65 gallon stocking ideas

1. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Okay so the owner of our company wants a fish tank and put me in charge of the project. Budget is $500.

The space is 36 x 20. So i figured a 65g (or a 50g, 45g, 40breeder etc).

I want to give him a proposal with several options of fish to choose from as well as environments.

I'm looking for a couple different groups:
    - South american cichlids (heard they're least aggressive)
    - Larger more common tropicals (gouramis, rams, angels, etc)
    - coldwater (maybe a good option to throw in there)

Also... let me know what kind of environment I can have with the groups... i know some fish eat plants and some dont. Some like more rocky environments and some dont.

Thanks in advance!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would think what would make a good stock for that size is

2 Large Angelfish
    2 Electric Blue Rams
    8-10 Zebra Loaches
    10-12 Rummynose Tetra/Lemon Tetra

I would think that stock would be very eye catching. You'll want a temperature of around 80 or 81. You can do a rocky environment or plants. The loaches will appreciate a planted tank but will do just fine with rocks as well. Sand would be the optimal substrate.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would set some time to lay out all the details with your bosses, especially when it comes to the budget. Run everything by them after calculating all the upfront costs as well as what the budget is going to be for maintenance costs (maintenance products, test kits, medication if needed, etc) after the tank is set up and cycled. Are they hiring a company to do water changes or is this something that's going to be expected of you as well?

You'd also be surprised how much things might change after they've put you in charge of the whole project and all of a sudden they want a say in what kinds of fish they want in there and how much money they're really willing to put in after it's all said and done.

I'm not trying to be negative and discouraging in any way. We had a forum member here last year who did something similar at work for her bosses and it jeopardized her position at work because her bosses felt they spent more than necessary especially when the fish got sick and some died. I'd hate for you to be in similar circumstances so just plan everything out in detail and make sure they're aware of all the details and costs and agree to it in writing or something.

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Thanks! Me and another coworker will be in charge of taking care of the tank (which actually gives me job security lol). From what I've gathered, the owner has had tanks in the past and a lot of my coworkers have or have had tanks but I'll explain it again for them.

That's why I'd like to have a couple different stocking options to propose with photos of the fish. This way they can say what they like and we can change it from there if need be.

Mind you... the owner has 2 tesla cars and from what I've been told, the company is worth tens of millions. Also he was originally looking at an $1000 tank. So I'm sure he has the money for it :)

He wants the tank for good feng shui as well as a relaxing element for our workers and a nice statement for our clients who come in.

Thanks for your concern for sure! I really appreciate it!! I have a 5g RCS tank at work and have been wanting another tank myself so this new work tank can satisfy that lol.

5. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

So I figured cold water wouldn't work well since it gets hot (80F) here in the summer and cold (50F) in the winter. So either cichlids or tropicals will work with a good heater or two.

I appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Still need more help with this!!