65 gallon plans, input accepted!

1. Grimund Well Known Member Member

So, I'm planning on a 65 gallon freshwater build. After much research, I've come to a list of equipment based on budget and quality.

Filtration___
    Hydor Professional 450 - Sponge/Floss, NitraZorb, Matrix

Heating____
    Hydor 300w Inline Heater w/ Finnex Thermostat

Lighting____
    36" Finnex Planted+ 24/7

CO2________(in progress)
    Milwaukee regulator, bubble counter, solenoid
    Needle Valve (have to find it again)
    GLA inline Diffuser/Atomizer/Reactor

Substrate__
    Black Diamond Blasting Sand w/ Custom Slate and Silicone inserts

My issues come from my inserts, yet to be made and will be made from slate. Going with a triple black tank to make everything stand out. I have rough sketches and keep getting stumped.

[​IMG]

The top rectangle is a side view and the bottom is a top down. I've decided on a tiered planter box (left) and a tall arch way structure (bottom right). Everything else in up in the air right now and would like input.

My stocking plans include, lemon and flame tetra, two angels, cories, and electric blue rams. No need for specifics, just something to keep in mind.

2. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

That's going to look really cool! I'm interested to see how you're going to build the planter.

You probably don't need both matrix and nitrazorb, so that could get you back a little money to spend elsewhere :)

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Most likely acrylic with slate "veneer" for each box but might do all slate bottoms. Long pieces of slate for the legs? Haven't got that far into it yet. The idea is to break up the height and still be able to showcase higher light plants since a 65 is 24" tall.

I'm going to be using both as I have high nitrates in my source water. NitraZorb will help keep it low while the last BB grows to keep nitrates in check.

4. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Idea! Instead of having that elevated plate, use long pieces of slate to create spires with a caves on the bottom. Maybe have another box held up by three of them.

I'm not sure and keep second guessing a lot :(

I want something so radically different than putting all the plants on the bottom. I can't just leave well enough alone, can I?

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

lol, at least you're doing it before you've purchased everything :) I'm in the process of trying to figure out what to do with one of mine again, because I still haven't really managed to get it where I want it, and it's been up and running 9 months...

6. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I kinda have to. The pieces are large and would be glued into other pieces of its unit.

I also have to find PAR data for my intended fixture. It'll let me know what plants I can pick for the different heights.

So far I've chosen Swords and Crypts for the bottom, but haven't really researched individual plants yet.

7. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Swords and crypts are good choices. I have them in stock lighting and they do well enough, so even with the depth of the tank, I'd think they would be ok.

8. Grimund Well Known Member Member

That's why I choose them. Swords get tall which will hide intake/outtake tubes nicely

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Okay, not that I expect people to jump to my thread, I think that I'm going to try my hand at one particular plant.

On the right side of the tank, I think I really want to try and grow a Lotus. Tropical variety to ensure year round blooming.

This means that I will have to use an open top, which I'm fine with, but asks the question; are cories safe for an open top? I've read that they are known to dart to the surface once in a while.

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Corys go up for air if the oxygen level is low, but they don't jump. :)

11. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Sweet!

Now only if I could find out how large a root system for a Lotus gets

12. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Grrr. Why must what I want be uncommon. Finding a used 65 seems pretty rare and just the tank isn't really sold on its own. I guess I'll have to save $350 for the tank and stand combo