60 gallon: potential stocking list

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by hunterjacob, Apr 6, 2010.

1. h

hunterjacob New Member Member

I'm almost through my fish-less cycle (three weeks so far), still a little slow on the nitrite conversion but it's getting there. So, I want to keep a community tank and this is the list I've been thinking of:

6 zebra danios
    6 harlequin rasboras
    2 upside down catfish
    1 striped raphael catfish
    4 kuhli loaches

The only thing I'm not sure about are the rasboras. I might change them for another shoal of different fish so I'd be open to suggestions on that. Also, if you folks think I can squeeze it in there without overstocking, I'd be interested in some kind of dwarf cichlid that I could keep there. So, let me know what you think.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Kuhli loaches are awesome and have a lox bioload. In a 60, you could do 10.

Rams or apistos would work well - you have plenty of room.

It's a good start, and you'll be able to build on what you have.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not a huge fan of Kuhlis. They are lovely fish but the little sods are always hiding, even when kept in big numbers. Personally I prefer Dwarf Chain Loaches or Corys.

A pair of Rams or Apistos would work just like Jaysee said.

I like Lemon Tetras & Rummynose Tetras myself.

You could increase the number of Zebra Danios to 10 & then go with something a little bigger like 6 x Lake Tebera Rainbows or 8 Dwarf Rainbows (M. Praecox).

4. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I'll let the more experienced members guide you on stocking, I just wanted to say that it is nice to see someone who isn't trying to max out their tank right from the get go. It would seem that you did your homework and not only chose to lightly stock, but chose fish that aren't completely incompatible. I commend you for researching first! Just remember to stock slowly as your cycle will not be very strong when it is done. Also quarantine all your fish (including the first batch) for at least 2 weeks before you put anything into your tank. You don't want to have a tank infected with ICH or something like that. Good luck!

5. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I had a raphael catfish for several years.... I only saw him twice in that whole time period. I ended up trading him at a fish swap, he just took up tank space and I never got to enjoy him.

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I think I would swap out the Zebra Danios for 6 Giant Danios since you have a big tank. They are peaceful, active and grow to about 4". Then 6 Gold Barbs would look great with those instead of the Rasboras. They grow to about 2.5". For the bottom I would do 3 Pictus Catfish and a Bristlenose Pleco. I am not familiar with the other catfish you have listed so that Is why I put the Pictus cats, I am fond of those. Kribensis Cichlid might mix will with that stock but not really sure. I lean toward more of a Gold Severum but you wanted dwarf cichlids. lol

Sorry totally different then what you wanted. lol I have differ tastes I guess.

7. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well the striped raphael cat gets about 8.5 inches so be prepared for that. Also I've heard many reviews about how they never see them more than a couple times the entire time they have them. Then the kuhli loaches also are big hiders when I had them they swam up my filter and they made it through a couple times....but then they didn't make it through one day :(

I'm not sure about the upside down cat I don't have time to look him up right now but the one we have at work always hides I usually find him when I'm cleaning off the rocks.

Have you thought maybe about corys or primidelis cats (I spelled that way wrong sorry) Then maybe a clown pleco, rubber lip pleco, or a bristle nose pleco they all stay around 4 inches so then you don't have a monster pleco in a couple years.

Then some other reccomendations I have are maybe some cherry barbs or snakeskin barbs. I really want some snakeskin barbs for my tank they're really peaceful and pretty

8. Shaina

Shaina Well Known Member Member

One voice against many, but my kuhli loaches (the striped variety) are out all the time...I have three and I see all three daily, and they occasionally even swim up into the water column, which is really funny since they have to go turbospeed to stay that high above the substrate.

I wonder if an adult raphael would attempt to eat them though??? I haven't kept raphael cats.

9. OP
    OP
    h

hunterjacob New Member Member

Ok, cycle is all established so I am going to start adding fish tomorrow. I'm going to start with the zebra danios, I decided I will add eight to start. Now, I was thinking of something other than the rasboras and found some serpae tetras at my LFS. What do you guys think? I know sometimes they can be aggressive, but maybe if I have a good sized shoal, say ten or so, they'll contain their behavior to their own kind? What do you think? Should I try the serpaes?

10. raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

well personally i like the harlequin rasboras, i have a small shoal of six and they school all the time, they are a metallic orange color and are very peaceful...they love to play in the bubbles....just my opinion...

11. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

I probably wouldn't try the serpaes just to keep my options open, so later I could get an angel or a gourami or something with long, flowing fins. But, you can do whatever you want, it's your tank, and if you like serpaes, go with serpaes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice