7 months later...

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
i currently started this hobby 7 months ago.
Just wanted to thank all the people out here for all the advice and also all other members posting interesting questions for me to read.

Learned a lot from it and for sure still can learn a lot.

Started with a 33g.
Added a 2.3g nano tank a few months later (backup plan since i wanted to try a Betta in my community tank)...did not work that well.
And that nano has been upgraded to a 5.5 at New Year (present to my Betta from me).

So just took a pic of my 33g:
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Thanks!

No no .... 2 really are the limit (for now). lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Your tank looks fabulous, love the cherry shrimp on the substrate, great colours
Thanks Coradee.

For some reason my cories are the most shy fish of the bunch!
If i go near the glass all 6 of them go hide under the wood.

The two GBR and the dwarf gourami love seeing me (they really know i give them food).



 

Cacret

Well Known Member
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
15
Points
83
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks awesome! How abput though add maybe 2 female bettas? They dont fisht but sometimes get chased around. Anyways both your tanks are AMAZING.
 

Coradee

Moderator
Messages
16,695
Reaction score
4,247
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
AndyVE said:
Thanks Coradee.

For some reason my cories are the most shy fish of the bunch!
If i go near the glass all 6 of them go hide under the wood.

The two GBR and the dwarf gourami love seeing me (they really know i give them food).
Some of mine will scoot away if I suddenly appear near the tank, but if I approach slowly they're fine
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Cacret said:
Looks awesome! How abput though add maybe 2 female bettas? They dont fisht but sometimes get chased around. Anyways both your tanks are AMAZING.
Thanks!

1 male Betta is enough...love him.

For now it is fine as it is in my main tank.
Maybe a few more cardinal tetra...

But do not want to put too much fish in there...
Already houses:
- 6 coridoras trilineatus
- 10 rasbora espei
- 10 cardinal tetra
- a pair of GBR
- 1 dwarf gourami
- 3 otocinlus (only seem to be able to find two though...but have loads of places to hide)
- a bunch of RCS

In the other tank i have the crowntail betta and added about 12 RCS since i have that many in the main tank.
He does not mind them (but the fry he will hunt down).
The Betta never had an issue with all other fish in the tank...only the tetra
(killed 15 of those within a period of 1week after being in the tank for two weeks...and never saw him chasing one).

So moved him to his own place and enlarged the remaining cardinal in my main tank (3-4 months ago).



 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Some of mine will scoot away if I suddenly appear near the tank, but if I approach slowly they're fine
Well my sofa is 1m away from it (tank is to the left of me all the time i sit in my sofa).
They do swim around when i have added food to the tank and go sit back in the sofa again.
But if i move only an inch towards the tank they are gone.

Strange thing is that in the beginning they where swimming very active (chasing each other) & very often,
Now they still swim along together and han out together all the time.
But almost never that playful (for sure not so intense)


 

CowBoYReX

Well Known Member
Messages
922
Reaction score
75
Points
83
Experience
More than 10 years
AndyVE said:
Thanks Coradee.

For some reason my cories are the most shy fish of the bunch!
If i go near the glass all 6 of them go hide under the wood.

The two GBR and the dwarf gourami love seeing me (they really know i give them food).
I have trilineatus (one of my fav) and several other species of corydoras in several different tanks around the house and only one of them, C. Saramaccensis ever run, but they are rarely ever out to begin with. The others run when startled of course. I always wonder if, for mine, there is something that makes them less comfortable than the others, like light too bright or something along those lines. They happen to be the biggest and second oldest of all my corys.
 

Maxi1

Valued Member
Messages
414
Reaction score
26
Points
103
Experience
5 to 10 years
Man I am so jealous! Beautiful tank, love the plants but it's the red cherry shrimp I really love. I cannot keep them and am going to start a new thread, all input appreciated.


 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Maxi1 said:
Man I am so jealous! Beautiful tank, love the plants but it's the red cherry shrimp I really love. I cannot keep them and am going to start a new thread, all input appreciated.

Thanks!
When I added shrimp the first time I bought 10...still pretty small ones.
Most of them either got eaten or could hide extremely well.

So added 15 more a month or so later.

Once they are a bit bigger and start to breed they expand very fast.

Last quick count I was very quickly at 60 (and did not even look for them).

My water parameters are nothing special: 6.5-7 PH, 5kH, 12gH, nitrate max. 10ppm and ammonia and nitrite are always 0.

My male GBR will hunt for small fry if he sees one...but leaves the semi adults and adulta alone (only if it is smaller then a few mm).

When I drop a pellet in the shrimp, cories and cardinak eat together from it.

Whith the GBR and dwarf gourami they are more carefull and back away a bit.

Hope you also will have them soon.
They are fun to watch and look at.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Maxi1 said:
Man I am so jealous! Beautiful tank, love the plants but it's the red cherry shrimp I really love. I cannot keep them and am going to start a new thread, all input appreciated.
This is my other smaller tank (5.6 gallon isch):
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1425136848.271670.jpg


 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
CowBoYReX said:
I have trilineatus (one of my fav) and several other species of corydoras in several different tanks around the house and only one of them, C. Saramaccensis ever run, but they are rarely ever out to begin with. The others run when startled of course. I always wonder if, for mine, there is something that makes them less comfortable than the others, like light too bright or something along those lines. They happen to be the biggest and second oldest of all my corys.
Just grabbed my camera and took a "few" pics...
 

Mims

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
5
Points
53
Experience
3 years
Wow, you have some great looking tanks!!!

I'm trying to get my plants to fill in like yours, but one of my eels keeps digging them up. I'm going to move him to another tank, once we move offices, and I can set up a bigger one. I only have a 5 gallon betta there now.

Hopefully someday mine will look as beautiful as yours!!

What lighting do you have on your big tank?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

AndyVE

Valued Member
Messages
444
Reaction score
1
Points
111
Experience
Just started
Mims said:
Wow, you have some great looking tanks!!!

I'm trying to get my plants to fill in like yours, but one of my eels keeps digging them up. I'm going to move him to another tank, once we move offices, and I can set up a bigger one. I only have a 5 gallon betta there now.

Hopefully someday mine will look as beautiful as yours!!

What lighting do you have on your big tank?
Thanks Mims,
Was lucky the big tank is standard with 2x 24W T5HO lamps.
Should not be much of a problem to achieve the same result.
am in no way an expert on plants or even fish keeping.

Also had hair grass in the beginning but removed it since it would not get bigger.
So experimented a bit what plants did well and i liked the most.

Also had some amazon sword plant before that did well.
But it became so dense and the leaves turned brown...i started to dislike it.
So removed it.

The (java) moss i originally just planted in there. Looked nice, but did not grew fast. So changed it into a carpet instead (saw a video online how to do that).
It looks bare for a month or so....but they turn out great. The one on the left is 1.5 months old i think and the one on the right around 5 months (already trimmed that one...was getting tall). My shrimps love hanging around in them.

Most of the plants in my nano are taken from the big one (when i had to trim it).

The plants in my main tank are:
- Clinopoduim brownei (rear left)
- ?? (Mint like plant do not remember (front left)
- Egeria najas (weed front left of the driftwood)
- Elodea (waterweed at behind the Egeria)
- Vallisneria Nana (large small leaves at the
back, right side of driftwood)
- Java moss (front left and right carpet)
- Flame moss (on the triangle shrimp house)
- Limnobium laevigatum (smooth frogbit)
(floating plant)

all of those i do not consider as dificult plants.
They also grow in my nano tank (but a bit less fast)

The frogbit is the fastest one : cut the roots almost weekly so they do not get too long and even throw away half of them every two weeks or they cover my entire tank surface.
 

CowBoYReX

Well Known Member
Messages
922
Reaction score
75
Points
83
Experience
More than 10 years
AndyVE said:
Just grabbed my camera and took a "few" pics...
Awesome tanks I wish mine looked half that good, sweet trilineatus too. I have one baby from my other ones. I'll post some of him and see what else I have.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom