65g Community Tank Stocking Questions Help

1. N

Nick Cecchetti New Member Member

So i am picking up my 65g tank tomorrow, 36Lx24H18W, and i'm extremely fascinated with a planted community tank and have been looking for fish already.

I don't know much so please correct me if i'm wrong or say anything stupid. but I've been researching a lot and want to try to keep the tank very colorful and as safe as it can be for the fish. I've already came up with a few ideas for stocking so far and would love to add on and maybe even change my idea on some fish i picked out already, so far it goes like this.

Centerpiece - 2x Pearl Gourami (prefer a male and female for good coloring)

Schooling Fish - 12x Cardinal Tetra & 12x Galaxy Rasbora

Bottom Feeders - 8x Agassiz Corydoras & 8 Nerite Snails (for algae problems)

Other - 1x Apistogramma Agassizii

Im open to changing almost any of these other than the Pearl Gourami, but want to add some other medium sized fish with nice coloring to them, originally i was looking at Kribensis, but i found out that they are super colorful when they have mates and when they do have mates practically become sex machine killers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i also would take some recommendations on decorations and plants to put into the tank. :)

I would also change the gender of the Gourami if people think its a good idea, i know they can get a little aggressive when it becomes breeding season but i keep seeing that they are extremely peaceful especially for a Gourami.

I mainly am looking for bigger fish other than the usual small tetras and rasbora such as the Apisto for example.

2. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

Make sure you cycle the tank first. Here's how it works.

Ammonia is poisonous to fish. It occurs when fish faeces and fish food breaks down. You have to develop a bacteria colony to eat the ammonia so it doesn't occur and poison your fish.

The ammonia eating bacteria converts the ammonia to nitrite, which is also poison. Another bacteria colony will develop overtime luckily and convert it to nitrate, which is safe in 40ppm or less and is removed via plants and water changes.

You'll need some test kits to test when you've finished your cycle. Pick up pH, kH, gH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits.

Your stocking is fine, I wouldn't worry about that.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

3. OP
    OP
    N

I think i'm an idiot and hit the check mark twice for the cycling when registering, thank you for the help though! Do you have any recommendations for other fish to add possibly?

4. BringKermitBack

I think your tank could take one more school, why not add 12 rummynose tetras?

5. OP
    OP
    N

Hmm possibly, i heard they were very tight schooling fish so that would be pretty cool! You think i could fit any other bigger fish in there such as the Apisto for example? Thats only if i don't do that Rummynose though of course.

6. BringKermitBack

7. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

I love kribensis, I have one in my 60 gallon tank. Even without a mate she is pretty colorful.

8. OP
    OP
    N

Ill definitely look into it, im a huge fan of Kribs as well. You know any other fish i can fit in there? Maybe a fish that's a little bigger than the schooling fish that i can still fit 2 or 3 of?

9. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

Then Again there aren't any small weak fish in my 60 gallon,there are larger killifish, congo tetras, synodontis and a few other more robust fish. Im trying to do an african themed tank.

10. BringKermitBack

@MTVkribs may know as well, though I believe he stopped using the forum.

11. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey. They’re super super pretty. Non aggressive. Most people prefer the reds. I love the greens and yellows. But they take a lot of care. The water has to be perfect for them. They’re a delicate sensitive fish. If you haven’t kept cichlids before, this isn’t one I’d start with. But they are gorgeous!

12. OP
    OP
    N

I've been looking at Kribs a lot and from what i've seen, other than when they breed they are extremely peaceful. This wont be a problem since ill only go with one but i would take a good guess and say it should be fine, ill keep a close eye for a week or so though.

@Discus-Tang and @Wobbegong I really appreciate the help so far!

I actually have a 75g long of African Cichlids, hopefully all should go well with the new tank though :)
    @Gypsy13 Thank you for the help with letting me know how delicate they are especially with the water!

13. Gypsy13

You’re very welcome. What you’ve got planned so far sounds awesome. :)

14. OP
    OP
    N

Thank you very much :) hopefully it all comes together as well as it sounds. I just need to find the right plants and am currently looking for some driftwood and maybe an Ohko Dragon Stone, not too sure right now but if you have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated! (that goes for pieces of driftwood, plants and even stone.)

15. Gypsy13

I’m currently discouraged when it comes to driftwood. The local stores have nothing and online folks are complaining about what they get. Dragon stones are a whole nother story. I love them. Want them all! Do get one. Not too big but big enough! And I’ve found a new love in plants. I got to feel one at a docs office. Water wisteria. I’m in love! :)

16. OP
    OP
    N

Sounds good, ill only buy driftwood if i see it up close then. Dragon stones on the other hand look amazing and the community tank at my LFS has one and i love it. Ill go take a look at that Water Wiseria as well, I also have my eyes on African Water Fern, Hornwort and Cryptocryne Wendtii

17. BringKermitBack

If you buy driftwood online go for manzanita.

18. OP
    OP
    N

Ill go take a look, thank you for the help Discus!