65 gallon planted hex stocking?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Rejectedbread87, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Rejectedbread87

Rejectedbread87 Valued Member Member

Will these fish live togeather in a 65gal planted hex?
    3x tiger barbs
    5x emarald barbs
    2x rosy barbs
    1x dwarf gourami, male
    2x dwarf gourami, female
    1x butterfly pleco
    1x peacock eel( he's my rescue and needs more room)

This 65 is established plus planted and now time to stock it. Also are 6x serpae tetra an option with the barbs as a substitute for the gouramis?
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Ph 6.8
    Temp 76F

2. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

Up all schools of Barbs to 5 or more, the Tiger's could be an issue. I would have at least 9 of them, even then they may harass the other barbs and nip fins. Otherwise sounds like a great stocklist for a planted tank, post some pics.

3. OP
    OP
    Rejectedbread87

Upping the schools won't overstock me will it? And of course I will post pics of it. I got really lucky, the tank, stand and all the equipment was for free.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Because its a hex tank, you cannot stock it like it were a rectangular tank. There's just not the foot print. I would limit the number of schools to 3 - top, middle and bottom.

Female dwarf gouramis are very hard to find. In all my years I have only ever seen one. I've only heard a couple accounts of keeping a male with a females (due to the rarity of females) and the male killed them.

Which fish are a must have?

5. OP
    OP
    Rejectedbread87

The eel is a must because I already have him. I need the pleco to cover if the algae returns, the condition of the tank concerning algae was dire, And barbs I would really like to have.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice