7 guppies and a 10 gallon tank

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have a python and use a regular siphon and buckets and have no trouble at all keeping my gravel and tank clean. I do not see what difference a python makes other than not having to lug buckets.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For my 55 gal, I have a siphon to clean up the junk sitting on the sand, and I refill the tank by lugging buckets. It's doable!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also don't have a python. I use a normal hand siphon and bucket and I have no issues with my gravel tanks.

Honestly gravel is very easy to clean, since you can actually dig the siphon head down into it without worrying about it sucking up your substrate. So if you wanted to, you could dig it in all the way to the bottom to clean all of the gravel. The type of pump action siphon you use has no bearing on the quality of cleaning (pythons use the exact same suction method as the smaller hand siphons).

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I do not see what difference a python makes other than not having to lug buckets.
That difference is the whole point, IMO Just hook it up and clean/fill. Although admittedly, the sink end tends to pop out, but I'm pretty sure that's because my kitchen faucet is an old piece of junk.

When I use the Python, I put the tube all the way down to the glass. It swirls the gravel around as it vacuums, but I've never had issues with it actually sucking up any gravel into the tube.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What I meant was the difference between a python vs a regular vac in the ability to get the gravel clean. They both work the same way as far a vacuuming the tank only with the python your water ends up in a sink instead of a bucket

Matt68046

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have a python and use a regular siphon and buckets and have no trouble at all keeping my gravel and tank clean. I do not see what difference a python makes other than not having to lug buckets.
A python has good suction power, those little self pump action hand pump siphons do not
They suck up gravel, and carbon.
IM not trying to start a whole new topic or argument, simply, my point, if your just gonna use gravel, at least give it an UG filter and either powerheads or air pump with good flow. You just cant get those little tanks clean when theres a bunch of gravel and you do'nt have a python. At least i never could.

Last edited:

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A UG filter would actually make the tank harder to clean, not easier. It traps debris down beneath the gravel as the suction goes down, not up, requiring more stringent vacuuming. So what you say really makes no sense...

With one exception, all of my tanks are under 20 gallons. I have a python, but I gave it to my boyfriend for his 55 because there is no physical way to even use it in a tank under 30 gallons. The tube and head are much too big.

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe jdhef or another mod could split this over to another thread, because on one hand, we're getting off topic from the OP's thread, but on another, I feel this is a worthy FL discussion topic.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom