7 days and Ich free... now a few questions on restarting everything.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
I've now been Ich free for 7 days, in 2 more days, I'm planning on starting on my restocking. This is my plan:
I'm giving it 2 more days @86F, and then I'm going to do a HUGE water change...75%
I'm going to replace my filter sponge, and my bio media.
I'm going to SLOWLY lower my tank temps back to 78F
I'm then going to check water parameters and start on the restocking.

Is this the correct way to get everything going again? I'm totally lost now on what direction to take with my stocking. I'm leaning towards tiger barbs, but I know I'll have to move my Platy and possibly my remaining Rainbows. Any suggestions for some colorful/active fish?
 

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,749
Reaction score
93
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd be leery about tossing out all the filter media, you may have to start your cycle over again. There has to be a better way to go about it, I would do some intensive studying before taking such drastic measure.
 

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
81
Points
283
Experience
1 year
Joe, I don't know the answer to your question. I just want to say congratulations and good luck. I know you've been struggling with this for a long time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
jetajockey said:
I'd be leery about tossing out all the filter media, you may have to start your cycle over again. There has to be a better way to go about it, I would do some intensive studying before taking such drastic measure.
Yeah, I'm figuring my cycle is probably pretty screwed up anyway. I plan on getting another dose of Tetra Safe Start and adding that with my new stock of fish, so I wasn't really worried about tossing the filter and bio media at the same time. Otherwise, I'd be REALLY leary of adding any fish to the tank with the "contaminated" sponge and bio media.

Meenu said:
Joe, I don't know the answer to your question. I just want to say congratulations and good luck. I know you've been struggling with this for a long time.
Thank you...this has been a royal pain, but it's also been a learning experience. I now see the need of having a quarantine tank! My initial stocking is so screwed up no, that it's not even funny. I don't want to get any more fish from the LFS where I purchased all of the others, as I'm sure the contamination came from their tanks...or am I totally off base here? There is no other LFS that has the selection of the store I had been going to, so I'm going to be very limited on my restocking options...unless I want to pay a premium to buy online and get hit with HUGE shipping fees. I'm just totally lost on what to stock with now. I really like the tiger barbs, but I also want a pleco. I'm also not sure on how the 2 remaining Rainbows would fair, or if I should donate them back to the LFS...totally lost here !
 

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
1hawaii50 said:
I've now been Ich free for 7 days, in 2 more days, I'm planning on starting on my restocking. This is my plan:
I'm giving it 2 more days @86F, and then I'm going to do a HUGE water change...75%
I'm going to replace my filter sponge, and my bio media.
I'm going to SLOWLY lower my tank temps back to 78F
I'm then going to check water parameters and start on the restocking.

Is this the correct way to get everything going again? I'm totally lost now on what direction to take with my stocking. I'm leaning towards tiger barbs, but I know I'll have to move my Platy and possibly my remaining Rainbows. Any suggestions for some colorful/active fish?
ive not had a chance to be around much the last week or so, but heres what I can advise from this thread
im assuming you still have fish in the tank? if yes, dont throw out the media....do a test on your water parimeters first, and post them so we can see how the cycle is at this point...ich wont kill the cycle nor will higher temps...again, im not sure exactly where you are coming from, but if you are still cycled, and you have gone the 2 weeks of higher temps, i see no need to throw/start over...
 

Shine

Well Known Member
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
22
Points
133
Experience
3 years
Shawnie said:
but if you are still cycled, and you have gone the 2 weeks of higher temps, i see no need to throw/start over...
I think he is worried he might have killed the cycle with the meds he used.

Either way, I wouldn't replace the filter media just yet. As Shawnie said, testing the water parameters is the place to start... maybe the cycle isn't as messed up as you might think. Hopefully anyway

Personally I wouldn't lower the temp for at least another week. The ich may be off the fish but that doesn't mean that there aren't still cysts in the gravel or floating around the tank, waiting for their chance. If so, another week+ of heat will deal with them

And as far as restocking goes.... good luck. I just hope that you have a quarantine tank, 'cause the last thing you'd want at this point is to re-introduce ich with sick fish from the lfs! :-\
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
Shawnie said:
ive not had a chance to be around much the last week or so, but heres what I can advise from this thread
im assuming you still have fish in the tank? if yes, dont throw out the media....do a test on your water parimeters first, and post them so we can see how the cycle is at this point...ich wont kill the cycle nor will higher temps...again, im not sure exactly where you are coming from, but if you are still cycled, and you have gone the 2 weeks of higher temps, i see no need to throw/start over...
I've been 2 weeks @86F...of that 2 weeks, I've only been "visually" ich free for 1 week. 7 days ago is when I could not see any more "crystals" on the fish. I DO still have a few fish left. I have 2 Panda Corys, 2 Rabauti Corys, 2 Preacox Rainbows, and 1 Rainbow Platy. I haven't done any water tests yet, as I was more concerned with dealing with ich. I'm not concerned with the ich, or meds or temps killing my cycle...I'm worried about introducing new fish to the tank while using a "contaminated" filter sponge/media. I figured I was better off replacing the filter/media due to contamination.

Shine said:
I think he is worried he might have killed the cycle with the meds he used.

Either way, I wouldn't replace the filter media just yet. As Shawnie said, testing the water parameters is the place to start... maybe the cycle isn't as messed up as you might think. Hopefully anyway

Personally I wouldn't lower the temp for at least another week. The ich may be off the fish but that doesn't mean that there aren't still cysts in the gravel or floating around the tank, waiting for their chance. If so, another week+ of heat will deal with them

And as far as restocking goes.... good luck. I just hope that you have a quarantine tank, 'cause the last thing you'd want at this point is to re-introduce ich with sick fish from the lfs! :-\
So you both suggest 2 weeks of high temps AFTER last seeing the ich on the fish? As far as restocking...that's where I'm in a quandary. If I use TSS to help the cycle, then I need to add the fish immediately...how am I supposed to quarantine? As far as the cycle currently, I don't think it's out of whack, but again...I don't want to introduce new fish if the sponge/bio media are considered "contaminated" from the ich.

The fish store where I bought all of my fish has a reputation for selling fish with "issues". The reason I was dealing with them, as they are a dedicated aquarium store, and have the largest selection of fish. I thought I could get around any issues with their stocks by waiting at least 2 weeks after they got a shipment in before I bought any of that particular fish...so much for that theory. I found a local PetSmart that (believe it or not) has clean tanks, and a manager that actually seems to know what she is doing, and cares about the fish. The problem with PetSmart is that they cater their fish selection to beginners, and they are NOT able to special order anything.
 

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
23,009
Reaction score
180
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
2 weeks of higher temps, 2 gravel vacs a week, with or without seeing ich spores is recommended for ich.....ich can harm fish, as we all know...but ammonia/nitrites can kill much faster IMO...so I would test asap to see where things are...worry about the cycle, after you know where your tank stands....can you get a test now? and what test kit are you using?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
Shawnie said:
2 weeks of higher temps, 2 gravel vacs a week, with or without seeing ich spores is recommended for ich.....ich can harm fish, as we all know...but ammonia/nitrites can kill much faster IMO...so I would test asap to see where things are...worry about the cycle, after you know where your tank stands....can you get a test now? and what test kit are you using?
Shawnie,

I have the API master test kit. All was good parameter-wise before the "ich-attack". I'll test tonight, as soon as I get the kids in bed. My remaining fish are all acting fine (other than the ich), so I wasn't worried about checking the parameters. As far as the 2 weeks is concerned. I found the ich 17 days ago, and today is day 14 for the 86F temps. It's been 7 days now since I last saw the ich on my fish. I've been doing gravel vacs and water changes every other day since I found the ich. I'll test here shortly and post the results.
 

Shine

Well Known Member
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
22
Points
133
Experience
3 years
I have to say that if I was you and had gone through what you have described over the past couple weeks with your fish that I would be bloody paranoid about the possibility of the new fish being infected as well.

...sad when there is a petsmart that has healthier looking tanks then a local shop
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
Shine said:
I have to say that if I was you and had gone through what you have described over the past couple weeks with your fish that I would be bloody paranoid about the possibility of the new fish being infected as well.

...sad when there is a petsmart that has healthier looking tanks then a local shop
That is EXACTLY my concern...that I'll infect any new fish. As far as how the tanks LOOK where I bought my fish...they weren't any better/worse than anywhere else. I've just heard of a lot of people that have NOT had any luck getting fish from them. That is why I waited at least 2 weeks before buying any new arrivals that they had. I'm paranoid about going back there now, though.

I tested my water parameters...they are the same as they've been since I got cycled:
Ammonia- 0
PH- 7.8 - 8.0
Nitrate- 5-10
Nitrite- 0

I did do a 15 gallon water change/gravel vac this afternoon (if it makes a difference).
 

