Question 65 gallon stocking question

rageinred

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I currently have a 65 gallon (previously thought it was a 60 gallon untill I put the measurements into a tank calculator).
Current stocking is:
4Molly -1m 3f
2 guppies- 1m 1f
Platy fry
So my current plan is to build to
4 molly
10 guppy
8 corydora
Fry (as a grow out tank before they move on)
As far as breeding goes, yes I keep both male and female, no I am not selling them, no I do not use a breeder trap. I do allow the fish to mate and birth naturally and the majority of fry become snacks. The ones that survive grow untill large enough to go to lfs.
Question is, is this stocking number acceptable while keeping in mind that fry will come and go?
20200702_192850.jpg

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 90g tank with mollies and swordtails. They did have a lot of fry. Some lived, others "disappeared ". It is a heavily planted tank so the fry survival rate is quite high. Seeing as your tank is pretty open, I'd imagine the fry would get picked off pretty easily.

OP
rageinred

rageinred

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mike1995 said:
I have a 90g tank with mollies and swordtails. They did have a lot of fry. Some lived, others "disappeared ". It is a heavily planted tank so the fry survival rate is quite high. Seeing as your tank is pretty open, I'd imagine the fry would get picked off pretty easily.
Yes, I am not purposely raising fry so when they become snacks I am ok with that. I just know that they can boom fast and can.add to the bio load if there are enough of them. Do you think my stocking numbers look ok though?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd add at least 2 more female guppies otherwise the male will chase the lone female to no relent.

LuxuriantTen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think that, considering you have a 65 G tank, 4 mollies, 10 guppy's and 8 cory's (what species are you thinking of getting?) means you are fairly understocked. Even when considering fry.

New Threads