Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 260 Litre (60g) tank with 9 Black phantom tetras (was 10), two large 5.5 inch Yoyo Loaches and one adult male veiltail angelfish.

I have just purchased a Cinta Malaysian white/gold Albino Discus and plan to buy at least 3 more. Giving me a group of 4. My question was could I have 6 total or would 4 be plenty?
The tank will get at least one 50% water change a week, sometimes 2. The one I already have is 10cm so I am going to be purchasing them arund 10-15cm as I dont want to have to deal with daily 50% water changes that come with baby discus.

Thanks for any input.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Years ago I successfully kept six Discus in a 58 Gal. Oceanic tank. A couple of them grew as large as a salad plates. I didn't alter the water and only one 50% WC a week.
I currently keep Y. Modesta & Berdmorei Tiger loaches and know how valuable Botia Loaches, like your YoYos are, regarding bottom cleanup duty. They should be a big plus for your Discus setup. My only concern is the Botia Loaches busy nocturnal activity. Might be a good idea to add one or two more YoYo's to ensure they are too busy pestering each other instead of bothering the Discus.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually see a few problems with this...
First off, temperature incompatibility. Those tetras top out at 82, and the base for discus should be 84, after that, the yo yo loaches shouldn't go higher than 80, preferably no higher than 78. That, and they should be in bigger groups; at least 4
Second, the possibility of the angel being aggressive towards the discus, but that's really just hit or miss so I won't get into it
Last, ideally you should have a group of at least 5, and that means a 75 gallon tank too. You would be able to have 6 in that tank with ease though
How big is the current discus? If it's less than 3" you should be doing a small change every day or every other day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom