65 Gallon Stocking Advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Yobi, Apr 18, 2017.

1. YobiNew MemberMember

Hi all. I am nearing the cycling process with a 65 gallon tank. I screwed up and with the advice of the LFS and am doing a fish in cycle with 5 platies and 2 mystery snails. I'm using Prime so hopefully that is helping as everyone seems to be doing ok. Now for my question, would the following stock be Ok?

5 sunset platy
    2 mystery snails
    2 angelfish
    2 dwarf gourami of some kind
    And either
    8 Cory (either panda, pepper or false juliis)
    OR
    8 kuhli loach

I'm worried about the angels and gouramis, so what order would you add those? Also, would I have room for 5 more platies? I have a marineland 350b and am looking at getting a Sunsun 304b soon.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Is this tank 36" long or 48" long?

Angels aren't temp compatible with platies, panda cories, pepper cories, or false julii cories. If you really wanted angelfish, you'll need to choose different species.

Male dwarf gouramis will kill each other and females are hard to find. There are other gouramis that would be better here.

If you're interested, we can give you some stocking options. What's the one fish species that's a must-have for you?

3. OP
    OP
    Y

YobiNew MemberMember

It's the 36" x 18" x 24" tall. I would like larger colorful fish. Angels are not a must. What are some other centerpiece fish that would work with platies, corys, and 1 male dwarf gourami? Could I get a couple larger gourami such as honey or moonlight instead of the dwarf?

4. TexasDomer

What about something like this?

5x Male platies
    10-12x Panda, peppered, or false julii cories (if you go with peppereds, you're more limited, as they should be in temps 72 F and below; 75 F and below is fine for the other two species) or 12x Kuhli loaches
    10x Neon tetras
    10x White cloud mountain minnows
    2-4x Honey gourami (these won't work if you go with peppered cories; other gouramis, except the dwarf, require warmer water)
    Mystery snails

5. r15u5

r15u5Valued MemberMember

As far as I know the Honey is a Dwarf Gourami. I know that some others such as the Sparkling can work out with DG although I think the care level can be difficult.

I personally love DGs. They are so curious and have great personalities. I have the same tank as you and in it I have 4 angels, 1 flame DG, 6 BNT, 1 rhino pleco, 2 GBR and everyone responds well to the 79.4 - 80.1 range. I love plecos, but I miss having corys. I'll likely support my MTS and endup with a lower temp tank :-o

FWIW, I added the DG and the angels at the same time. They never had an issue, but my angels are pearl and black.. not very bright. The GBR (breeding pair) and DG get into it every once and a while but only when the GBR are nesting and tending to eggs. Personally I think the DG just goes over there to troll them ;-)

6. TexasDomer

Honey gouramis are a different species than dwarf gourami. I would not keep sparkling gouramis with DGs - DGs are aggressive and sparkling gouramis are much smaller and more timid.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with TD's advice.

8. r15u5

r15u5Valued MemberMember

@TexasDomer ahh I see.. even though they are sometimes referred to as Honey Dwarf Gourami, species wise we are talking about t. sota t. chuna and t. lalius

I don't have any experience with DG + sparkling but I've read some success stories. What would you think of sparkling with honey gourami?

9. TexasDomer

I wouldn't do that either. Both are peaceful, but might feel threatened or stressed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice