65 Gallon Stocking

Betta02

Hi all, I've had my 65 gallon up and running for almost two months, it is completely cycled, and I currently have just a few fish in it that I moved from my 35 gallon hex. I am not sure what I want to add, but have come up with at least one scenario. Now that I can go the LFS, I want to add more fish.

Tank Parameters:

Aqueon 65 gallon tall
Sand substrate
Artificial Plants
Temp: 76 F ish
Filtration - 2 Penn Plax 300 HOB filters

Current Stock:

4 Common Hatchet
7 Harlequin Rasbora
8 Bronze Cory
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Planned Stocking:

8 Hatchet
20 Rasbora
8 Cory
1 Albino Bristlenose
20 Fancy Male Guppy

I'm open to any suggestions, it's just so hard to decide!

ProudPapa

For almost anyone with a community tank that's large enough, and yours is, I recommend a male and two or three female pearl gouramis.

Upvote 0

Betta02

For almost anyone with a community tank that's large enough, and yours is, I recommend a male and two or three female pearl gouramis.
Would that be in addition to my planned stock?

Upvote 0

Betta02

Alrighty, well, I believe I've changed my mind again. I asked my LFS about the pearl gouramis, the wonderful woman who always helps me admits she knows nothing about sexing those fish. Since I don't either, I think I will pass on those just to be on the safe side.
I've always considered Angelfish a possibility, and have adjusted my stocking somewhat, but would like input as I find there is a lot of conflicting information out there on these fish.
6 Hatchetfish
20 Harlequin Rasbora
8 Bronze Cory
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1-4 Angelfish?

How many Angels could I safely add, if any? I'm running two Penn Plax 300 HOB filters, and do water changes weekly of 30-40%. I will be heading to the LFS in the next day or so, so hope to have my mind made up by then.

Upvote 0

Kieren Munson-Burke

I know that angelfish do best in groups or an attached pair. I'm not sure exactly how many you could add to that stocking but I think you could comfortably add two but you want to make sure they're a pair!

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Alrighty, well, I believe I've changed my mind again. I asked my LFS about the pearl gouramis, the wonderful woman who always helps me admits she knows nothing about sexing those fish. Since I don't either, I think I will pass on those just to be on the safe side.

The females fins are rounded, with smooth edges. The males fins are longer, with jagged edges, and they develop an orange throat as they get older. I'm not trying to change your mind, or confuse the issue, but thought you might want to know.

Upvote 0

Betta02

The females fins are rounded, with smooth edges. The males fins are longer, with jagged edges, and they develop an orange throat as they get older. I'm not trying to change your mind, or confuse the issue, but thought you might want to know.
Thanks for that information. I will do some research to see how easy it can be to tell them apart. I did go the LFS today, picked up another 10 Harlequin Rasboras. They seem to be adjusting just fine. Went right in with the others in the tank and are all loosely schooling.
The store had a few Angels, already some pretty large. But they will be getting some Koi Angels in later this week, and are supposed to call me when they come in. It will either be the Gouramis (if I can get that figured out), or a couple of Koi Angels. We shall see.....

Upvote 0

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom