65 Gallon Community Stocking Advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Andy578, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Andy578New MemberMember

decided to shy away from the cichlids until i get a 5-6ft tank down the road so i can do it properly so i'd like to go with an easy community tank. it's a 3ft 65 gallon currently lightly planted but i plan to add a few more plants. it'll likely be a mix of real and artificial then after i pull the trigger on fish and i'll swap out the artificial plants as i go.

looking at pearl gourami as a center piece. was thinking maybe 3, is all 1 gender ok? angel are also a possibility but i'm not a huge fan of them. open to other suggestions. biggest thing is i wanted something that gets at least 4" and want to have at least 2 of them.

probably a swarm (20-30) of tetras. i'm thinking half cardinal tetra and half something else of a similar size. will different types of tetras school together? if so i could probably do a few different types

for the bottom i was thinking 6-10 Cory and possibly a pair of German rams or apistogramma. the apistogramma are hard to find here (have yet to find any) but i've heard Rams can be hard to care for. everything else on the list seems to be readily available.

currently running an Aqueon 75 HOB along with a sponge filter rated for 60 gallons. at some point within the next few months i will end up swapping the HOB for a fluval 307

open to any and all suggestions/criticism. i'm absolutely not committed to anything at this point

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

You can do multiple different species of tetra, but they shouldn't school together. I'd do two species, 15 of each. 6 is the minimum for one species.
    As far as the pearl gouramis go, you can try all the same gender but if they are all male it may not work out.
    I'd do 12 sterbai or duplicareus cories, go for a warmer water species since you want German blue rams.

3. Andy578New MemberMember

i was thinking 3 females so there's no fighting. i'm not opposed 2 female and 1 male or even 3 and 1(4 maybe too many?) but i'd be worried about the male being a jerk. i'd also rather prevent breeding. i guess it wouldn't be hard to scoop up the eggs but knowing me i'd forget and end up with hundreds of babies swimming around

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I don't think you'd have to worry about breeding, the babies would likely be eaten before they have a chance to grow. But yeah, 3 females would be ideal.

5. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I've got 4 female pearls and they get along perfectly. I'd be careful and double check that everyone can handle the high temps that the German rams require. Typically 80f is the minimum for healthy rams. You could also look into Bolivian rams. Those have a lower temperature range

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The fish I recommended I made sure to be warmer water fish, but yeah, for the other species of tetra they would need to be as well obviously. There are other dwarf cichlid options besides rams though, like Apistogramma or rainbow cichlids.

7. Andy578New MemberMember

i haven't been able to find Apistogramma anywhere locally yet. rainbows seem like a decent choice too but again haven't seen them anywhere.

i think the only temperature issue is with the Cory. from what i can tell 80f is pretty much the limit for most of them

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

There are some warm-water cories. Sterbai, duplicareus, adolfoi, aeneus, etc. @Coradee I believe knows some more options, I forget some of them as it's been quite a while since I've posted about it lol.