65 Gallon Stocking For Mid And Top

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Wraithen, Aug 5, 2017.

1. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

I couldn't convince the wife of my ultimate but she did let me pull the trigger on a 24t x 36l x 18w 65 gallon. I've got it set up and running and starting the diskless cycle as soon as I can get my hands on a test kit.

I know I want some corys and a pleco or two, and a couple of dwarf or sparkling gourami. Other than that I have no idea how to finish the stocking of the mid and top levels. My tank is an empty glass canvas for now but I will end up with some hidey hole rocks and anacharis and a sword. Anyone wanna give me ideas for temp compatibility to round this tank out?

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What about

1 Angelfish
    1-4 DG (1m/1-3f)
    2 GBR
    12 Lemon, Rummynose, or other warmer water tetra
    12 Albino or Bronze Corydoras (can substitute a different warmer water type)
    1 Clown Pleco
    Temp 78

3. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

I'd just forget the dwarf gouramis unless you get females. They're little pests. And other gouramis don't like them . and don't put angelfish with gouramis. The gouramis are either always curious or nip fins. And angelfish with their long fins probably aren't gonna fare well. Tetras aren't a great idea either. They're nippy. A live bearer would be a wiser choice.

4. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

I'd just forget the dwarf gouramis unless you get females. They're little pests. And other gouramis don't like them . and don't put angelfish with gouramis. The gouramis are either always curious or nip fins. And angelfish with their long fins probably aren't gonna fare well. Tetras aren't a great idea either. They're nippy. A live bearer would be a wiser choice.

5. OP
    OP
    W

Lol I hate angels so that's not a problem

6. Katie13

EBA?

7. OP
    OP
    W

Do what? Idk that acronym.

8. Katie13

My bad. EBA stands for Electric Blue Acara.

9. OP
    OP
    W

Oh. I should've known. Just couldn't stop thinking ram for some reason and there wasn't an "r". I'm thinking a clown pleco, mauve 2, and 8 smaller breed corys. 4 dwarf gouramis if they leave the bottom guys alone, if not I'll trade them out for something else for the top 3rd, maybe pearl gouramis? Thinking if my local guy can add some pearl danios they may work as well since im slightly overfiltered anyway. Anyone know offhand if all of the fish I've mentioned do well in about 80 degrees with super hard 8.4ish ph Water? My temp is adjustable down to about 75. My LFS is great about labeling which stock is aquacultured and which isn't so I may get some good hardy captive breds.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Pearl gouramis would be a better option than dwarfs, yes.
    Pearl danios need cooler temps than 80F.
    I wouldn't worry about the pH.

11. OP
    OP
    W

You're right, I didn't realize at first that temps need to be factored in as well. The pearl danios don't look nearly as nice in person so that idea is scrapped in multiple ways now.

Doing a black nat geo sand substrate with a wonder rock and some anacharis and fern. Day one of my cycle so I've got a little time to plan it all out.

I'd like to have a higher level school of something but tetras are probably out unless there's a few I haven't seen, hatchets as well. I detest barbs even if they'd work out. Guess I'll have to pick my lfs employees' brains and browse their distributor list.

12. OP
    OP
    W

Is there a pleco that is pretty common that gets about 6 inches and doesn't need or want driftwood? Gotta keep the wife involved and she is head over heels for a certain sunken pirate ship

13. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

What kind of tank do you want? Active or calm? Peaceful or semi-aggressive? Lots of tiny fish, a few big fish, or a combination? Are you more concerned about color or personality? Answers to those will help people give you suggestions :)

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about cherry barbs? See if you like those.

15. OP
    OP
    W

I want a pretty community lol. I'm pretty much impossible at this point. I want it all to work out and I think I've got everything I "need," I'm just wondering if there's something that would fit in addition. It's going to have to be a semi aggressive community due to the gouramis. The biggest issue I have is my ideal tank would be a 200 gallon that's only 18 inches tall due to my propensity for the bottom feeders.

16. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

1 Electric Blue Acara
    2 Pearl Gouramis
    2 German Blue Rams
    10 Cherry Barbs
    10 Diamond Tetras
    12 Bronze or Sterbai Corys
    1 Green Phantom Pleco or Clown Pleco.

Temp 80F

Any dithers(schooling fish) would work that are temp compatible, try finding what you like and we could help you stock.

Driftwood is good , but doesn't have to be a huge piece just as long as the Pleco could fit on it.

17. OP
    OP
    W

I'll take this list in and see if I can get it locally. I like this list minus the dithers. I could always settle for something... funny thing that tetras and barbs are always at the forefront for me, my daughter may like the glofish. I know they are pretty hardy, gotta check temps for them.

18. vikingkirken

What kind of schoolers are you looking for... what is it about tetras and barbs you don't like? There are some rainbowfish that would work, either with that stock or a cooler-water one. Harlequin rasboras are another option.

19. OP
    OP
    W

I dont like barbs because every time ive seen them in a community tank they are little packs of bullies. Looking again though bloodfin tetras look like a good fit and they kind of look like mini rainbow sharks so they might actually work for me.

20. vikingkirken

Bloodfins are cool, they are great schoolers!

Most barbs are much less aggressive than tiger barbs. Cherry barbs are some of the most peaceful. If you end up doing cooler-water fish, look into odessa, checkered, or gold barbs as well. All very pretty and playful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice