7 Gallon Betta Aquaponics Tank

Discus-Tang

HI fishlorians,
I can now confirm that I will be setting up a second plant culture in my handy 7 gallon! Is a betta a good fish for aqua ponics?

Edit: Will shrimp help too?

CosmicDodo42

A betta is not a good choice. They are carnivorous, and will need fish food. They can’t survive on plant root alone. I don’t think a lot of little guys would really work for this. Sorry... ):

david1978

Bettas and shrimp don't have a real big bio load but then again not much that's appropriate for that size tank does. Usually its done on a larger tank with fish like goldfish.

psalm18.2

If your just letting plants root in water it'll work if you use plant food. A betta will be fine in a 7 gallon.

-Mak-

Not really that effective because bettas don't have a high bioload in a 7 gallon.

david1978

I think 2-3 male platy would work better as far as waiste producers.

Rainbows and Fishes

They’re hardy but don’t produce very much waste

Discus-Tang

NO, I know bettas are carnvores, I would never feed them plant only. I was just asking would it produce enough waste to help the plants.

david1978 said:
In 7 gallons? Nah

david1978 said:
Bettas and shrimp don't have a real big bio load but then again not much that's appropriate for that size tank does. Usually its done on a larger tank with fish like goldfish.
My problem with goldfish is they eat them so much. I have a goldfish tank but they ate all the leaves off the alluminium.

What about sparkling gourami?

SixThreeOh

I grew basil in one of my betta tanks. Worked pretty well.

Discus-Tang

BASIL??! I'll try that, do they eat it?

SixThreeOh

Discus-Tang

CosmicDodo42

david1978 said:
Actually, you’re probaly better off getting females(just be sure there not pregnant already)

Top Bottom