65g stocking ideas - suggestions?

boneboy

Hey all, partner and I decided to get another tank! I’ve been keeping fish for a few years but this is kind of his first dive into it. He has a few ideas, but I don’t know what will work with what!
It’s 1000mmx580mmx490
Current likes :
Angelfish
Balloon/German Ram
Dwarf Gourami
Bristlenose (would only be one)
Corydoras of some kind ?
Kuhli loaches
Cherry barbs

It would be planted tank, dark sandy substrate, driftwood, etc; any other ideas are appreciated, but he really likes striking, colourful fish. Could I make an acceptable stock list out of any of these? I’ve kept cories, kuhlies, barbs, bristlenose and gourami before, but the others are all new to me.
Any tips are appreciated!
Side note : he is obsessed with discus. I don’t have the first clue about them, but I’ve been warned they’re very sensitive and I don’t know anything about their care..

kansas

I have one angelfish with 6 honey gouramis and a male apistograma cacatuoides in a 55. The gouramis are social and the diff species ignore each other except at feeding time, when the angel gets aggressive.

I only have one angelfish cause of the fighting if you get more than one male or a pair forms and takes over the tank. Same reason I only have one apisto, I don't want the drama when a pair spawns.

So far, so good, nobody getting picked on.

boneboy

I have one angelfish with 6 honey gouramis and a male apistograma cacatuoides in a 55. The gouramis are social and the diff species ignore each other except at feeding time, when the angel gets aggressive.

I only have one angelfish cause of the fighting if you get more than one male or a pair forms and takes over the tank. Same reason I only have one apisto, I don't want the drama when a pair spawns.

So far, so good, nobody getting picked on.
I’m still learning about angels, I thought it was more ideal to keep in pairs, and if you keep them in 3s or more they often split apart to pick on another?

kansas

From what I read, if you have more than one and they're all males they'll fight. If you have a mixed gender group, it's likely two will form a pair and become very aggressive with the others when they spawn.

I know a lot of people keep multiple, but unless you tank is large and heavily planted they often end up having to rehome some of them.

I like a lightly stocked tank and I want to avoid aggression as much as possible. I've only been keeping fish a couple years and this angelfish only a few months, so I'm mostly repeating what I've read.

boneboy

I
From what I read, if you have more than one and they're all males they'll fight. If you have a mixed gender group, it's likely two will form a pair and become very aggressive with the others when they spawn.

I know a lot of people keep multiple, but unless you tank is large and heavily planted they often end up having to rehome some of them.

I like a lightly stocked tank and I want to avoid aggression as much as possible. I've only been keeping fish a couple years and this angelfish only a few months, so I'm mostly repeating what I've read.
might look into a pair of females or something similar and then pose it to my partner. Thanks! I’ll look into it

kansas

I

might look into a pair of females or something similar and then pose it to my partner. Thanks! I’ll look into it
From what I read, it's impossible to sex them until they spawn. Good luck.

kansas

One last comment, i considered dwarf gourami cause of how colorful they are, but got sunset honey gourami instead because dwarfs have a lot of health problems and if you keep more than one, there's gonna be a killing.

Honey's aren't as colorful, but they are social fish so they interact a lot. They like a lot of plants, including floaters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
boneboy
Replies
Views
RyanF18
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question