65g angelfish tank journal

FishionistaB

Reaction score
I’m excited to be here. I have some experience with basic tanks in the past; betas, guppies, mollies, etc in 40gal or smaller. Nothing this big or beautiful until now. Most recently I deactivated my Facebook account and decided to go all out with a brand new 65gallon deep set up, this being my main source of social media and my new online persona. Follow the journey on Pinterest at .

Two Sunday’s ago we filled the tank with eco complete and fluval stratum for our substrate and filled the tank with water. We attached an Eheim 2213 and shortly after another Eheim 2217 with a Hydor in-line heater. Fluval LED 36” plant light with Bluetooth capabilities was installed. Several days after we added some different types of Cory catfish. We are currently waiting for our 7# manzanita driftwood to sink. We’ve added a few species of Anubis, crypto, and some java moss. Another shipment of plants is coming Friday to add to the tank. We are beyond excited!!

So far cycling is going ok. There are some trace levels of ammonia and nitrites which is not ideal for the fish but overall the starters seem very happy and we also already have some Nitrates. Tank flow is very high and water is very clear. Plan on continuing to check levels every day or so, minimal feeding, and not adding any more fish until cycling is complete. I’m planning on doing a water change as soon as the python aquarium cleaning system comes in. I’ve been using seachem prime every other day to bind the ammonia and nitrites into non-toxic compounds to get us through the cycle.

I’m excited to meet you all and discuss our tanks. Open to any and all advice along the way! Thanks for following along everyone :)

Attachments

faydout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's looking great, and it sounds like you're having alot of fun with the build. Just a couple of things I see to keep an eye out for. With that 18" width and it being planted, I'd consider getting another Fluval light. One of them won't be able to give you the kind of coverage front to back that you're going to need. I'm personally not a fan of fish in cycles, that said, I don't think they're mean or dangerous or anything as long as you keep on top of maintenance while it's cycling. Cory's imo aren't a good fish to cycle with. They do best in a somewhat mature tank. I only mention this as something to keep in mind if you start to get some die off with them, and can't find any obvious reason.

OP
F

FishionistaB

Reaction score
faydout said:
It's looking great, and it sounds like you're having alot of fun with the build. Just a couple of things I see to keep an eye out for. With that 18" width and it being planted, I'd consider getting another Fluval light. One of them won't be able to give you the kind of coverage front to back that you're going to need. I'm personally not a fan of fish in cycles, that said, I don't think they're mean or dangerous or anything as long as you keep on top of maintenance while it's cycling. Cory's imo aren't a good fish to cycle with. They do best in a somewhat mature tank. I only mention this as something to keep in mind if you start to get some die off with them, and can't find any obvious reason.
So far they’re all doing really well! I had one that died but I actually noticed something was wrong with him right after I finished with the intro phase and let him free. So something was wrong before I ever purchased him. I know I’ll get a little bit of judgment with the fish in cycle but one of the filters was pre-used so had some biological organisms already present. Not in the large numbers that are needed quite yet but, we’re getting there and keeping a super close eye on things along the way. I’ll definitely look into purchasing another light, this would def be a future purchase as I’ve spent quite a bit on this project so far. All great feedback :) thanks for following along

faydout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishionistaB said:
I know I’ll get a little bit of judgment
Please don't think that this is what I was doing. I prefer fishless cycling... because it's the lazy way to cycle a tank (no need to keep on top of parameters or water changes nearly as often doing fishless). No worries on the light, just trying to plant the thought so if you aren't getting the kind of growth you wanted, there's a possible fix. 65's are a great size. Same footprint as a 40 breeder, just taller. Oh, one other thing I'm seeing... with the plants you've listed (no idea what's coming on Friday), I'd not get too crazy on ferts if you decide to use them. The plants you've listed are more on the slow growing side and aren't going to need a crazy amount of added nutrients. If you dose too much, you're going to get an algae problem.

OP
F

FishionistaB

Reaction score
faydout said:
Please don't think that this is what I was doing. I prefer fishless cycling... because it's the lazy way to cycle a tank (no need to keep on top of parameters or water changes nearly as often doing fishless). No worries on the light, just trying to plant the thought so if you aren't getting the kind of growth you wanted, there's a possible fix. 65's are a great size. Same footprint as a 40 breeder, just taller. Oh, one other thing I'm seeing... with the plants you've listed (no idea what's coming on Friday), I'd not get too crazy on ferts if you decide to use them. The plants you've listed are more on the slow growing side and aren't going to need a crazy amount of added nutrients. If you dose too much, you're going to get an algae problem.
Thanks for saying so! My boyfriend is more of a “fish tank expert” he’s teaching me a lot and I’m confident we can handle the high maintenance of the fish-in cycle. So far I’ve seen some nay-sayers but most everyone has been more helpful than hateful. I did talk to him about the light and he says since we went with the biggest, baddest version it has more than enough wattage to fit what we have. is the link to the light if you wanted to check the specs and give me your opinion. There’s honestly not any part on the bottom of the tank that appears to not get light. We even keep it at about 30% because the brightest setting is super intense.
We (mostly him because he has the knowledge) actually chose those plants knowing They’re low tech. He used to have all sorts of high tech tanks with carbon injections and the whole nine. But honestly he’s helping me with this low-tech planted angel tank because it’s my dream to have. I’ve always wanted something like this :). I hope I didn’t come off rude with that part, it definitely wasn’t aimed at you and your response was 100% tactful and respectful

faydout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Love Fluval lights. I'm almost done swapping out everything that I had that wasn't fluval (I've got a 3.0 in the mail atm). If you weren't planning on doing a planted tank, I'd agree completely. The issue is light spread. Was trying to type out an explanation... but I prefer to let smarter people who've done the work, better explain it. Found a pretty quick 6 minute video that explains light spread and why I'd consider adding another light down the road.

Edited to add: Most of my lights don't go any higher on the white spectrum than 25%. The only exception to that is the one that I use blackwater extract in.

Here's the 2 aquasky's I've got running on my 40B (again, same footprint 36" X 18" as your 65)
IMG_0752.jpg

OP
F

FishionistaB

Reaction score
faydout said:
Love Fluval lights. I'm almost done swapping out everything that I had that wasn't fluval (I've got a 3.0 in the mail atm). If you weren't planning on doing a planted tank, I'd agree completely. The issue is light spread. Was trying to type out an explanation... but I prefer to let smarter people who've done the work, better explain it. Found a pretty quick 6 minute video that explains light spread and why I'd consider adding another light down the road.

Edited to add: Most of my lights don't go any higher on the white spectrum than 25%. The only exception to that is the one that I use blackwater extract in.

Here's the 2 aquasky's I've got running on my 40B (again, same footprint 36" X 18" as your 65)
IMG_0752.jpg
Thanks for the video! Will def watch it when I get settled in! So you would not turn up the brightness? Instead of buying a second one? I’m sure the video you posted will answer all my questions I just love reading and conversing vs watching videos. I promise I’ll watch it though at some point

OP
F

FishionistaB

Reaction score
just got the tank fully stocked last night. 5 angelfish, two blood parrots!!

full list of fish: 20 Corydoras (different species include; scleromystax, julii, pepper). 2 blood parrot, 5 angelfish, 6 otocinclus, assorted snails (nerite and mystery)

Attachments

New Threads