65 Gallon Aquarium Build

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Everyone,

Just picked up this second hand 65 gallon aquarium recently and if you want to follow the build I will post updates to this thread. Have not decided if this will be a community tank yet, but I am leaning towards that as I have a 75 gallon african cichlid tank already. I was also thinking about doing a planted tank, but not sure if I want to take on that stress haha. If you have any stocking ideas, throw those ideas down below. I will update this post as more of my equipment comes in the mail.

aquarium.jpg

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
oscar tank!
probably could keep only 1 or 2 in a 65g? They are very cool fish, get quite large... Never kept them tho.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also got a used 65, and am in the process of stocking it. As of now it holds one koi angelfish, 4 super red plecos, and 12 each of turquoise rainbowfish and black neon tetras.

I have 20 lemon tetras ordered that will hopefully arrive this week. They'll be going into quarantine for a few weeks and then they'll be added. After that I plan on a school of corys (still haven't decided on species), and that will be it.

If you decide on a community tank that may give you some ideas. By the way, it's planted, like all my other tanks.

RiverFisher87

Reaction score
I would say maybe not an Oscar as they can live in a 65 no question, but it most certainly won't thrive, to me it would be a waste of a large tank like that for one fish that won’t even thrive, maybe do a few medium large Americans cichlids, like jack dempseys, Texas, convicts, parrot and etc, a small group of them with a school of smaller type fish would be awesome! Or I also saw someone do a livebearer only 50 gallon which was very cool, but also I imagine crazy costly. You could have some platys, mollies, swordtails, and guppies, and start with around 8 of each then watch them populate the tank like crazy, and they come in so many colours, certainly would be a site to see!

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RiverFisher87 said:
I would say maybe not an Oscar as they can live in a 65 no question, but it most certainly won't thrive, to me it would be a waste of a large tank like that for one fish that won’t even thrive, maybe do a few medium large Americans cichlids, like jack dempseys, Texas, convicts, parrot and etc, a small group of them with a school of smaller type fish would be awesome! Or I also saw someone do a livebearer only 50 gallon which was very cool, but also I imagine crazy costly. You could have some platys, mollies, swordtails, and guppies, and start with around 8 of each then watch them populate the tank like crazy, and they come in so many colours, certainly would be a site to see!
Thank you for the advice! I was honestly leaning toward some tetras, the rummy nose tetras caught my eye especially with there schooling behaviour. Maybe throw in some neons as well in a group. I will keep updating the thread tho, have to wait for the tank to cycle anyway.

RiverFisher87

Reaction score
JasonJun said:
Thank you for the advice! I was honestly leaning toward some tetras, the rummy nose tetras caught my eye especially with there schooling behaviour. Maybe throw in some neons as well in a group. I will keep updating the thread tho, have to wait for the tank to cycle anyway.
Yeah, that sounds great, with my 29 gallon I just did a school of danios and love it, you could do a big tank of tetras, get maybe 4 schools of 15 fish a piece, like you said 15 runny nose, 15 neons, 15 of another kind of tetra, then could either do 15 more of another kind or do 15 Cory catfish! Mostly all tetras are small, should eat the fry, don’t need a lot of room, and all have great colour and school amazing! Most definitely worth it!

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RiverFisher87 said:
Yeah, that sounds great, with my 29 gallon I just did a school of danios and love it, you could do a big tank of tetras, get maybe 4 schools of 15 fish a piece, like you said 15 runny nose, 15 neons, 15 of another kind of tetra, then could either do 15 more of another kind or do 15 Cory catfish! Mostly all tetras are small, should eat the fry, don’t need a lot of room, and all have great colour and school amazing! Most definitely worth it!
Cool! do you have any pictures of your tanks! Once all this quarantine stuff is over, will definitely head into the fish store to have a look.

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Be careful with the tank so close to the window, too much direct sunlight and you will have so much green algae in no time.

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lebeeze said:
Be careful with the tank so close to the window, too much direct sunlight and you will have so much green algae in no time.
Yes, for sure not my first choice in location. Gonna try and keep the blinds down. Went with a white background as opposed to white to try and help with that. We will see how it goes.

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JasonJun said:
Yes, for sure not my first choice in location. Gonna try and keep the blinds down. Went with a white background as opposed to white to try and help with that. We will see how it goes.
Okay I was just making sure to let you know just in case you weren't aware.

Good luck with the tank in general, let us know when you decide on stocking I love seeing different tank builds!

Also can I ask you a question? I have an african cichlid tank, been setup about a month or month and a half now. What do I feed them so they dont get this bloat? I've already had 2 fish die from it and a 3rd I'm treating right now.

What do you feed your Africans? I have all peacocks and haps btw, except 1 yellow lab that was sold to me as a peacock( lfs amazing )

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oops I meant white instead of black* and I appreciate the heads up. How much:how often and what fish food are you feeding them now? I only feed mine north fin food and have had good luck with it so far. Are you also taking 1 day off feeding, I find that helps with bloat

RiverFisher87

Reaction score
Yeah, keep posting on here with everything you do, first it gives everyone on the apps stuff to do, and then it can also teach others what not to do, even if you tank completely flops, post about it!!

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
JasonJun said:
Oops I meant white instead of black* and I appreciate the heads up. How much:how often and what fish food are you feeding them now? I only feed mine north fin food and have had good luck with it so far. Are you also taking 1 day off feeding, I find that helps with bloat
Do you mean like feed them every other day instead of everyday? I've been feeding them 2 to 3 times a day lol.

Will post pics of what I use to feed

I know its alot of foods but I like to feed them a variety, I think maybe I'm feeding too much I never skip a day.

I'm new to african cichlids and I got them all small so I was trying to get them to grow fast.

Attachments

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lebeeze said:
Do you mean like feed them every other day instead of everyday? I've been feeding them 2 to 3 times a day lol.

Will post pics of what I use to feed

I know its alot of foods but I like to feed them a variety, I think maybe I'm feeding too much I never skip a day.

I'm new to african cichlids and I got them all small so I was trying to get them to grow fast.
Sorry I should have clarified, I meant that I. Usually skip 1 Day a week of feeding. I also feed 2x a day but I only have experience with mbunas. I did hear a variety is good for peacocks tho. Maybe someone with experience with peacocks can chime in.

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JasonJun said:
A classic combo is rummies and cardinals with some German blue rams (or gold, electric blue, or black) rams as centerpiece and sterbai cories for bottom dwellers. It is a well-balanced tank with lots of has color, activity, and personality.

OP
J

JasonJun

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Otocinclus13 said:
A classic combo is rummies and cardinals with some German blue rams (or gold, electric blue, or black) rams as centerpiece and sterbai cories for bottom dwellers. It is a well-balanced tank with lots of has color, activity, and personality.
how many of each would you suggest?

This is the current status of the tank, dosing stability and ammonia. Any ideas on scape? Not sure if I’ll keep those corals or the fake plants in, just tossed in what I had left from my last tank build, not sure on the direction I want to take it yet. Ideas appreciated

Attachments

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I were you I would figure out what you want your centerpiece fish to be and then you can build around them!

If you want angels there are certain fish that dont do well with Angel's, but might so well with GBR etc...

Just a thought

New Threads