63g: Tank progression and adding hardscape

bermese2002

Hi Everyone :) so this might be a long one...

My 240l (63g) has been set up since October 2015, and I've rearranged it multiple times since then. I've put together a bit of a progression timeline below, just showing the tank as a whole -

01/10/15 - tank first set up

2015-10-01.jpg

05/09/16 - About a year later (when I added the devil's mossballs and introduced hair moss to my tank :( )

2016-09-22.JPG

31/10/16 - Halloween and the point where my amazon sword looked it's absolute best

2016-10-31.JPG

13/08/17 - A year later and I've rearranged the tank

2017-08-13.JPG

03/09/17 - New plants and the tank is looking a bit better

2017-09-03.JPG

20/10/19 - Bit of a time jump here. I had my first son during this time and as you can see, the tank suffered. Tardis was removed as it was a dead spot inside and the paint was peeling. Plants were rearranged a bit and it's all just looking a bit meh and disorganised (daytime pic, so sorry for the reflections)

2019-10-20.JPG

28/11/19 - The last reorganisation of the tank and looking fairly tidy again

2019-11-28.JPG

09/10/20 - Some growth over the last year and a lot of algae build up on the front glass

2020-10-09.jpg

18/06/21 - Almost a year later again and I started to restock some fish. Anubias was trimmed back significantly and plants cleared from the front area.

2021-06-18.jpg

24/07/21 (now) - new LED bulbs, some good growth and fish stocking is ongoing

2021-07-24.jpg

If you've made it this far, well done!

I'm just not overly happy with the tank to be honest, it's growing well, but I feel like there's a lot of anubias in there, the beautiful piece of wood has been swallowed up and I'm having issues with algae. I'm hoping the otos will help some with the algae on the glass, but I'm honestly lost about how to confront the hair algae. It's just everywhere!

I just can't figure out the best way to approach the tank now. I don't want to pull everything out, because the amazon sword seems particularly affected by this and I really don't want it to die back again now that it's finally growing well. But I'm just bored of the vast quantity of anubias in there, and the lack of any real visible hardscape.

So what would you do with this tank? How would you approach adding more interest?

A few notes: we have a second baby on the way, and I don't have a CO2 system or anything, so really low tech plant suggestions if you have any. All I do in the way of fertilisers at the moment is fertiliser tabs in the sand near the amazon sword (replaced every 3 months), and liquid fertiliser added weekly after a water change.

carsonsgjs

I think your tank has come on leaps and bounds bermese, it looks really good now.

I think i said this on one of your other threads, but really consider adding a background to make everything in your tank stand out and pop. Not the easiest when it is set up and as large as yours, but still possible. You would be amazed at the difference it makes.

In terms of plants, i dont think theres too much anubias in there. But then again, its my favourite plant because its indestructible! Maybe consider other varieties to mix it up a bit? Or other plants with similar care requirements - bucephalandra, bolbitis, java fern etc.

For hardscape, maybe some larger pieces of wood or spider wood to create a bit of height at the back.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

I think your tank has come on leaps and bounds bermese, it looks really good now.

I think i said this on one of your other threads, but really consider adding a background to make everything in your tank stand out and pop. Not the easiest when it is set up and as large as yours, but still possible. You would be amazed at the difference it makes.

In terms of plants, i dont think theres too much anubias in there. But then again, its my favourite plant because its indestructible! Maybe consider other varieties to mix it up a bit? Or other plants with similar care requirements - bucephalandra, bolbitis, java fern etc.

For hardscape, maybe some larger pieces of wood or spider wood to create a bit of height at the back.

Yes, we did didn't we! I'm going to order some black card now and tape it to the back. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes.

I have a feeling the green wall behind the tank isn't helping with how green the tank looks to me :p

I'd definitely be interested in adding some spider wood as well. I think it just needs some contrast in there.

Thanks for the plant suggestions. I'll take a look at them :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mrnegi
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question