610 gallon stock tank pond

Katie993

We are starting to plan a 610 gallon pond for next year. Aqadvisor isn't really helpful for our stocking because we'd like to add koi and they aren't in their database. We are in southern Indiana so the fish will need to be pretty cold hardy. I do know that goldfish do fine through the winter here but how will koi hold up? We were also thinking maybe dojo loaches. How will they hold up? I'm assuming I need to keep the surface from icing up so can I use a stock tank deicer for that or is there something else that works better? I haven't started looking at filters yet because I wanted to settle on stocking first so I know what I'm looking at for filtration but, in my tanks, I try to overfilter by double the needed amount so we're probably looking at around 1000 gallons. I have a small pond, about 80 gallons, with a waterfall but I tear it down in the winter and move the fish inside so I don't have any experience building to overwinter them outside. Will we have to set the pond in the ground or would it be fine sitting on top? I'm not worried about the stock tank not holding up if its on top but, I'm a bit worried about the fish needing the insulation they would have from the dirt if it was set in. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

LeviS

I can't help with the stocking. If you have the capability for it to be in the ground that would be better insulation and help avoid temperature swings including the summer months. Im going to set up a small pond and try white cloud mountain minnows if i can ever find some. Im in South Alabama and we don't have hard winters here. Maybe research the koi temperatures and see what their low end is, ideally would want it to be a little above that recommendation but I know it varies what they like vs what they will live in.

Upvote 0

Katie993

I can't help with the stocking. If you have the capability for it to be in the ground that would be better insulation and help avoid temperature swings including the summer months. Im going to set up a small pond and try white cloud mountain minnows if i can ever find some. Im in South Alabama and we don't have hard winters here. Maybe research the koi temperatures and see what their low end is, ideally would want it to be a little above that recommendation but I know it varies what they like vs what they will live in.
I have done research on them but was hoping for some advice from someone that keeps them successfully through hard winters. This winter for my small pond, I think I’ll be putting plastic over my pond and seeing how the goldfish do with that. If the goldfish make it, the koi should definitely make it in a bigger pond.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • LHanna61
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
kansas
  • Anthonyg
  • Ponds
Replies
Views