prefer colder water, while sterbai prefer warmer water. Albino prefer warmer water too, so you could up the number of albinos to 6, and add in 6+ sterbai later if you wanted.

For the angels, you may still have issues with 4, but you could always try it and rehome some if necessary.

The platies and swordtails may interbreed, and with males and females of both, you have the possibility of lots of fry.

5. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

The sterba that I used to have were some of the first fish I got after I cycled the tank. It was only a 15g at the time so I didn't want 6 of them. I added the peppered to that same tank I believe. Too long ago to remember. However when I got my 29g the substrate was/is black so I got the albino to stand out. Can't remember why I only got 4 at the time. I will be adding more, and may add some panda cories later. All the cories I had schooled together and did great.

If I do have issues with the angels I will rehome them. However the main reason I got this tank was to give my current angel Marty the room he needs and some friends. I'll be getting 3 babies and adding all 4 to the tank at once so there are no territory issues, and to give the 3 some friends their size so they're not so vulnerable.

I'm fine with the platies and swords breeding, with Angels and gouramis in the tank I am not expecting many if any fry to survive. If they do and I get too many I can rehome some of the fry.

6. TexasDomer

Pandas also like cooler water, and wouldn't do well in the high temps required for angels :(

You're of course welcome to get whatever angels you'd like but they really don't need friends :) They're quite happy being the only angel in the tank. Watch for aggression from your angel towards the smaller angels. You may end up having to get angels closer in size to yours.

I'm sure they'll love the larger tank! Pics once they're all in please :)

7. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

That's good to know about the pandas. I may just get two more albinos then.

Also, for the angels... The 3 more are partially for Marty but also partially for me as they're my favorite fish:) haha I am hoping Marty likes them. I won't be getting super small ones, but they will be younger as I have heard older angels accept the younger/babies more readily than adults or bigger angels. Time will tell! I may get some of the livebearers this week, but can't get the angels or gourami until after august 8th since I will be out of town for a few days before then and I want to keep a close eye on the angels and gouramis.

I still haven't decided which schooling fish I want. I have harlequin rasboras and neon tetras in right now, so I may try to find rummy nose tetras to swim on the top level.. If I can get two schools I may do either the cherry barbs or black skirt tetras. The black skirts have always been one of my favorites for some reason, but I saw some cherry barbs in the lfs a while back and they were soooo red and very pretty. I'm just worries that with the band, rasboras, rummy nose and platies/ swordtails it may be too much red in the tank...

I have more pictures on another thread I posted under members fish tanks:)

8. TexasDomer

Sounds like a good plan for the angels! You can always rehome if issues develop.

9. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I got 2 more albino cories and the 6 are very happy!!:) they are still in my 29g until the plants take root:) I also got 2 more female platies, 1 male swordtail and 2 female swordtails.

The store I like going to (the aquarium if anyone is in utah) is great! Very healthy fish, knowledgeable employees(several marine biologists etc) take time to explain the nitrate cycle new fish keepers and are good to suggest the correct fish for different tanks. They have tons of different species, everything I am looking for except for maybe rummy nose tetras.. I almost got some siamese algae eaters while there, but decided to wait a couple days. May go back before the end of the week, can't decide.. Also can't decide if I want an albino or regular brown/black bn pleco..

I will be going back after next week(going camping) to pick up some angels and gouramis, may also get the sae or bn if I haven't by then. Their bn are sooo cute! Barely an inch or two long! Any way to tell which are male/female when they're this young? I also almost got some mollies while there, but I didn't like the non sailfin ones, and the sailfins were like $7 each.. May wait for another shipment of theirs to come in.

Also, dojo loaches.. Was thinking of adding them to my plan, but I then heard they eat snails.. I'm fine if they eat pest snails, but I don't want them eating my merited or mysterys(if I add some)...

Also, with sae's, should I get one, two or three? I've heard that they like company and that they don't care about it.. I'll probably get a few anyway but just wanted opinions:)

10. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I've found a new game I like to play with the tank, called can you spot spike? Haha I went to the lfs looking for sae, and decided their "algae eaters" look a bit too much like cae's to be trusted. So I may order a few online later on, but I did cave and buy a little tiny 1 or so inch albino bn pleco:) he or she is a cutie and can sometimes be spotted in various places in the tank looking all cute:) I'm glad I got an albino as I like how he stands out more:) image.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice