7 G Tank

1. Parvath Initiate Member

I am a newbie :) and just started with a 7 gallon fish tank and have a Dalmatian Molly, couple of Zebra Danio and a Red Fire Guppy.

Attached Files:

2. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

very nice ;D

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Your tank is so adorable :) lol

If I may offer advice?

Your tank could use a little more danios and mollies. They like schools better. But watch out as to not overstock :)

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Actually I change that: Danios definately love to school, but I think Mollies are good in a 2 or 3 to 1 female to male ratio :) Sorry mixed my advice,lol

5. rob2uk Member Member

The only problem with a mixed sex mollie situation is what to do with the fry when they breed...

And they WILL breed...

6. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Very true -- I shouldn't really have said anything about themollies, because I know that that is the typical ratio but I am not really sure of the happiness if kept solo.

However, what I say about the danios still stands..

7. rob2uk Member Member

I have 3 female mollies in my 30 gallon. they're the only livebearers in there, and they're happy enough

8. RoboDude Member Member

That's a nice tank! ;D I LIKE IT!

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

cool tank!

10. beckers4oranges Member Member

also keep in mind that mollies like a little salt in there water...hence they are brackish fish

11. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yes they like salt you can aslo make them saltwater fish if you add a little bit of salt every so often until its at a saltwater level and if you dont have a lot of hiding places and a small tank like you do you shoudnt have to worry about fry as the parents will eat them right i know tahts true with guppies isnt it true with all livebearers or am i mistaken

12. beckers4oranges Member Member

yes mollies will eat their young too

13. RoboDude Member Member

Livebearers DON'T need brackish water. You CAN use it, but you don't actually need it!

14. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

no livebearers dont need brackish conditions but MOLLIES do just because you buy them in fw doesnt mean they arent bred in brackish water because they are bred in brackish water

15. rob2uk Member Member

Mollies WILL breed in freshwater...

My neighbour has thousands of them, all bred from the same pair, and he has NEVER used salt

16. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

What a pretty tank! ;)

17. Jon Well Known Member Member

very nice... mollies like slightly brackish water but it isnt necessary... if you have them in a communitiy tank like that it isnt reasonable to make the water brackish... FW will suffice for mollies...

thats interesting i never knew mollies could BECOME saltwater hmm.... has anyone else heard of this?

18. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I've heard of people using Mollies to cycle their saltwater tank...I wish people wouldn't do that though, it's so much better to cycle fishless. So yes I've heard of Mollies being saltwater.