60 Gallon saltwater stocking?

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi. I have a 60 gallon vacant tank not even filled with water yet. I want it to be saltwater. I have an aquaclear 300 filter. the lighting is fine. etc

The pet store said this stocking would be OK as long as I had a fair amount of live rock live rock. *They had 2 tangs in there 90 gallon tank*

my stocking I want to be is

1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang *Dory*
2 Percula or ocerallis clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Maybe a yellow clown goby.

and then 1 Porcupine Puffer added last. or 1 Lionfish.

Would this stocking work? I plan on having about 75 lbs live rock. and have not decided between live sand and coral rubble yet. I will have a protein skimmer and powerhead as well and will do weekly water changes on the tank

Thank you very Much and I look forward to your prompt response

If it would not work. Please make me another stocking list you would suggest

Thanks!

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do not have a SW tank but am doing research on them to set a reef up within the next year.

A lionfish will not mix with the other fish you posted. They will end up eating your smaller fish.

Also, a 60 might be too small to house tangs. They like to swim and need a lot of swimming room

The puffer won't mix well with the other fish and will get too large too.

Do you plan on getting an anemone for the clowns? If so, you need upgraded lighting too.

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use to have a Puffer in a 55 gallon tank *He went blind and died* In with 2 clowns. a cleaner shrimp. a royal gramma and a yellow tang. Also 2 damsels. and he NEVER Bothered them. So. why wouldnt he mix well?

the pet store said that if i Had enough live rock it would be fine

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use to have a Puffer in a 55 gallon tank *He went blind and died* In with 2 clowns. a cleaner shrimp. a royal gramma and a yellow tang. Also 2 damsels. and he NEVER Bothered them. So. why wouldnt he mix well?

the pet store said that if i Had enough live rock it would be fine

A puffer can get 12+" long. A 60 gallon tank isn't big enough, especially if you're putting in a bunch of live rock too. He won't have ANY room to move around when he gets bigger. He also might eat the smaller fish and shrimp.

Why did your puffer die?

A tang can survive in a 55 or 60, but they really should be in a longer tank.

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We dont know why it died. He went blind. stopped eating. got better. then went blind again and Died. Possibly a parasite. we did not have him very long. Possibly sick when we got him. So. If we take the puffer out of the equation. how would the other fish mix. and the 2 tangs would be fine in there? *Blue/yellow?* Or Not. The pet store said if you had about a lb of live rock per gallon and gradually added the fish over spaced out periods it would be fine.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go with only one of the tangs you choose if you absolutely want one. As for the puffer and lion, what kind? It depends on their size and species

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Porcupine Puffer. And i am not sure what kind of lionfish it was. he was upside down and thought he was hiding and he let the pet store employee pet his belly

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A porcupine grows roughly 18" and that's way to big for a 60. I understand that fish in aquarium doesn't get as big as wild ones, but subtract 4 or 5" it would still be too big.

A lion may be possible if its a dwarf species.

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why did the pet store tell me a porcupine would be fine in there Then? The pet store employee Wouldnt steer me the wrong way and is very knowledgable about fish. he said if its the last fish you add and have a good bit of live rock it will work.

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why did the pet store tell me a porcupine would be fine in there Then? The pet store employee Wouldnt steer me the wrong way and is very knowledgable about fish. he said if its the last fish you add and have a good bit of live rock it will work.

Because they are out to make a buck, that's why. Welcome to the real world. lol

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He isnt like that. He wouldnt lie about a tank size. He said that live rock Is so beneficial etc that it makes the tank larger pretty much so it would be fine.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He isnt like that. He wouldnt lie about a tank size. He said that live rock Is so beneficial etc that it makes the tank larger pretty much so it would be fine.
My opinion stands the same and I disagree with your lfs person. I cannot say that he is trying to rip you aff or something. Sure you can have all those fish in a 60 if you want, but it will not be healthy. They would not thrive and you will need to rely more on mechanichal filtration as well.

Live Rock is simply just a home for bacteria. He says its OK if theres a lot of LR because there will be more bacteria to remove the bio-load. Thet makes sense, but think of size as well.

Blue Tang-10"
Yellow Tang-8"
Porcupine 16"

these fish in a 60 gal. will not thrive. IMO, one yellow or blue tang will is over pushing the limit, but the choice is yours and I already gave you my suggestion.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom