63g stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

I currently have a 40g with the following stock:

10x neon tetra
    5x sterbai cory
    6x male cherry barbs
    1x dwarf gourami
    1x BN

I just purchased a 63g? (240L) and would like to move existing stock to this new tank.. I would like some suggestions on weird and unusual/uncommon looking fish, snails, incerts etc to add.. This tank will be low light planted with sand substrate. I love black ghost knife but as i understand they get too big.. I also love fresh water gobbies, rainbow sharks, elephant nose and kuhli loaches but know nothing about them... I definately want something unusual and different looking. Tank is fully enclosed with a hood. Would love a snail or some sort of invert that helps with the "gardening" of a planted tank i love the look of algea so happy for algea eaters to. Open to suggestions

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Are you willing to buy online?
    If so, I'd get a pair of apistogrammas.

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I'm going to back the apistos. Your average person doesn't have them and they are pretty cool looking.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well after both my Apistos died, I'm gonna have to suggest not going with them. A rainbow shark would work. Also, how about some Trifasctia(sp?) rainbowfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. LiterallyHydro

Why did your apistos die? They are pretty hardy if I remember correctly.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well I'm pretty sure one died from shock and didn't make it during the night after I added some fish in. The other one just died yesterday and I have no idea why.

7. LiterallyHydro

I see. How were they acclimated?

And to the OP: If you don't go with apistos, there are also other dwarf cichlids like rams and rainbow cichlids.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Floating bag method... 30 minutes then a cup of tank water every 5 minutes for 25 minutes.

9. Anders247

Well, you might have just had bad stock. I wouldn't let that scare you away from apistos.

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm actually starting to think one of the paradise fish is being a bully. The agassizi that passed away on Sunday was the smallest bugger in the tank. The paradise was chasing one of the kribs this morning. I'm gonna have to continue to monitor this.
    Anyway yea to the OP, dont let my situation stop you from getting an Apisto, they're real beautiful, especially the triple reds!

11. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Ive seen some i like of the apistos however they like lower ph? My tap water is 8ph and my tank sits around 7.5ph

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Most tank-raised fish can adapt to the pH of the tank if you acclimate them slowly when you first get them.

13. OP
    OP
    K

What about butterfly fish or phantom glass catfish?

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The phantom glass fish supposedly grows up to 10" so they would not work in your tank. You'd probably need at least 125g or so.

15. OP
    OP
    K

Ok so yesturday i ran round to all my local pet stores and aquarium shops to see what i liked would any of these work? Keep in mind if any will eat my tetra when fully grown im willing to take that risk.
    - Koi angles (angles in general)
    - blue/ gold balloon rams
    - balloon molly
    - rainbow/golden shark
    - rams in general
    - butterfly fish
    - upside down catfish

I really like zebra nerite snails too..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. Anders247

Angels would eat the neon tetras when older. I would not be doing balloon mollies or rams because they are bred to have a deformed spine and are more susceptible to disease and have a shorter lifespan because of it.
    What is a golden shark? A rainbow would work, but only one because they hate their own species.
    Rams would work. Butterfly fish would probably eat neon tetras.
    Upside down catfish would work, and they need a group of 6+.

17. OP
    OP
    K

Ok so balloons are out.. Golden shark is the albino version of rainbow shark apparently..

18. OP
    OP
    K

Aqadvisor says rainbow shark would be too aggressive for tetras and cherry barbs?

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, the rainbow shark will probably try to eat anything that could fit in its mouth, including 2" tetras.

20. OP
    OP
    K

Would any apistos i can source locally work? Or are there some more recommended for my tank? Can you keep more than 1 in a tank?

Do butterfly fish need schools or can just 2 or so be kept?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice