65 Gallon Stocking Help 65 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by TetraKing101, Apr 9, 2019.

1. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I have a 65 gallon that I’m going to start cycling mid way through May I have a list of fish I really like and enjoy but I need some help about how many I can have and witch ones don’t work together

This is what I have so far
    - [ ] Silver tip tetras
    - [ ] Serbia’s or panda Cory’s
    - [ ] Long fin zebra danios
    - [ ] celestial pearl danios
    - [ ] Bristle nose/ busy nose pleco
    - [ ] Gold ring danios
    - [ ] Honey Gourami
    - [ ] Runny nose tetras

I know I want a school of tetras like 15-20
    And and some centrepiece fish. I really enjoy bright and colour full fish.

2. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Definitely research what temps those fish prefer. The sterbais prefer warmer water, along with the rummynose, but the zebra danios, pandas, and pleco (i think) prefer it on the cooler side. The gouramis are kind of in the middle, like 77 ish. Im not sure about the rest. I usually pick the fish i want the most, do a heck ton of research, and build the rest of the tank around that. You can also use aqadvisor, but just know that they're not perfect, it's a good starting point though.

3. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice I have done a lot of reasearch about those fish.

4. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Have you considered Red Serpae Tetras for a schooling fish?

I've had my school of a dozen for almost a year now.

They have been hardy, have grown well and colored up nice.

So far, I have not observed them nipping or bullying their tankmates, although other members report their's will on occasion.

5. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

Thanks I will look in to them

6. CCinBamaValued MemberMember

I found serpae tetras to be too nippy and annoying. I had better luck with Buenos Aires Tetras, Colombian Tetras or giant danios in shoals of 6-10. My centerpiece in 1 tank is a gold severum, and a EB acara in another. And I have cories on the bottom of both. Everyone gets along great. Looking forward to hearing what you decide on!

7. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@CCinBama , how long did it take your severum to get size on it?

I ask because I'm considering a new tank, with central/south American cichlids , and I've always been interested in severums

8. CCinBamaValued MemberMember

I have had several over the years because they are probably my fav. They all grew fast at first, probably up to 4 inch in 6 to 7 months but then slowed quite a bit. The last two I had (Green and gold) were only 5-6 inches at 3 years, but that may be partly my fault as they were only in a 50g. (Sadly I lost them both after a lengthy power outage.) My current gold is also 4 inches at about 6 months.
    I’m hoping to find a Rotkeil sev next. They supposedly don’t get as big as regulars, maybe 6”. You can’t beat sevs, there are tons of fun and get along with most everyone (but WILL tear up plants).