60 gallon stocking limits

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by heifetz17, Jul 18, 2015.

1. heifetz17

heifetz17 Valued Member Member

I have a 60 gallon with 4 fantail goldfish, and on recommendation from some of you I'm getting a second filter system today so I'll have 680 gph of filtration. Can I have any more goldies with the added filtration or am I still at my limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

You can add 1 more fancy imo!

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

The thing about filtration is theres 3 aspects. Mechanical, Chemical, and Biological. The only one you would improve upon by getting a 2nd filter, is the mechanical. The bacteria in your 1st filter has established to handle the waste produced by the fish. Its the nitrates that are a concern because in our filters, we cant grow the bacteria needed to make nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas because they grow in very specific environments. I have seen larger goldfish tanks with a 40B sump/refugium that will remove nitrates so water changes dont need to be so frequent. Adding another fish, while there may be physical room, and enough bacteria to convert the ammonia, you are adding to the nitrates, which then will climb faster and require less time between PWC's.

Or you could be like my dad and put SEVEN 4-7 inch KOI in a 65 gallon tank, and change the water once every 3 months and say the fish are perfectly healthy.......................... :;nin

4. OP
    OP
    heifetz17

While at the lfs today they had some reticulated butterfly suckermouth fish in the fantail tank. Would that be a possibility rather than an additional goldie?

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

What you saw was probably a Hillstream loach, they need fast flowing highly oxygenated water so wouldn't make good tankmates for your fancies

6. OP
    OP
    heifetz17

Yep that's definitely what they were! Ok thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice