65 Gallon Substrate Question Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by TetraKing101, Apr 20, 2019.

1. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I looking to put a 2 inch maybe 3 sand substrate layer in my 65 gallon tank how many pounds would I need ?
    Thanks in advance

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

50 worked for me

3. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

50 in my 55 worked for me with some left over. I only put about 1 1/2 inch layer in there though.

4. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

They seek the sand in bagels of 20 so I’ll get 3 so 60 pounds will be ok at for a 2 inch layer thanks

5. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Where are you buying your sand? I am not sure where you live but if in the US pool filter sand is really inexpensive. I paid less than $5.00 for 50 pounds of it.

6. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I live in Canada and I’m getting it at Canadian tire 12.99 for 20 pounds that’s the cheapest I can find also it’s the closest I’m fine paying that price to
    ( it’s pool filter sand)

7. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

60lbs should be fine. I get a lb per gallon minimum when I start a tank.

8. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Gotcha. Just be sure to rinse it really really well before you put it in the tank. When I rinsed mine I was able to do it outside. I have a neat little yard cart on wheels with a sloped front. It sure made rinsing the full 50 pound easy. I actually never had to put my hands in the sand to stir it. I just used my hose attachment set on jet stream and it did the stirring for me.

If you don't have something like that a 5 gallon bucket will work well too. Just keep filling with water and pouring it off. The true sand will settle but all of the other stuff will float and will be poured off.

It took a lot of water to make sure it was rinsed well enough but at least when I put it in the tank it didn't cloud the water at all so no extra water changes had to be done after putting the sand in there.

9. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I have done this a lot of times I usually use a 5 gallon bucket and rinse it the reviews on the sand say that someone used if for there tank and they rinsed it and it didn’t cloud at all hopefully that will work for me to

10. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like I gave a lot more info than was needed. I do tend to get kinda long winded from time to time :D

I don't think it will cloud as long as it is rinsed well to begin with. You should get very few floaters if rinsed well too.

11. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

No problem the more info the better haven’t done it in a while so a reminder was much needed thanks