65 Gallon Stocking Ideas

beick

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now. It's been very helpful as I try to learn as much as I can, but I'm to the point that I think I need more specific advice or ideas.

A little background on my tank:
After I set the tank up I got some ammonia drops and was determined to do a fishless cycle. Well it took about a month and two bottles to TSS before I discovered TSS isn't really designed to work that way. 100% water change and a couple days later and impatience finally got the better of me.

I knew I wanted to start with Tetras, I originally intended to get Phantom Tetras, but in my town there is a Petsmart, Walmart, and a regional pet store that has maybe a dozen tanks..that's it. Tried to order some online and they wouldn't guarantee them because of local temperatures. So off to Petsmart and long story short I come home with 8 Serpae Tetras(more on them later). I did buy 2 more bottle's of TSS off Amazon where they aren't expensive and today I ordered a bottle of Stability as well. One bottle went in with the fish and I'm doing a cap full per day to supplement. Testing the water twice a day and planning a 20% or so water change daily unless I need more..Basically I'm throwing everything I can at it to make sure the Tetras come through without trauma if possible. After 2 full days Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and Nitrate is around 20. I have some colorblindness though so they could be a slightly higher than 0, but not much. Could still be too early to see much build up too I guess?

Okay, to the point:
The Serpaes threw some of my original stocking ideas out the window. I knew they could be a little nippy and aggressive, but was under the impression they were aggressive for Tetras but relatively peaceful especially in larger numbers. After I get them I decide to read little more and started finding horror story after horror story. It's like I found only positive information before I bought them then nothing but negative. All well, live and learn. They all seem to be doing really well so far. Very active and their colors have noticeably deepened already. I'm sure some people would recommend returning them, but they seem pretty happy and I'd feel really guilty about sending them back to that tiny PetSmart tank. Not to mention I've grown pretty fond of them already so I want to give it my best go.

The tank is 36Lx18Wx24H. Fluval 406, white sand ,and it's lightly planted. It has a few Java Ferns, MoneyWort and Anacharis. I did build a "cave system" and have large a piece of Spiderwood with lots of intertwined "branches" so there are lots of hiding places even though it's not heavily planted.

I had originally planned on a typical community tank, but I feel I need to adjust that plan now.

Already in Tank:
Serpae Tetras 12-16(currently have the 8)
These two I'm pretty set on.
Panda Cory 8 -10
BN Pleco 1

With it being tall I'd really like some Mid-Upper level swimmers:
Harlequin ( 12-16)?
Another Tetra or Barb School?

Centerpiece fish I've considered:
Red Tailed Black Shark 1
Bolivian Ram 2-5?
Keyhole 2(Pair)
Pearl Gourami 2-4? (Seem to be a difference of opinion if they can be kept with Serpae)

Not interested in danios, most livebearers or hatchets, but otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

20180702_130545.jpg

Animus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry, I don't have the experience to offer suggestions for your tank, but could I ask what you are using for stone in your hardscape? It all looks pretty smooth and I wonder if it might work well for my rainbow sharks. Your tank is beautiful by the way.

beick

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank You. I'm not very artistic so it took a lot of trial and error. This is probably the 30th attempt overall and the 4th or 5th "final" attempt.

There are 3 different types of stone. Only one of the types actually has a smooth surface. the are 4 total in the tank, but the obvious example is the one standing alone on the far right. It has very smooth almost polished surface. I was labeled as "Purple Jade" It was about $4Lb so not actual Jade. I found it at a local pet store in Louisville KY called Feeders Supply. I know they stock quite a bit of it because they have about 20 locations and I've seen it at more than one, but I have no idea where they get it from. At the time I looked and the only place I found online selling it was a German website .

The other two are Plain Slate, and a Mystery white and grey "River Rock" I bought from a different local shop. Basically, I'd go to any local shop when traveling and buy something if I liked it. Took awhile to accumulate everything in the tank, but I lucked out that it all kind of went together.

Animus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
beick said:
Thank You. I'm not very artistic so it took a lot of trial and error. This is probably the 30th attempt overall and the 4th or 5th "final" attempt.

There are 3 different types of stone. Only one of the types actually has a smooth surface. the are 4 total in the tank, but the obvious example is the one standing alone on the far right. It has very smooth almost polished surface. I was labeled as "Purple Jade" It was about $4Lb so not actual Jade. I found it at a local pet store in Louisville KY called Feeders Supply. I know they stock quite a bit of it because they have about 20 locations and I've seen it at more than one, but I have no idea where they get it from. At the time I looked and the only place I found online selling it was a German website .

The other two are Plain Slate, and a Mystery white and grey "River Rock" I bought from a different local shop. Basically, I'd go to any local shop when traveling and buy something if I liked it. Took awhile to accumulate everything in the tank, but I lucked out that it all kind of went together.
Thanks for the info

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom