60x30x36 Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MJK, Jun 18, 2019.

1. MJKNew MemberMember

Hi Everyone,
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/media/d6fcac9b-bf18-4077-913c-697d06c7cf89.249150/

Need a bit of clarification for LED lightings for aquarium. What is the difference between the white lights and the red lights for growing of plants? Will the plant growth be affected? How about the power of the LED lights? Higher Watts = Better? Also for 60X30X36 Tank, how many litres of soil do I actually need? 3 litres is it enough? Any difference between the cheap soil and the ADA aquasoil?

Thanks everybody

2. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

On the lights, up to a certain price point you get better par as you go up in price for the most part. Past that, and you get more features. Past that and you get more efficiency. Watts are almost useless with led due to the fact you can get power hungry LEDs that wont do much for you, or super bright ones. Nobody likes to disclose what they use so unless you know LEDs pretty well, you wont know either. If you give us a price point ballpark, we can recommend some lights. I suggest lurking on a planted forum for better lighting info as they have done an incredible amount of advanced work in the area.

For substrate, you mostly get what you pay for. Ada also has the name factor going on so you pay a bit of a premium for them. Amazonia from ada is the gold standard but I believe its discontinued. If I remember correctly, aquasoil and fluval stratum are almost definitely the same product. Try and stay with an aquatic soil though. The other products dont seem to do as well.