65gal Tall African Tank

Piscesorkillerwhale

Valued Member
Reaction score
I originally wanted to do mbuna but my lfs told me to do peacocks and haps instead. The more I read into it the 3ft length is not enough for haps and pushing it for peacocks. Tank is empty so I am still doing my research. Has anyone had luck with peacocks and haps in a 65?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry no experience with cichlids yet but a 65 tall is only 3 feet wide? interesting. Is that the tanks they sell at petsmart? sorry scratch that question i just googled it and its 18 wide sorry for sidetracking your thread

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
65-gallon36" x 18" x 24". But if their going for a cichlid tank then they will most likely have more hardscape than plants (if any at all)

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just set up a 55g mbuna tank, though a couple of peacocks will end up in it.

I considered mainly peacocks, but they will get to large to have over a dozen of them in a 55g.

For your 65g being 36" wide, i would disagree with the LFS. Yes it has 18" of depth and it is tall being 24" of height, but from my past research I concur with your assessment of it not being optimal for haps and peacocks.

Haps and peacocks will easily reach 5" - 8" fully grown, averaging in that 6"-7" range. They really need a 48" wide 75g tank minimum.

In my opinion and if it were my 65g tall, I would personally lean toward an all male Mbuna tank.

With some carefully stacked flagstone and limestone, you can make some great looking caves for the Mbuna, especially with the 18" depth you have. Good floor space to build some cool rock work.

Here is a LINK to my thread in the "african cichlid photo section" of the forum, that has a couple of pics of our new 55g Mbuna tank. I only have a few pics up for now. Will take some more and post later in the week. Fish are a real PITA to photograph!

All of mine are male juvie 1.75" - 2.5" in size.

The rock work is in its initial stages. We will be expanding on it as the tank progresses.

Piscesorkillerwhale

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just set up a 55g mbuna tank, though a couple of peacocks will end up in it.

I considered mainly peacocks, but they will get to large to have over a dozen of them in a 55g.

For your 65g being 36" wide, i would disagree with the LFS. Yes it has 18" of depth and it is tall being 24" of height, but from my past research I concur with your assessment of it not being optimal for haps and peacocks.

Haps and peacocks will easily reach 5" - 8" fully grown, averaging in that 6"-7" range. They really need a 48" wide 75g tank minimum.

In my opinion and if it were my 65g tall, I would personally lean toward an all male Mbuna tank.

With some carefully stacked flagstone and limestone, you can make some great looking caves for the Mbuna, especially with the 18" depth you have. Good floor space to build some cool rock work.

Here is a LINK to my thread in the "african cichlid photo section" of the forum, that has a couple of pics of our new 55g Mbuna tank. I only have a few pics up for now. Will take some more and post later in the week. Fish are a real PITA to photograph!

All of mine are male juvie 1.75" - 2.5" in size.

The rock work is in its initial stages. We will be expanding on it as the tank progresses.
Thank you! I will look into it more. I do also love flower horns so maybe I'll try one of them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom