600 Gallon Pentair Tank

Deb33

Here's our 600 gallon Pentair fiberglass tank with 5 foot viewing window. This tank is home to our 16 year old Australian Fly River turtle named "Ra" that we have had since he was the size of a silver dollar. They are no longer legal in the pet trade, but were at the time that we purchased him from a reptile dealer in Chicago. They are omnivorous when young and become more herbivores as they get older, but he has always had companion fish and has never eaten any. He's currently housed with Australian Rainbowfish. (I've included a pic of Ra the day he arrived. He was in rough shape but came around quickly with lots of care. He was, at that point, in his 110 gallon grow-out tank. Also a pic of Ra after he'd been with us for 6 months.)
600 gallon in crate.jpg
ra.jpg
Ra with his Rainbowfish.jpg
Ra 1-16.jpg
Ra after 6 months.jpg
Ras first day.jpg

slayer5590

A Fly River Turtle is a bucket list item for me but sadly only captive breds are legal in the US and no imports are allowed.

Deb33

A Fly River Turtle is a bucket list item for me but sadly only captive breds are legal in the US and no imports are allowed.
We were fortunate to find ours before they became unavailable to the pet trade, but there are zoos and rescue organizations that do look for homes for the turtles that are seized by customs. Since they have problems with conspecific aggression, zoos are overwhelmed trying to house them. You might try contacting the Bronx Zoo in NY for more information as they are very involved with this species.

Fishem02

I love that fly river turtle!!!
He is so adorable

tyguy7760

Adorable turtle!

Protim Sarkar

Good looking turtle !

TexasDomer

Super cool!

Deb33

Thanks for all the compliments! It is super rewarding to have been able to watch him grow and thrive. He's got a big personality and loves to be pampered. Even comes over to have his shell rubbed during water changes. Here are a couple pics of him and his daddy from when he was still in the 300 gallon tank.
Ra in 300 gallon.jpg
Ra getting some love in 300 gallon.jpg

tyguy7760

adorable!

TexasDomer

It's so nice to see someone properly caring for their animals, and providing them with a big tank!

speedt102

Very cool!

Redshark1

Very interesting!

Big Red

Whats the filtration on this hoss. Nice turt. Got a soft spot for them.

Deb33

Whats the filtration on this hoss. Nice turt. Got a soft spot for them.
Thanks, he's quite a character. Filtration is Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II.
600 gallon filtration.jpg

Protim Sarkar

It is a good filter.

Big Red

Nice filter. Is it noisy?

learybhoy

Cool set up the filter is mint how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking

Deb33

Not overly noisy. More of a gentle hum. The room it's in is a fish room with 7 other tanks and a dehumidifier, so I guess the whole room kind of hums. Fortunately, it's a relaxing sort of hum...

Deb33

Cool set up the filter is mint how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking
I don't mind at all. The actual filter itself was in the $500-$600 range. Pump is a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda gold $400-$500 range and then all the schedule 80 unions, bulkheads and double union ball valves, etc... Bottom line, filtration cost was approx $1400 by doing the plumbing ourselves. The tank was just under $2k. Giving an Australian Fly River turtle what they need is not for the faint of heart. LOL

TexasDomer

That's so awesome of you!

Big Red

I enjoy the sound of water anyway. How much does the pump increase temp? Sorry for all the questions. Ive considered external pumps but the extra leak factor shys me away.

Deb33

I enjoy the sound of water anyway. How much does the pump increase temp? Sorry for all the questions. Ive considered external pumps but the extra leak factor shys me away.
I don't mind at all. The pump is pretty efficient for such a large pump. Might add a couple of degrees but for us that's no problem. The turtle has to have the water quite warm so it just means the heaters don't have to work as hard.

Big Red

I hear ya on that. That's why I use mag drive in my sump it increases temp by 4 or 5. I have to add a heater in winter time but summer it keeps it at 79.9.

My wife loves turtles as well she wouldnt give me the tablet back. I hope there arnt any at repticon today. Its like a freshwater seaturtle, she thought the turtle being rubbed was adorable. Haha

learybhoy

Nice turtle + fish nice set up have you got any pictures showing them all together ?

Deb33

Nice turtle + fish nice set up have you got any pictures showing them all together ?
"Ra" started out in a 110 with some baby Frontosa. When he moved to his 300 gallon, he lived with some adult silver dollars and Synodontis catfish. Unfortunately, that tank had the seal fail all along the bottom and in the morning it was empty and all the fish dead. In his current 600 gallon, his roommates are Australian rainbowfish.
Little RA & Frontosa 11-6-01.jpg
Frontosa & Little RA Checking Out Lettuce 2-14-02.jpg
That Is Not Lettuce 2-14-02.jpg
Ra with rainbows.jpg

learybhoy

Really smart you could. Swear ra was smiling looks really happy I would love to try keeping both one day

Thurgood11

Great looking Rainbows! Ra seems to be thriving!

A LFS here in Houston, TX has several of these turtles in their display tanks. I'll have to take a picture of them next time I go.

What is the temperature set at? If you can please share the types of rainbows stocked

TexasDomer

A LFS here in Houston, TX has several of these turtles in their display tanks. I'll have to take a picture of them next time I go.

What is the temperature set at? If you can please share the types of rainbows stocked

I think I know what LFS you're talking about

Deb33

Temperature is set at 82 degrees. Rainbows are Turquoise, Boesemani, Irian Red, Bleheri, Wanamensis, Goyder River, Northern, Inornata, Praecox, Melanotaenia maccullochi. Would love to see pics from your LFS!

Thurgood11

Fish Gallery in Houston. My 2 year old son in front of their huge display tank.

3eec7567b36d1d8774fa441f3ac6d6af.jpg

learybhoy

Beautiful

Deb33

Fish Gallery in Houston. My 2 year old son in front of their huge display tank.

3eec7567b36d1d8774fa441f3ac6d6af.jpg
Wow, what a tank! (And one very cute little boy!) Thanks for sharing!

Big Red

Yea but his shirt its all wrong lol.

I need to get one of those tanks for the house.

Thurgood11

How is everyone doing?

Deb33

Everyone is doing great, thanks! Only downside to having so many interesting aquariums to watch...we are spending way too much time in the fish room.

TexasDomer

Everyone is doing great, thanks! Only downside to having so many interesting aquariums to watch...we are spending way too much time in the fish room.

I don't think that's a problem...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
andy305mia