7 Gallon Stocking Planted

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maggie thecat said:
Rule of thumb stocking is 2.5 gallons per fish. 3 in a 7 gallon tank might be pushing a little, but if it's heavily planted and decently filtered, then not by much.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-keep-dwarf-puffers
Lots of people say 5g for the first puffer then 2.5g for each following puffer. You wouldn't keep two puffers in a 5g tank and that rule might work for larger tanks but puffers will get much more agressive and territorial in smaller tanks

I wouldn't keep two puffers in this

Attachments

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mary765 said:
Lots of people say 5g for the first puffer then 2.5g for each following puffer. You wouldn't keep two puffers in a 5g tank and that rule might work for larger tanks but puffers will get much more agressive and territorial in smaller tanks

I wouldn't keep two puffers in this
And that is your personal choice.

OP ask for potential stocking options. Presumably if they saw something they were interested in the handful of suggestions tossed out, they would then DO THEIR OWN DUE DILIGENCE and then make an informed decision.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maggie thecat said:

OP ask for potential stocking options. Presumably if they saw something they were interested in the handful of suggestions tossed out, they would then DO THEIR OWN DUE DILIGENCE and then make an informed decision.
Alright dude no need to be sassy about it. I'm getting a pea puffer in the next month and so have done hours of research to ensure I get everything right for them. I thought OP might appreciate my take on the matter but no somebody has to take their pride over the welfare of fish. Suit yourself man. Suit yourself.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mary765 said:
Alright dude no need to be sassy about it. I'm getting a pea puffer in the next month and so have done hours of research to ensure I get everything right for them. I thought OP might appreciate my take on the matter but no somebody has to take their pride over the welfare of fish. Suit yourself man. Suit yourself.
The 1990's called. They want their attitude back.

Sorry, OP, for the thread derailment .

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyways

My personal favourites are pea puffers but a betta or adfs will also look AWESOME in a well planted tank

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
maggie thecat said:

It’s not exactly a good idea to put three territorial fish in a small environment. That would lead to a disaster. I’d go for only one. Even two of them would be pushing it. General rule for pea puffers is five gallons per fish.

OP: If you get the crayfish, I’d avoid purchasing anything else. Even buying snails is a bad idea unless they breed quickly. Every crayfish has a different personality, but many attempt to lunge at anything that moves. If you get any shrimp, I would get some java moss for the protection of young.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adriifu said:
It’s not exactly a good idea to put three territorial fish in a small environment. That would lead to a disaster. I’d go for only one. Even two of them would be pushing it. General rule for pea puffers is five gallons per fish.
Thank you

Aquaticlife007

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys . How much chili rasboras can I add to this tank ? as per 5 gallon stocking thread it’s 6 of them in 5 gallon tank. I am thinking of dwarf Mexican crayfish ,are they aggressive like their bigger compatriots .Noted for cherry shrimps java moss will be needed . Will check about pea puffer too (will study beforehand about them ).

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's a crayfish subforum. Crayfish - Crawfish

I've only had larger ones, and they were entertaining in a destructive way. Constantly rearranging the tank to their specifications.

I'd think the smaller ones would be proportionally less destructive , but see what actual keepers think.

The footprint of your tank comes into play when upping numbers. But depending on what else you end up stocking you may be able to add a few more rasbora. In general , tiny schooling / shoaling fish find safety in numbers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom