60 gallon tank

Emmaleedy3

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post so I'm kind of nervous lol. Anyways! I'm thinking about purchasing a 60 gallon tank, and I was wondering what type of fish I would put in. I'm somewhat experienced (I have four smaller tanks) and I'm interested in keeping angelfish with something else. I would like to maybe keep one, and maybe a dalmatian molly. I just need some ideas with numbers! The tank dimensions are 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emmaleedy3 said:
Hello! This is my first post so I'm kind of nervous lol. Anyways! I'm thinking about purchasing a 60 gallon tank, and I was wondering what type of fish I would put in. I'm somewhat experienced (I have four smaller tanks) and I'm interested in keeping angelfish with something else. I would like to maybe keep one, and maybe a dalmatian molly. I just need some ideas with numbers! The tank dimensions are 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H
Here is my 60g

I currently have 4 juvenile angles. I Planning on nature taking its course and see how many I can happily keep as they mature.

You definitely could keep a few Molly’s in there. Then maybe mix in some schools of tetras and corys to add depth and activity.

it’s a fun tank with plenty of space. My only complaint is that the height is a curse and a blessing. Lots of levels for swimming but it is deep while messing with decor, but you get used to it.

Attachments

OP
Emmaleedy3

Emmaleedy3

Reaction score
Your tank is beautiful! How many mollies would you think? And if I decide against the mollies, would honey dwarf gouramI work? I've read mixed reviews about the dwarf gourami.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emmaleedy3 said:
Your tank is beautiful! How many mollies would you think? And if I decide against the mollies, would honey dwarf gouramI work? I've read mixed reviews about the dwarf gourami.
I know Molly’s are known to be a little higher bio load fish but I wouldn’t see why you couldn’t easily do 5-8 and still have room for a Small school of tetras or corys.

I think your safe with Honey Gouramis, I see them recommended on here a lot. Sometimes people recommend keeping them in trios though.

the only Gouramis people tend to say to stay from is the Dwarf Gouramis. You find these at most chain pet stores and are nice looking fish. But I believe from being overbred that they tend to be disease prone. I would wait for more input though. I don’t have much experience with them!

You do have a bit of options as angels do tend to do alright with other community fish as long as there is enough space for everyone and they aren’t too little for them to eat.

OP
Emmaleedy3

Emmaleedy3

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help!! All of my tanks are on the smaller side so I am blown away by all of the things I can have!

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emmaleedy3 said:
Thank you so much for your help!! All of my tanks are on the smaller side so I am blown away by all of the things I can have!
A bigger tank does give tons of flexibility. I envy the people on here with 125+ gallons of water to play with!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That’s a nice tank. It’s a show tank. A little bit higher than a 55. Many fish will do well in it. If going with mollies just get one sex. Last thing you’ll want is them mating and you ending up with hundreds of mollies. Angels would be nice. Cory’s and tetras before mollies :) (my opinion).
It’s a deep tank so if your thinking of plants you’ll need lighting to reach deep into the tank. Probably 2 48” led fixtures and some good filters. Good luck lots of fun ahead :).

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
That’s a nice tank. It’s a show tank. A little bit higher than a 55. Many fish will do well in it. If going with mollies just get one sex. Last thing you’ll want is them mating and you ending up with hundreds of mollies. Angels would be nice. Cory’s and tetras before mollies :) (my opinion).
It’s a deep tank so if your thinking of plants you’ll need lighting to reach deep into the tank. Probably 2 48” led fixtures and some good filters. Good luck lots of fun ahead :).
I agree with lighting. That is one of the toughest parts about the height. If you want to do anything more than low light plants you will mostly likely want 2 fixtures as suggested.

I did okay with some low light plants using the stock fixture on my tank for a little while though.

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 2 Angel's, 2 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami, 4 German Blue Rams, 6 skunk cory and 3 schools of tetras in my 60, the only aggression I've ever seen is from the GBR just fighting eachother over territory lol. I have to do 2 30% water changes a week cause I'm a bit overstocked but it's worth it for me I love it!

OP
Emmaleedy3

Emmaleedy3

Reaction score
That sounds like a beautiful tank! I've been looking at the German blue rams! What kind of tetras do you have, and how many are in each school?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gbrs are great fish but need warm water 82+. So finding tank mates is harder. Angels cardinals will work. Some plants may melt but all of mine came back. My temp is 84.

New Threads