7 Gallon No Filtration, Co2 Or Fert. Planted Betta Tank

1. Joey Bekius

Joey Bekius Valued Member Member

Hello everyone i thought i would share about my next aquarium build! (Bio: i am 14 years old and have grown up caring for fish, although i have only more recently started learning the more complicated stuff.) I actually haven’t gotten the tank yet, i bought it a day or two ago and it should come in in a week or so while i’m at summer camp. My plans for the tank are for live stock 1 plakat betta, blue bolt, carbon black and taiwan bee shrimp, 2 rabbit snails and 1 nerite snails. For plants i still have to make a list of those, but i know i want to do salvania, duckweed, anubias, Christmas or java moss, and hairgrass. The tank is a 7 gallon 1 foot cube tank made of low iron glass, and the style will be a walstad dirted tank, which basically means the plants act as a filter. Heres a video i saw about it:

So yeah. Basically the other tanks i have are a 25 gal. Reef tank, which has yet to become a showstopper, and a 20 gallon goldfish tank that i need to shut down or upgrade, cause the fish are MASSIVE. So thats that. If you’re interested i’ll be doing updates here

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Very cool idea!
    Though I'd like to suggest something different on the shrimp... Some bettas eat shrimp, some don't but in my experience most will at least try to, so just be cautious.
    My main concern for you is the Taiwan bee shrimp you want to get, I assume you mean king kong, and the blue bolts. Those guys are crazy sensitive, and unless you have perfect parameters, you won't be able to keep them. They also don't live in the same parameters as carbon rilis, and the low pH, kH, gH, and TDS required for them would damage the snails long term.
    Some variation of cherry shrimp (ie, carbon rili, blue jelly, blue dream, black rose, orange sakura) will be your best bet, IMO.
    But this looks like a really fun set up, I'll definitely be following along!

3. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Thanks, good to know

4. Rtessy

Yeah, for the Caridina you'd have to go basically all RO with remineralizer water, and that gets really expensive and really tricky real fast. And those guys are crazy sensitive.
    Cherry shrimp are so much easier though, I highly recommend them.

5. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

So the rillis are cherry shrimp? And what about crystal shrimp?

6. Rtessy

Yes, rilis such as red rilis, carbon rilis, and blue rilis ( I think those are about it) are cherry shrimp variations, and while they are more sensitive than regular cherries, they are hundreds of times hardier than Caridina. Also, when people say cherry shrimp are hardy, it means they are hardy in terms of shrimp, they're not going to be as hardy as a betta. Any chance you know your water's TDS? You may be able to find this in a water report.
    You've got lots of color options with those guys
    Edit: sorry missed the second part of your question. Crystal shrimp are Caridina, and are hardy for Caridina, but they still should be on RO and remineralizer water, and I strongly recommend starting with another type of shrimp first. Ghost shrimp are also hardy, though you have to be sure they aren't whisker shrimp, and they don't seem to live that long.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

What does tds mean?

And what about crystals? I do know that shrimp arent very hardy as i used to have a sw cleaner shrimp, but he died in a temp flux incident

8. Rtessy

TDS is total dissolved solids, which is important to shrimp as they need the minerals to molt properly. Without enough minerals, they won't be able to make a new shell and die. With too much minerals, they won't be able to get their shell off and will die.
    Crystals are still Caridina, and while they are a good point to start to get into Caridina shrimp, I still don't recommend them for beginners. I say start with the Neocaridina (cherry shrimp) for a while and see how that goes.
    For the crystal and really any Caridina, the best success is had keeping them in RO and remineralizer water because they are extremely sensitive. Their kH and gH values don't have much, or any really, of a range, while cherry shrimp have quite the range. The kH is the carbonate hardness, which also determines the buffering capacity of the water, and the gH is the general hardness, which often includes magnesium, which helps shrimp utility calcium to make their shells. Basically, with cherry shrimp, the gH should be at least 6, and that's it. For crystals, the gH should be 5-6, and the kH 0-2, and the TDS 120-180. For the Taiwan bee shrimp, it gets even more complicated.
    Sorry to get into all of this, I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear.

9. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

I actually think its kinda interesting. Whats remineralizer? Is that like a mix in tds thing?

10. Rtessy

Right on. I use Salty Shrimp gH+ and I like it, it's rather expensive bit seems to last a long time. There's a Salty Shrimp gH/kH+ which is more for cherry shrimp, but probably not necessary for most people. I have to use some remineralizer for my cherries because my tap is waaay too soft for them. It comes out with no kH, 3 gH and 30-40 TDS, and I remineralize it to 6-7 gH, and 134-136 TDS. I kept some CBS michlings (bred with Taiwan bees, so had a chance of producing them as offspring) but some Cholla wood I put in killed them all in an hour. So, that sucked. So now, I just say, if you don't have to add anything to an aquarium, just don't add it. Also, this won't be an issue because of your Walstad, but shrimp don't tolerate large water changes, and do better with only 10% per week. They also can't stand any ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates should be below 20.

11. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Also has anyone had success with java fern in a tank like this?

12. Rtessy

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as it's kept relatively shaded. They don't like too much light.

13. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Cool project. I plan on doing a walstad bowl some day, I bought the book, but haven't read it all yet. Keep us updated on your progress.

14. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

I will

15. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Could I get a Thai micro spider crab?

16. Rtessy

Those guys are really cool, but depending on the personality of the betta, they may be an expensive snack. They're perfectly safe with everything else you want to do. Maybe see how the betta does with the shrimp first, then add them in if it does well with them. You may also want to consider a female betta, as most (not all) seem to be less aggressive. Course, there are male betta's that are nicer than some females, it just depends. You may want to try out the mirror test before getting the betta (if you don't already have him/her)
    Sorry for the rambling again, lol

17. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

I'd probably get the fish online actually,
    And I'll probably get a male cause I think they're prettier, so hopefully that'll work out

18. Rtessy

I was looking after a male that got along just fine with shrimp, but another one that would literally attack me when I did tank maintenece, so it really is a personality thing

19. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

That's my clownfish... Every time I stick my hand in the tank I have to chase it away or else she'll bite me, I'm glad fish know you for your face and not your hand

20. AJ6817

AJ6817 New Member Member

Semi-off topic to this thread but that picture you posted shows a lot of different kinds of shrimp, is it possible to start with for example cherry shrimp and then breed to get orange or even green ones?