7 Guppies Purchased, 3 Remaining Help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by happygolucky, Jul 28, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Hello, this is my first post to this site, and I had a question about my guppies. I bought 7 male guppies from PetSmart yesterday, with my 10g tank fully prepared two days beforehand. I brought them home, acclimated them (probably somewhat roughly or not too well because I'm an idiot), and plopped them in (I did remember to not put the "bag" water in my tank). I went to bed, woke up and 3 guppies were dead. I went out later, and one more died while I was gone. I am looking for possible solutions to make sure this doesn't happen next time, and I'm sure most responses will be "cycle your tank". However, I have never had any issues with cycling, and some fish (forgot exactly what they are) have survived for over a year in a tank that was set up while they were in the bag, at my house. I washed everything beforehand, including gravel, I have a thermometer and heater, set to 78-79 degrees, and I conditioned my tank. My main question is, will I have to continue netting dead fish bodies out of the water, or is death done rampaging through my tank? Also, besides getting my water tested and cycling, is there anything else I can do to make sure that my new fish (that I shall purchase in about a month, after allowing my tank to cycle) have a smooth transition from shop to tank?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Cute username! :)

Well, yes, a cycled tank is very important to keeping the fish alive. One of my best guesses is that since the tank doesn't sound like it was cycled, it might've killed them.

Do you know what your water parameters are and what they were tested with?

When you say "washed", you actually meant "rinsed really well without soap or any other chemicals", right?

Also, you increased the bioload way too quickly, imo. I'd only be doing about two guppies every week or every other week after the tank is cycled. And I think seven guppies in a 10g is pretty tight, so......

Anyways, hope we can help you. :)

3. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

When washing my stuff, I was indeed rinsing well. And I think after these 3 guppies can help cycle, I'll either buy 3 more (Is 6 still too tight?), or I'll pick something like tetras...Suggestions? Also, my 3 guppies seem to be huddled up near the heater, but the heater isn't on, so it can't be that they're cold. They have plenty of d├ęcor to hide in, I can't imagine why they would rather hide behind a glass bar.

4. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

You are finding out as I that pet smart guppies are not the heartiest of fish. I am getting about 2 months out of mine before they go belly up.

Get some Zebra Danio's and change your water every three days. Or put some chemicals in their to force your cycle.

Don't name your remaining guppies......

5. BornThisWayBettas

I'd say six is still a bit tight, but you might be able to pull it off. I don't know about this though.

You said the heater isn't on?

If you're going to do tetras, I'd go with ember tetras, especially since most commonly available tetras aren't suitable for a 10g.

What are your water parameters and what test kit are you using?

Also, to help with the cycle, I've heard to use Tetra Safe Start (TSS), although I've never used it myself.

6. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

So I assume those zebra danio's are hardy and could mix with my guppies, until they die of course? I'm planning to go to a store to test my water within a few days, I can pick up some zebra's either if my guppies have died, or if they are compatible together...

7. BornThisWayBettas

Zebras and guppies are compatible, but zebras won't work in your tank size because of their activity level. Also, they can be nippish if not kept in schools of six or more.

And hey, don't lose hope on your guppies just yet!

I'd get a liquid test kit like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it'll save you money and time in the long run. The stores might use strips, which are inaccurate, just to warn you.

8. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

It automatically turns off, don't worry I'm not freezing my fish to death, my tank thermometer says around 78 degrees. As for the test kit.....I'm going back to PetSmart/a local fish store soon, I didn't test it when I first went. I assumed it would be fine since I have had 3 glass bloodfins in the same water, just different tank, and they are still doing well after almost a year. I now know my mistake of assuming, because it could have possibly killed 4 little guppies.

9. BornThisWayBettas

Don't feel too bad, we all make mistakes. :)

Okay, well, I think the best thing for you to do in this scenario is get a liquid test kit, like I said, I highly recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Just whatever you do, avoid the strips at all costs haha!

Have you done a water change after the deaths? What water conditioner are you using?

10. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Ok I can buy the kit in a few days, or maybe order it online. Now that you say that I should, I will definitely change the water (how much?), most likely tomorrow. My water conditioner is Topfin water conditioner for freshwater and saltwater aquariums.

11. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm, I'd say at least 25% maybe, others can advise on this too, though. I don't know how good the Top Fin water conditioner is, but I also highly recommend Prime, one capful treats 50 gallons, I believe.

12. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Thanks for all the help, Little Monster ;) (Get it? it seems like you are a Lady Gaga fan).

13. BornThisWayBettas

How did you know? :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice