1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

60g Tall Having A Hard Time Finding Plants That Will Thrive In Such A Tall Tank

1. s

shelly0000 New Member Member

We have been having a hard time finding plants that will thrive in this tall tank. We are using a Finnex planted 24/7 light. We use plant food. Could substrate be an issue? It's a mix we found at a co-op fish store called Super Sand. "This is a coarse sand that is optimal for growing plants and allowing root hair growth. It is much heavier than other sands but not as large as gravel. It is Cenex brand sand if you can find it locally at a gravel yard. It has been washed and kiln dried and is ready to go into a tank with very little dust."

We received these beautiful red plants and it's been terrible watching them "melt" away. If using Co2 and other complicated methods are needed to grow red plants then that's not for us. With our busy lives, 3 kids, 2 cats, 1 dog, 3 birds and 4 tanks (60g, 2 20g long, 10g) we have plenty of upkeep chores to do. ;) Not to mention our garden!

Any who, I'm hoping some of you could give us some insight as to what we could change, add or try!

Thank you! 20170807_060346.jpg 20170807_061322.jpg 20170807_061334.jpg

2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Are you using any root tabs? If you aren't using actual soil, it is recommended you use root tab fertilizers. Like Seachem flourish. It will give the roots direct nutrients. Also how clean is your tank? You need to let the nitrates build up some. So not changing the water until it is closer to 40ppm is better for the plants. I also have heard that if you have carbon in your filter, it will absorb any plant food type minerals you add to the tank. So it is recommended that you remove the carbon.

I am very new at plants, but these are the tips I was given to help. So hopefully it helps you too.

Advertisement

3. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

In a 60 tall you just have to great a distance to the substrate, you may have to just grow low light plants or get more intense lights. I would recommend just trying low light plants, unfortunately not many red plants are low light.

For this reason I had my lfs order me a 40b, same footprint but shorter.
    Also use the 24/7 and pps-pro ferts, waiting for finances to recover and get co2. I believe you can have a really nice low tech planted tank with the 60 just may be triAl and error on which plants thrive.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    s

We don't use root tabs, no carbon in the filters. We use API leaf zone with flourish excel. We do weekly water changes. The filters are optimized for mechanical and biological filtration so to get to 40ppm would be difficult.

We have suspected that we may need to add to our substrate... ferts, soil, etc.

Thank you for the input!

5. OP
    OP
    s

Toolman trial and error seems to be correct. My 20g long thrives beautifully. I have the same substrate along with a small amount of eco complete. The extra 12 inches in the 60g tall seems make a difference. We have discussed using rocks for a base to raise the bed level.

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I also have a tall tank, and for this reason alone I don't like it. I would highly suggest root tabs, as this will help plants. Other than that your biggest obstacle is lighting. I run a 24/7 on a 24" T tank and a 18" T tank, both have inert sand, the plants (all low light/easy plants) in the tall tank are surviving, while the ones in the shallow tank are exploding. I use root tabs in the tall tank, while I sprinkled osmacote directly under the sand in the shallow tank. Maybe try adding a second light to the 60 and see how that goes, along with root tabs.

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Root tabs are a necessity, especially for the swords and crypt wendtii.
    Given proper ferts the swords will soon grow and take up plenty of space. Bacopa regularly reaches the top of my 24", along with parrots feather, cabomba, hygrophilia polysperma (illegal in us, I believe willow hygro will do the same), anacharis, etc.
    Most stems will fill in and reach the top, you've got good ferts and good lighting, you just need to give it some time and get those root tabs in there.

Red plants are a bit more fussy then others, the Ludwigia repens will start getting more pinkish after it fully adjusts to the tank...
    Crypt wendtii also has red variations that would do well for a pop of color.
    Aponogeton bolivanus grows very quickly and tall, another one you can try.

8. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I'm growing telanthera in two of my tanks right now. Neither of them are as tall as yours, but I'm not running any CO2 or super high lights and they're doing well. I don't have root tabs but I do use flourish
    19e2ad1b958107d517ff29a0d919e286.jpg afe405c90aa172a9106c1520b15131fc.jpg
    Since I took those phitos, the telanthera has grown even taller and has put out more roots

9. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I also have alternanthera reineckii, should've mentioned it... i have it in my 40b with a 24/7, good ferts and excel, and it regularly reaches the top of my tank... took awhile to adjust to my tank though, likely due to no co2 (AR mini took off immediately in a co2 tank)

10. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Valued Member Member

I have mine in front of a window and just use blinds to control sunlight on side of the tank for my tall main tank . It is 69 gallons . But I cheat and use the sun ... don't have to heat the water with heaters though as long as I maintain how much sun light comes in . I know ppl say don't do that but my fish are super healthy and my plants grow like crazy .I've ever once had one algae problem in three years . So I keep ontop of how much comes in to keep water at about the same temp . Only need heaters for winter . Although the point of me saying all of this is I have sunlight come from the top and back side of my tank . Try placing some lights on the back side of your tank and see if that helps . Good luck