7 G Tank

Parvath

Reaction score
I am a newbie and just started with a 7 gallon fish tank and have a Dalmatian Molly, couple of Zebra Danio and a Red Fire Guppy.

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
very nice ;D

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your tank is so adorable lol

If I may offer advice?

Your tank could use a little more danios and mollies. They like schools better. But watch out as to not overstock

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually I change that: Danios definately love to school, but I think Mollies are good in a 2 or 3 to 1 female to male ratio Sorry mixed my advice,lol

rob2uk

Valued Member
Reaction score
The only problem with a mixed sex mollie situation is what to do with the fry when they breed...

And they WILL breed...

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very true -- I shouldn't really have said anything about themollies, because I know that that is the typical ratio but I am not really sure of the happiness if kept solo.

However, what I say about the danios still stands..

rob2uk

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 3 female mollies in my 30 gallon. they're the only livebearers in there, and they're happy enough

RoboDude

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's a nice tank! ;D I LIKE IT!

newbie101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cool tank!

beckers4oranges

Valued Member
Reaction score
also keep in mind that mollies like a little salt in there water...hence they are brackish fish

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes they like salt you can aslo make them saltwater fish if you add a little bit of salt every so often until its at a saltwater level and if you dont have a lot of hiding places and a small tank like you do you shoudnt have to worry about fry as the parents will eat them right i know tahts true with guppies isnt it true with all livebearers or am i mistaken

beckers4oranges

Valued Member
Reaction score
yes mollies will eat their young too

RoboDude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Livebearers DON'T need brackish water. You CAN use it, but you don't actually need it!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no livebearers dont need brackish conditions but MOLLIES do just because you buy them in Freshwater doesnt mean they arent bred in brackish water because they are bred in brackish water

rob2uk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mollies WILL breed in freshwater...

My neighbour has thousands of them, all bred from the same pair, and he has NEVER used salt

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What a pretty tank!

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
very nice... mollies like slightly brackish water but it isnt necessary... if you have them in a communitiy tank like that it isnt reasonable to make the water brackish... Freshwater will suffice for mollies...

thats interesting i never knew mollies could BECOME saltwater hmm.... has anyone else heard of this?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've heard of people using Mollies to cycle their saltwater tank...I wish people wouldn't do that though, it's so much better to cycle fishless. So yes I've heard of Mollies being saltwater.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom