700 Gallon Pond Stocking

Colt Frost
So, I have this giant 700 gallon livestock trough that I use as a "pond". Right now I have 23 common goldfish, and a ryukin. I was thinking of another stocking for it. I've always wanted a giant gourami, and I never realized that the answer was right in front of me! My pond! I need to bump up the filtration on it a little bit. This most likely will not happen this year, but I was thinking about stocking a Giant gourami and 1-2 Common plecos, but then I don't know what else I could stock. The pond's diameter is 92 inches, and the height is 24 inches.

Discus-Tang
If I had that pond I'd get 500 rummynose tetras.

Colt Frost
Maybe a turtle of some kind? The pond gets full sun about 3-4 hours of the day and the rest of the day is either shade or partial sun.

If I had that pond I'd get 500 rummynose tetras.
I was thinking of some kind of small fish lol. That would be cool to see a giant shoal swimming around everywhere.

Maybe guppies?

Discus-Tang
Maybe guppies?
Yeah, like 500 of 'em. Though a giant gourami would eat them.

penguin02
What is the temp of the pond during the day?

Discus-Tang
He can just put heaters in if it's too cold.

penguin02
He can just put heaters in if it's too cold.

Yeah, I'm just curious

Colt Frost
Well at the moment, it’s getting up to the 100’s outside, and it usually stays 20 degrees below the temp outside, but I haven’t checked the temp in a while.

penguin02
Well at the moment, it’s getting up to the 100’s outside, and it usually stays 20 degrees below the temp outside, but I haven’t checked the temp in a while.

Oh wow! Not ideal, but hardy fish should be able to handle it I second getting a school of smaller fish instead of the giant gourami.

Colt Frost
Right now In the side that was getting sun, it’s 80 degrees. Then under the shade I have up for the goldfish, it’s 76-78

And it's probably cooler deeper in the pond, I only tested the top.

Could I do like 1 Giant gourami, 1 Oscar, 5 Pictus catfish, and some sort of larger schooling fish? I really like the idea of a small schooling fish, but I really want bigger fun to feed fish lol. Will an oscar eat guppies or swordtails? I might drop the oscar to get something schooling in there. From everything I've read, the gourami wouldn't eat guppies?

snowballPLECO
You must live in AZ or vegas lol

Colt Frost
You must live in AZ or vegas lol
Southern utah lol, an hour and a half from vegas

Discus-Tang
Giant gourami are giant! They will eat guppies.

An Oscar will certainly eliminate any guppies.

Colt Frost
Giant gourami are giant! They will eat guppies.

An Oscar will certainly eliminate any guppies.
Dang lol, I really wanted guppies. Well I'm going to have guppies when I get my fountain up and running. What are some options that can go with the gourami, plecos, and pictus? I think those three are a go. If I do decide to set all this up lol

Discus-Tang
Dang lol, I really wanted guppies. Well I'm going to have guppies when I get my fountain up and running. What are some options that can go with the gourami, plecos, and pictus? I think those three are a go. If I do decide to set all this up lol
Don't know, maybe arrowana?

Colt Frost
I was just reading that if started from a young age, they can learn to live with smaller fish. Just like angelfish pretty much lol! If I do get it, I'll be buying at around 3-4 inches, so he can grow up with some other fish. But once they're older, they "own" the tank, and will kill any newcomers...

AquaticJ
Doesn't it still get down to the 20's at night during the winter? You'd probably need some serious heaters to keep the water warm enough for anything tropical. Here’s the one I have in a 400 gallon at my store.

Attachments

• 758379F6-DA29-4BC2-9EE1-0D17158710CF.png
    758379F6-DA29-4BC2-9EE1-0D17158710CF.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 116
Colt Frost
Doesn't it still get down to the 20's at night during the winter? You'd probably need some serious heaters to keep the water warm enough for anything tropical.
I'm hoping to have a new extension to my house built by the time this all happens. And I might move the pond into the new room. That will be my fish room lol. Right now all my tanks are in my room, besides one that's in the living room. The room will be heated in the winter, and cooled in the summer. I'm just hoping that there will be enough room to fit the pond in there lol. I'll get all the measurements worked out, and hopefully it will all work out lol.

AquaticJ
Oh I believe you'll make it work, lol. That would be pretty awesome!

Obi3ice
I would get a shark.

Colt Frost
I would get a shark.
I was actually thinking of getting 3-4 bala sharks, but then I realized they would nip the gourami.

Doesn't it still get down to the 20's at night during the winter? You'd probably need some serious heaters to keep the water warm enough for anything tropical. Here’s the one I have in a 400 gallon at my store.
I just barely saw the picture! It's beautiful, what the color called? I can find ones that look like that online but can never find what they're called. I can find Albino, and red tail. I really like the red tails, but I also like the gray ones like yours.

AquaticJ
I call it blue, but if you google “giant Blue Gourami” this type is the Wikipedia cover photo. Osphronemus goramy Come in all different colors, but its the same species.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
Ethan30
Replies
Views