60 Gallon Tank Maintenance

jtino

I have a 60 gallon acrylic tank from Clear For Life with a black background. I will have a Fluval 407 canister filter with an intake sponge. I plan on using light colored sand as substrate for the first time and i was wondering if it would be beneficial to have a wave maker to make sure that debris gets into the filter. i understand i will still have to vacuum clean from time to time but would a wave maker help that much with this setup? my concern is the dark the debris always being on that light colored sand.

i also plan on putting red line torpedo barbs in the tank and i heard they like a gentle water flow, would this be a concern for them?

ForceTen

I have sand as well and vacuuming is not easy. So I never vacuum. I bought a wave maker but its way to strong. However, I do use it after a cleaning to stir things up so the filters can catch the particulate.

I have been thinking about a recirculating pump with a filter attached just for this job. To use temporarily after a water change or cleaning. Someone linked me to an above ground pool pump/filter. But I have reservations on quality and possible leaking.
I want to be able to stick two hoses in the tank, turn on the filter/pump and catch much more suspended waste than the filters can. Like this below.

1645809638858.png
I can leave the AC filters off and run this for an hour or so. I think its a great idea and I may build one myself. I have the whole house filter and cartridge. Would need a small portable re-circulation pump and some flexible tubing.
I think would be a great way to remove debris and all other particulate from the water.

This idea was a memory of a set up I saw years ago in a LFS. He used it for each tank and moved it around as needed. No one seems to know anything about this commercial set up. But I know it would be a great help to me.

kakunka

I've got a 55 gallon. . . I have air pumps that run two bio-sponge filters. . . I've fit plastic drink bottles over the output of the filters, these have moving bed media in them that circulate constantly. . . In addition, I have a bubble wall along the back. . . This makes for a great deal of water flow, and aeration. . . as well as a serious reservoir of nitrogen fixing bacteria in the sponge/moving bed media
20220225_123800.jpg. . . I'm not going to mention the two exterior 75 gallon UV-capable 3-stage filters. . . They provide a lot of flow, but having all that hardware connected to a 55 gallon just makes me sound like a nut. . .

I don't think you need a wave generator. . . Just a single good canister filter, or comparable capable of meeting the needs of your aquarium, and some good aeration. . . I'd also be hesitant to upset your barbs. . .

jtino

Thank you. Would replacing the wave generator with a bubble wall be okay?

WRWAquarium

Torpedo barbs aka denisons barbs like high flow well oxygenated water. They are river fish and prefer the lower end of the tropical water temperature. Also dimensions of the tank are more important than capacity, 4 feet length minimum. Wave maker/powerhead not a bad idea in my opinion combined with the 407 outlet using a spray bar.

Just adding that for ya :)

jtino

Torpedo barbs aka denisons barbs like high flow well oxygenated water. They are river fish and prefer the lower end of the tropical water temperature. Also dimensions of the tank are more important than capacity, 4 feet length minimum. Wave maker/powerhead not a bad idea in my opinion combined with the 407 outlet using a spray bar.

Just adding that for ya :)
dimensions of the 60 gallon would be 48L x 15W x 20H. i was planning putting 5 denisons along with a Red Tail Shark, 12 Tiger Barbs, and 4 Kribensis Cichlids. would that work? if i have to get rid of one it would probably be the denisons barbs

kakunka

Thank you. Would replacing the wave generator with a bubble wall be okay?
I think that would work great. It also adds a certain ambiance and movement that I personally dig. . . You can always add more aeration, as well. . . Those cheap little sponge-filter aerators supply air to the water, water movement, and a bit of backup of your nitrogen cycle. . . You don't have to add the moving bed stuff that I like. . . I just enjoy seeing the media rolling around.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
cdwag29
Replies
Views