7 peacocks, 3 Frontosa, and Shell Dwellers Quarantine?

Hemikyle

So this person is giving away 7 peacock cichlids some are a pretty decent size I would say about 5 inches almost fully grown. I am not sure if the frontosa are included in the 7. There is also the shell dwellers, they are all together and have been together for awhile and got moved into a 75G recently for 3 weeks now.

Now the question is I don't exactly have the room to quarantine all these fellas and I definitely want them because I might not run across such a awesome deal!

Whats your thoughts? I have a 75G tank no stand and 1 filter that could run in it along with a heater I would just have to get good seeded bio from somewhere maybe my LFS.

But as of putting them anywhere else I have no idea how I would quarantine them? Do you think putting them in the main tank would be my safest option?

A201

Disclaimer; always QT new fish!
That being said, I usually don't QT.
Be sure to visually inspect each fish looking for symptoms of disease. Make sure all fish are eating.
Colored up adult male Peacocks are very pricey. Frontosas are usually even more expensive.
I don't keep Shellies, so no advice regarding them.
Quarantining fish in a hastily set up tank can be very detrimental to them.
Sounds like a great opportunity. Be sure to post pics.

Hemikyle

A201 said:
Disclaimer; always QT new fish!
That being said, I usually don't QT.
Be sure to visually inspect each fish looking for symptoms of disease. Make sure all fish are eating.
Colored up adult male Peacocks are very pricey. Frontosas are usually even more expensive.
I don't keep Shellies, so no advice regarding them.
Quarantining fish in a hastily set up tank can be very detrimental to them.
Sounds like a great opportunity. Be sure to post pics.
So should I use my QT tank? i set up the 75G and I have a bunch of Bio I forgot in my other tanks along with the bio the person will be giving me to throw into the tank

A201

That's your call, but it's a good idea to QT when possible.

RomanNoodles96

As said above quarantine new fish. However, if this person knows what they are doing and the fish seem in good health, I wouldn't put the fish through the stress. I know cichlids are prone to internal parasites so maybe do a treatment prazipro or some other internal parasite med as a prevention.

jmaldo

As mentioned sounds like a "Good" deal. I always "Quarantine".
I have purchased from a 30+ year "Breeder" many times and I trust 99.999% but still they go into a QT.

:emoji_fingers_crossed:
Just my .02
Good Luck!

BigBeardDaHuZi

Hemikyle said:
So this person is giving away 7 peacock cichlids some are a pretty decent size I would say about 5 inches almost fully grown. I am not sure if the frontosa are included in the 7. There is also the shell dwellers, they are all together and have been together for awhile and got moved into a 75G recently for 3 weeks now.

Now the question is I don't exactly have the room to quarantine all these fellas and I definitely want them because I might not run across such a awesome deal!

Whats your thoughts? I have a 75G tank no stand and 1 filter that could run in it along with a heater I would just have to get good seeded bio from somewhere maybe my LFS.

But as of putting them anywhere else I have no idea how I would quarantine them? Do you think putting them in the main tank would be my safest option?
Front's and shellies in the same tank? I'm a little surprised they haven't been snacked on yet

Hemikyle

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Front's and shellies in the same tank? I'm a little surprised they haven't been snacked on yet
They weren't hahah I wasn't sure if they were or not. Could the shellies go with tetras and 2 bolivian rams?

BigBeardDaHuZi

They have very different water parameters. The rams need soft, acidic water and a lot of plant cover. The shellies need water so hard you could chew it and a high pH. Most plants can't thrive in water like that.
Also, they are pretty intolerent of almost anything but other shellies. And even then they fight.

What kind of shellies are they? They could probably be kept in a pretty small tank. I haven't kept them yet, but I am really wanting to try them.

Top Bottom