BritJo

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
1 year
1hawaii50 said:
That is EXACTLY my concern...that I'll infect any new fish. As far as how the tanks LOOK where I bought my fish...they weren't any better/worse than anywhere else. I've just heard of a lot of people that have NOT had any luck getting fish from them. That is why I waited at least 2 weeks before buying any new arrivals that they had. I'm paranoid about going back there now, though.

I tested my water parameters...they are the same as they've been since I got cycled:
Ammonia- 0
PH- 7.8 - 8.0
Nitrate- 5-10
Nitrite- 0

I did do a 15 gallon water change/gravel vac this afternoon (if it makes a difference).

You definitely have more experience than I do...but I'm going through the same thing, except I medicated on top of raising the heat and doing daily water changes. I'm interested in what people think of changing bio media then adding safe start. That's my plan as well, since because of the meds my good bacteria is gone anyhow...I figure might as well start fresh. Congrats on being ich free!
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,219
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you only have the two catfish left, that sould work fine. Just get that ammonia as close to zero as possible before adding the SafeStart.

Good luck
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
BritJo said:
You definitely have more experience than I do...but I'm going through the same thing, except I medicated on top of raising the heat and doing daily water changes. I'm interested in what people think of changing bio media then adding safe start. That's my plan as well, since because of the meds my good bacteria is gone anyhow...I figure might as well start fresh. Congrats on being ich free!
I medicated also, along with raising the temp.

jdhef said:
Since you only have the two catfish left, that sould work fine. Just get that ammonia as close to zero as possible before adding the SafeStart.

Good luck
I tested 2 days ago, and results are:

Ammonia - 0
PH -7.8-8.0
Nitrates- 5-10
Nitrites- 0

Also, I have 4 catfish left...2 Pandas, and 2 Rabauti Corys. It looks like the meds didn't mess with my cycle. I'm sure I lost a portion of bacteria due to the 70 % loss of fish though.
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,219
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry 1hawaii50, I was actually repling to BritJo's post just above mine. Sorry for the hijack!
 

BritJo

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
1 year
jdhef said:
Sorry 1hawaii50, I was actually repling to BritJo's post just above mine. Sorry for the hijack!
I need to update my info, I have 3 catfish now and a platy. The platy is what brought the ich in dangit lol. Anyhow, I added the safe start yesterday...

but OP I agree that your cycle seems fine, you could always add safe start to be safe, but it's expensive (for me at least!).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
BritJo said:
but OP I agree that your cycle seems fine, you could always add safe start to be safe, but it's expensive (for me at least!).
I have a 38 gallon tank, and the only TSS treatment big enough for my tank is the 75 gallon one...at $20...not exactly cheap, but money well spent "if it works"!
 

BritJo

Valued Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
1 year
Well I only have a 10gal, but TSS worked great. 10 days and the tank was cycled last time, hoping for good results this time as well! Just do a big water change and run carbon in the filter for 24 hrs before adding (to get rid of meds if you haven't already), and don't use Prime as a water conditioner. It kills TSS, I use Aquasafe instead (Tetra of course recommends this as it is their product lol). They also say to wait 2 weeks to do a water change. Which after doing daily water changes for 2 weeks that's quite nice in my opinion. I hope you get good results if you decide to go w/ it!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
2 years
BritJo said:
Well I only have a 10gal, but TSS worked great. 10 days and the tank was cycled last time, hoping for good results this time as well! Just do a big water change and run carbon in the filter for 24 hrs before adding (to get rid of meds if you haven't already), and don't use Prime as a water conditioner. It kills TSS, I use Aquasafe instead (Tetra of course recommends this as it is their product lol). They also say to wait 2 weeks to do a water change. Which after doing daily water changes for 2 weeks that's quite nice in my opinion. I hope you get good results if you decide to go w/ it!
Right after I started my tank, I added fish too quickly and got a mini-cycle. After 2 weeks of daily water changes, I added the TSS. I had to wait 14 days before the cycle was complete. I was getting very nervous on days 11-14, but on the morning of the 15th day...CYCLED! Soooooo...I was thinking of adding another large bottle of TSS and restocking my tank, but if I do that, then I really can't quarantine, because you need to add your fish immediately. I've got just about everything I need for my quarantine setup, I'm just waiting on my heater to get here.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom